Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sonosax Minir82??  (Read 9624 times)

Offline amfortas2006

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Sonosax Minir82??
« on: January 07, 2008, 05:45:00 PM »
Hi! My first post!

I just got one (Sonosax minir82), and I still have some questions, cause I saw that some of you guys already use it for a longer time:

1. Wich external batteries are the best to use with the minir82? Read in a topic from Jeff that he had some problems with the modulometers using batterygeek powerstick... (i have the DC converter).

2. Wich AA batteries would go good with it (found a charger and batteries from "Swissbatteries.com", they praise theirs and show all kinds of tests made with both the batteries (2700 mAh) and the charger.

3. How happy are you with it (for those of you who are using it)?

4. Where does one get the plug to connect the external battery with the DC converter?

5. Im looking for a nice bag (small) to put it in with my mics, know any?

I still didnt really try it out in a great situation, but it is coming soon (have Schoeps CMC64 ST)

What bothers me about it is that the manual is really badly made (or translated), that a unit worth 4000 Euro is not scratchproof, that they didnt have a piece of plastic to close the CF-card gap (instead it collects dust and you can see the chipset), that it doesnt have limiters on the phones output and that they dont send you a cheap USB cable, but make you go buy one alone. The wooden box that comes with it is not as good as the one they send schoeps in :-)

Otherwise, it seems really good to me til now!  ;D

Thanks!

« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 06:06:15 PM by amfortas2006 »

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
Re: Sonosax Minir82??
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 01:42:04 AM »
I love this machine. 

Batteries: I use 2700 mAh AA cells from Maha, gives about 5 hours on line-in. For long things, I use the small Power Bar from Premium Power, it comes with a jack that's the right fit and runs the machine an extra four hours or so.  I think the issues I had initially with external power supplies were cured by updated firmware for the MiniR82, at least I never saw them again after the January update (there was a further update in June).  The Battery geek Power Stick has to be tested, one I have works fine, another is noisy and you can see it on the modulometer (but I have not actually heard the noise).  If you want to build your own supply, you can use the small standard Radio Shack jack (I think it is size "A").  Or you can buy a DC converter or plug for lots more money from Sonosax.

It fits (alone) just perfectly in an Archos Jukebox gray padded jacket.

Do you have XLR-to-Binder cables for the Schoeps, or are you using a preamp?

Jeff

Offline amfortas2006

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 02:39:26 AM »
Hi Jeff!

I got the binder to 2XLR (Y-cable). No preamps, keeping it simple. Did you also try it like that? Like i said minir+schoeps 64 stereo..

I really like the menus, it is very simple to use.

The switches on the 8-pin inputs, any issues you noticed? The modulometers jumps as far as it goes when one uses them, but i guess it is normal??

Do you use a CF-card with it? I just ordered Sandisk Ultra II...

Forgot to ask You:   ;D

Do You know any smaller medium distance microphones one could use with it without a preamp?

Or could I connect the MK4 capsules directly to the minir with active cables? (I heard some rumours about that)

Thanks a lot!

:help:

« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 08:57:36 AM by amfortas2006 »

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 09:46:41 AM »
I am not sure how you use a Y cable with the Binder connector, I have only used separate left and right cables (though I see that the right channel is labelled Right/ST).

I don't use a CF card because it causes extra battery drain.  The hard drive is always running, I was told, so you can't save power using a CF card, in fact it causes a bit extra power use.  Transfer via USB 2.0 from the hard drive of the MiniR82 is very fast.

I asked Sonosax about active cables, the answer is no.  Only the SX-M2 preamp lemo version has the electronics built in, you would have to run the actives to the Binder connector on that (which is 5-pin not 8-pin like the MiniR82's), and then go line-in to the MiniR82.

I don't know any "real" mics smaller than the Schoeps CMCs or similar DPA series.  I use DPA 4060s with an MMA6000 preamp line-in, I also got Sanken mics wired with Binder connectors from Sonosax, but I don't really like the sound of those against the DPA 4060s.  The Sankens take phantom power, you can wire the Binders to deliver no power (using battery box with mics), 48V phantom, or 3.3V, which is not enough for the DPA 4060s (they offer 4063s wired for the MiniR82, but those are not quite as good as the 4060s).

Jeff

Offline amfortas2006

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 05:08:32 PM »
Hi Jeff!

Here are two photos of the cables (8pin to XLR5 and XLR5 to 2 XLR 3, or Y). These were made by the official Sonosax distributor in Switzerland.

You are right, it goes trough the right chanel (ST). I heard that then the left chanel has to be closed, so I got an 8pin connector just to close the chanel...

The thing works (stereo on right channel). Im just not sure if I should the put the mixing level at ATT 1.5 in the routing menu). Dunno much about that, and there"s nothing about it in the manual...

