Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: equipment to record live shows  (Read 4431 times)

Offline vansmack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
equipment to record live shows
« on: November 20, 2003, 10:42:24 PM »
Sorry guys but I'm a total newbie with taping. I got to at least 10 concerts a year and would like to start taping them. What equipment would i need for a good sounding show? I'm hoping to spend 400.00 or less.  Any help would be gratly appreciated.  --Bill

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re:equipment to record live shows
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2003, 01:23:54 AM »
Sorry guys but I'm a total newbie with taping. I got to at least 10 concerts a year and would like to start taping them. What equipment would i need for a good sounding show? I'm hoping to spend 400.00 or less.  Any help would be gratly appreciated.  --Bill

This is the best setup I could think of (off the top of my head) for AROUND $400.

1. Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 (20GB). You can get a refurbished unit on eBay for about $200 shipped. Better add the 2nd battery if you plan on taping longer shows($40).
2. Core Sound Binaural mics (the regular version, NOT the cheapies). These are about $230 from www.core-sound.com

MIKE B
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2003, 03:11:52 AM »
plus a sound card with firewire

Offline sexymexi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2003, 03:24:34 AM »
there you go, good priced, rig.. you could do pretty damn well with that..  but your gonna wanna buy more..  ask anyone here, its addictive..  good luck, and +T..
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2003, 04:34:01 AM »
I daresay that a cheap MD and home deck would sound better than the JB3 with just CSBs.

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2003, 04:46:53 AM »
dare you say? i darest say you dared to say, oh dear

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2003, 04:54:48 AM »
I daresay that a cheap MD and home deck would sound better than the JB3 with just CSBs.

i dont understand why you say that.. the a/d in a md deck is not any more superior than that of the jb3

so why would it be "better"? i would go as to say that the jb3 would be far better s in terms of ease of use/ transfers/ compression

and the jb3 being so much better than md in every way, i know ive ran both extensively

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2003, 05:41:13 AM »

i dont understand why you say that.. the a/d in a md deck is not any more superior than that of the jb3

I think it is. I absolutely cannot stand the sound of the JB3 in any stealthies > JB3 show I have...

Offline chuckcage

• Taperssection Regular
  • Learning fast...
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2003, 10:47:23 AM »

so why would it be "better"? i would go as to say that the jb3 would be far better s in terms of ease of use/ transfers/ compression

and the jb3 being so much better than md in every way, i know ive ran both extensively

The A/D may be the same, but the "preamp" in the NJB3 really blows.  And I speak from experience as a guy who switched from MD to the NJB3 and carries both to each show.

I'd be the last one to bash the NJB3 -- I love mine.  But I won't even use mine for any kind of analog patch because I just don't like how it sounds.

For what it's worth, I'm extremely happy with my starter rig of C1000s > AD-20 > NJB3.  It's essentially what they're advising above, but with a decent outboard pre and A/D.  You're still talking about a sub-$1000 system even with accessories and it sounds great.

Chuck
---
Currently:
C1000s/MK012 > PB224 > AD-20 > NJB3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com