Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microphone Recommendations and General tips for a new taper  (Read 2208 times)

Offline staddydaddy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Microphone Recommendations and General tips for a new taper
« on: April 12, 2005, 08:30:22 AM »
On April 30th and May 1st, I'll be attending Coachella Music Festival (for those of you who are unfamiliar with the event it's an very large event with 70+ bands playing with several big names www.coachella.com )  Since I started planning the trip (I have organized a college trip where 15 people are going with me), I've had the intent to record specifically The Chemical Brothers.  I've been involved in more of the distrobution side of taping (through bittorrent sites).  I've been trying to work information out of the people who are posting the tapes but rarely are they ever the accuall taper themselves.

I reciently purchased a Marantz PMD 660, as my recording device.  (I like the fact that it records to a cf card in WAV format [aka no possible introduction or possible change in the audio when transfering it like with a MD or DAT] and the fact that the 660 has xlr inputs and phantom power, and the fact that my record time is mainly limited by CF card, I'll be using a 2 gig Microdrive).  The next objective that I'm going to have to complete (back me up if I'm out of order) is that I'm going to have to look into purchasing a microphone.  I've spent around a good bit of 5 hours researching this with the help of TS and some other sources. 

The Coachella site states that you're not allowed to bring in audio recoring equipment, So I'm preparing this as if I'm going to have to stealth the taping.  I'm not sure if it is faux paux to talk about how you sneak equipment into venues on TS so untill someone gives me the go ahead, I won't discuss that openly (Though I BADLY need to talk about it).  What do you guys recommend is the best way to stealth it?  I've seen several TS members who have placed the mic's in their hats.  When I thought about this, wouldn't the mic's rubbing against the mic fabric / mesh crap up the recording?  Does this not happen?  I'll be able to bring in a backpack to the festival and from what I've heard (from two close friends who have attended before) is that security is more interested in searching for drugs.  I've been trying to get in contact with a taper who recorded Coachella in 2004 about his techniques, but haven't had much luck.

The mics that you guys do stealth in your hats, they seem awefully small to me and that leads me to believe that their quality is not that great.  Ofcourse this is a trade off, but how good is the quality?  What kind of microphone would you sugjest? I know there are several types, but which would be the best for taping?

Something else that I really couldn't find on the forums is taping _technique_  I found it extremely informative about all areas of taping besides that.  How do you guys normally, when stealthing, set your recording levels?  Do you just set it and then hope it doesnt clip?  Also what are some techique recommendations in terms of positioning yourself to the speakers?

There was a small street festival that our college put on and I ran back to my room and grabed my pmd 660 and borrowed a friends fender mic (recording is in mono).  I was just practicing recording the speakers and stuff.  I have about a minute clip of two different parts of my practice run, uploaded in flac 6.  Do you guys hear anything wrong with it?  Any critical takes on it?  It was basically me holding my pmd 660 and the mic in my two hands at ~ 5 feet up.  The speakers  were about the same height.  Sometimes I had a crowd infront of me and not.  Here's the flac file: http://home.comcast.net/~staddydaddy/PMD660test.flac

The whole taper community and recording live performances is really interesting to me.  I've got a pretty good background in audio, and electrical, computer topics incase you were wonder on how to articulate your response.

Thanks in Advance!

Offline pepper

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Microphone Recommendations and General tips for a new taper
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 11:21:24 AM »
I know most people will critisize this recording,but its clear,not distorted,and its good enough to listen to.Maybe with a bit of work it could sound a bit better but its ok. :)

Offline jaguaracer

• Taperssection Regular
    • Trading List
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 11:43:24 AM »
there is a good post here: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=35004.0 detailing a whole lot of the popular mics.
Most notable are the AT853 series for under $300 and the DPA 406x for under $1000
Another stealthing method involves putting the mics underneath your collar. That's what I use. That set up forces you to use a DIN setup -> http://www.recordinglair.com/record/location/micplace.htm
Here is a good starter post on steathling: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=4313.0 and here: http://www.taperssection.com/index.php?board=14;action=display;threadid=15920
As for levels and mic positioning, I would definitely go to one of the smaller acts first, test out some levels and such and see what works best for you. Just make sure you are in the same location for the real thing.
Instrument mics and condenser mics are completely different things. Your recording will sound much better when you use proper mics. On the topic of mics, be aware there are two popular types -> uni- and omni-directional mics.  Cardiod pick up more of what is in front of the mics will omni pick up pretty much 360o.
I know you had a lot more of questions, but this is a start I guess.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 11:51:59 AM by jaguaracer »
DC

Offline staddydaddy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 04:04:50 AM »
any other recommendations

Offline sullen

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005, 08:22:04 AM »
Jaguar got most things.

Coachella security was rather lax last year, once you get through the gate,
you'll be fine. I did not tape, but there are about 8 Cure tapes and 2 videos,
and who knows how many other tapes of the other bands, so this gives you
an idea.

My biggest advice for stealthing through the gate is not to worry too much, it
seems so much worse than it is! Especially the first time. Crotch it and be done.
Also belts belts belts. Wear multiple belts, with metal. Both for metal detectors
and for a distraction for what you have with you. I wear 3:
Average leather belt through the belt loops, bring the mics in under this.
Studded belt + O-ring belt w/ small chains, both draped over the dat for distraction.
The more crap you wear, the harder it is for them to feel a recorder in a patdown.

As for wearing mics:
With hats, people usually cut 2 small holes into a hat. Slip the mic elements through
the hole, secure them on the inside, thus not touching fabric.
Bandannas/headbands work well too, this is what i use, clip to sides, drape hair over.
"stealth" mics are so small that nobody will notice them anyways, designed for this.

Choice of Mics:
I would say go for a Cardioid in a large open outdoor venue, though omnis will work
fine as well. All depends on what youre looking to spend. Jaguar made 2 excellent
recomendations. The at8xx series is your best bet if you dont have 1k$ for dpas, and
youre already set up for phantom power.

One thing you might want to consider is emailing oade and asking which microphones work
well with the 660. Especially if youre considering the dpa 406x.

I was looking into this device before i got my dat. Emailed Oade to ask them about the 660
and their preamp mod. They flat out toldme that it was not the recorder to use for good
recordings with 4061's. What they meant by this i do not know, they were turning away
a sale and made it a point to ask what type of mics i would be using, i am assuming this
recorder may not be compatible with all microhpones? Maybe someone can chime in on this,
im actualy curious to why this is......

Jag's advice: Do some opening bands. = great advice.
Make sure you dont have your levels too high as well.
Get a feel for the recorder before you go out, know where you;ll be carrying it, know how
you'll be adjusting levels/monitoring taping, and blah blah blah blah blah, go 110% ready
so that you're not worrying about other stuff. It is the little things we forget. Be prepared
to tape effortlessly, still enjoy the show, and come out with a with a good tape, dont want
to figure out small details during the openers.

Don't be afraid to ask more specific questions about stealth taping or PM me.
I'm sure the more experienced tapers will chime in too.

PS:
Please tape Bauhuas and trade with me!! I can't make it this year =/
don't > care > to > list > gear > in > signature

Offline staddydaddy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 06:24:20 AM »
Sullen,

Thanks for the lengthy and informative reply.  Are you saying that hey were openly taping the cure at coachella 2004?

As for stealthing my gear, I don't think you can really crotch a pmd 600 (they're rather large)

Additionally what do you guys think about this stealth technique,

What if I sewed in a fake bottom to my backpack and hid all my gear under there? I could put some padding around it to make it feel like a plausible bottom.

I'll try and tape Bauhuas if I can make it (I.E. not conflicting with any other performance that's going on that I want to be at).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com