Well, I bought the CF card just because the damn gap is closed then (I will never understand how can they sell the unit with that hole in the middle).

Did you try the internal preamps, how did you like them in comparision with your MMA6000?

;D
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 05:36:01 PM by amfortas2006 »

Offline amfortas2006

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 05:20:21 PM »
And here are two more photos of the the cables plugged and all...  8)

Oh, could You send me the link of the web-page where you bought the small power-bar You are using?
I tried to google it, but something strange came out...

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 01:31:43 AM by amfortas2006 »

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 08:32:34 AM »
This is the one I am using:

http://store.l-f-l.com/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi?rrc=N&pg=prod&ref=UP220&op=UP220&bd=PowerBank&sd=&md=Universal&CMP=BAC-MSNS-M

I use it on the 6V setting (it also has a 5V that gives USB power to devices like the MT II, and 8.4V).  It weighs a litlle over 4.6 oz and is 3 1/2" by 2 1/4", less than 1" thick.  There are other solutions that run the MiniR82 longer than the 4-5 hours this does, but I don't need more and this is the smallest one that does what I do need.  The plug set it comes with are all right-angle, a rubber band around the devices keeps them pretty securely attached and I have had no problems.

Jeff

Offline amfortas2006

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 03:57:49 PM »
So, you plug the battery directly, not with this adapteur?

5V... I tought you were using something stronger; but it makes sense, you get what you need (5-6 hours, not a whole day).

Good to know it also works like that!   :realhappy:
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 04:16:00 PM by amfortas2006 »

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 04:49:51 PM »
So, you plug the battery directly, not with this adapteur?

5V... I tought you were using something stronger; but it makes sense, you get what you need (5-6 hours, not a whole day).

Good to know it also works like that!   :realhappy:

I don't think they had this available when I got my machine in late 2006, therefore I read the manual statement that you could feed it DC 5-9V from a "suitable" source and stupidly decided that 6V from the PowerBank would do.  I haven't had any problems (but I used it little before last month, then about half a dozen times over the last three weeks).  I'll let you know if it destroys the machine! >:D

Jeff

Offline amfortas2006

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 05:34:09 PM »
HEHEHE!  :bigsmile:

I"d use 5V and 3A if I were u! Better safe then sorry.  :angel:

You still didnt say how do you like the internal preamps in comparision with your MMA6000?

« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 06:03:00 PM by amfortas2006 »

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 01:08:12 AM »
It's hard to say, since I've never done a head-to-head test, and can't go mic-in with the DPAs.  When I ran various mics like an AKG 426 (stereo) or a pair of Josephson C617s direct into either the MiniR82 or a Sound Devices 722 I didn't notice any big difference but I never had a chance to run them head-to-head so it's only an impression.

I had a "disaster" today with the Sonosax, it looks like the line-in jack has developed a looseness that destroyed the conection (it was perfect Monday for a six hour run), and it's a bitch to get it serviced.

Jeff

Offline amfortas2006

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 02:37:40 AM »
Good thing you have a backup... I wouldnt worry about the service, I heard it is mostly fast.

Is it the first time you have to have it serviced since you bought it?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 07:35:47 AM by amfortas2006 »

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 09:42:28 AM »
Good thing you have a backup... I wouldnt worry about the service, I heard it is mostly fast.

Is it the first time you have to have it serviced since you bought it?

The first year no problems.  Then I began to have some weird screen glitches.  When I dropped (with maximum clumsiness) and dented the machine, even though it was still working, I decided to have it repaired.  They undented it and replaced the screen on warrenty.  The second machine had software issues and was reversing stereo channels in the middle of tapes, they scrubbed the chip programming and fixed that (I think).

The service was fast but the shipping is expensive.

Jeff

Offline amfortas2006

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 11:01:49 AM »
Thats exactly what i was thinking when I said what i mind about the minir: for that money a portable device should be sturdier and scratchproof, and more resistant to shock.

When I just take a look at the Cantar: you can put it in a bathtub (underwater) and record. And Sonosax is supposed to be playing in that league, their customer-profile is almost the same...

Now that I heard this from you, Im definetley buying a well polstered pouch, maybe even something extra that covers the unit itself...

Thanks for all the good info  :coolguy:
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 09:48:43 AM by amfortas2006 »

Offline Audiosailer

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2008, 10:24:42 PM »
The ATT-1.5 on the mini R menu is used if you mixdown multi tracks to 2 track stereo;depending on the number of tracks you are mixing down to your CF card
the user manual suggests different attenuation:this is to prevent overloading .Note
that this mix down is done live as you are recording.

Jeff, are you sending your Sonosax miniR82 unit directly to the company for servicing?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 10:35:43 PM by Audiosailer »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com