Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps MK41 for small clubs and loud metal music?  (Read 10959 times)

Offline TheMetalist

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
Schoeps MK41 for small clubs and loud metal music?
« on: May 03, 2018, 12:17:20 PM »
At the moment I'm an AKG guy. I mainly record club shows (300-1,500 capacity) but also bigger outdoor shows (10,000-35,000 capacity). I love my CK63 in both these situations. They have a lot of presence and a right in your face kind of sound. I'm only doing stealth jobs and my gear is AKG CK61/63 > Nbob actives > Nbox Platinum ABS > Sony PCM-M10. Music I mostly tape are loud rock and metal shows.

I consider to join the Schoeps club but I'm not sure it's the correct microphones for what I do. As the AKG CK63 (Hypers) are my most used capsules I believe Schoeps MK41 (Supers) would be what I'm looking for? I'm not very found of the CK61 (Cardioids) and I guess MK4 (Cardioids) are comparable to those?

Would you recommend MK41 for what I do? I have listened to some samples on Dime but couldn't find any that made me sing Hallelujah of great joy. I know Shoeps are delicious, just can't decide if they are for me or not. Would really like some of your opinions here. Thanks!
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Schoeps MK41 for small clubs and loud metal music?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 12:23:40 PM »
I record a decent amount of metal as well, 99% of which is stealth (even for bands that give the okay to record, it just doesn't feel like the right environment for a mic stand).  FWIW, I don't feel like any of the mics I've used for metal shows are ideal.  I really want to try the AT853 subcards though.  The AT853 cards can give some good results, and some extra low end with the subcards would likely be great.  The point of this digression is just that I don't feel like I have the "silver bullet" mics for metal shows.

Since choice of mics is highly personal, I'm very curious why you want to move to Schoeps.  I know they are among the best quality microphones available, and a lot of people love them, but why do you think they'd be better than the CK63s for you?  At least for me, I have little to no interest in Schoeps because, for the music I typically record, I am just not a huge fan of their sound.  Again, that's just the subjective personal part though.  Objectively they are top quality mics.  So what is it that you feel is lacking in your CK63s, and what is it you feel Schoeps would bring to the table for you?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 12:28:39 PM »
I used AKG for many years and now I use Schoeps MK41. The Schoeps definitely have a darker, more subdued high end response compared to AKG (which have a hyped presence to the treble range). They are very forgiving in not so great sounding rooms.

Maybe consider MBHO hypercardioids? They are much less expensive than Schoeps and Nick makes active collettes for them now so you would be able to use them with your Nbox. New KA500 capsules plus active cables would be around $1000 US so the whole setup would be less than a used pair of MK41 capsules alone.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 12:39:13 PM »
I used AKG for many years and now I use Schoeps MK41. The Schoeps definitely have a darker, more subdued high end response compared to AKG (which have a hyped presence to the treble range). They are very forgiving in not so great sounding rooms.

Maybe consider MBHO hypercardioids? They are much less expensive than Schoeps and Nick makes active collettes for them now so you would be able to use them with your Nbox. New KA500 capsules plus active cables would be around $1000 US so the whole setup would be less than a used pair of MK41 capsules alone.

Ditto from a former mbho owner, Cards are very forgiving. Can't go wrong with 41s ever if you can swing the cost. Great up close great at a distance and also very forgiving in bad rooms.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline heathen

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 12:42:22 PM »
Speaking of MBHOs, you might want to check in with SxPxDxCx.  He records a LOT of metal and I believe MBHOs are his go-to mics.  For example: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=185468.0
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 12:48:05 PM »
So what is it that you feel is lacking in your CK63s, and what is it you feel Schoeps would bring to the table for you?

I really like my CK63 capsules but they are bit too crisp in the 4-8K frequencies. I also think they sound a bit more "compressed" over all than Schoeps recordings I have heard. Schoeps seems to be a bit warmer. I also like that Schoeps are available as a matched pair, which AKG is not.
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 12:49:09 PM »
I need to check out some MBHO samples. Thanks for the advice. :)

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 12:57:47 PM »
Can't go wrong with 41s ever if you can swing the cost. Great up close great at a distance and also very forgiving in bad rooms.
I have listened to a few rock and metal recordings made with MK41. They sound a bit distant and the midrange is very prominent. Not sure if it's because the venues/recording positions or if it is actually the capsules. Is this something you know are common for MK41? I know I get pretty much presence when using my CK63. Unfortunately it's not easy to find nice MK41 samples with metal music.

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 02:37:27 PM »
Sent a PM regarding something else O/T but thought I'd share here with everybody since I've owned CK61/CK63's with Naiant Actives _and_ MK41's with nBob actives.

I found the CK61's always a bit murky for my liking.  The CK63's had a crispness with what they captured in the best room but weren't forgiving.  The MK41's always seemed to cut through the crap the most and capture solid recordings.  If money is no object, these are worth looking at, because you'll never be let down by them; only let down by the room you're recording in.  I'm sure somebody here has some samples easily available of hard rock/metal shows and MK41s...

The MK41's are also lighter weight than the CK6x's as well. 
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 04:29:19 PM »
Sent a PM regarding something else O/T but thought I'd share here with everybody since I've owned CK61/CK63's with Naiant Actives _and_ MK41's with nBob actives.

I found the CK61's always a bit murky for my liking.  The CK63's had a crispness with what they captured in the best room but weren't forgiving.  The MK41's always seemed to cut through the crap the most and capture solid recordings.  If money is no object, these are worth looking at, because you'll never be let down by them; only let down by the room you're recording in.  I'm sure somebody here has some samples easily available of hard rock/metal shows and MK41s...

The MK41's are also lighter weight than the CK6x's as well.

I agree with you regarding CK61 and 63 but the 63's are more forgiving than the 61's.

I would love to hear some nice rock and metal recording done with MK41. I hope someone here can guide me to some nice samples.

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 04:30:21 PM »
I'd advise using the vertical versions of schoeps capsules, especially when  >:D is required.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2018, 04:31:04 PM »
I have listened to a few rock and metal recordings made with MK41. They sound a bit distant and the midrange is very prominent. Not sure if it's because the venues/recording positions or if it is actually the capsules. Is this something you know are common for MK41? I know I get pretty much presence when using my CK63. Unfortunately it's not easy to find nice MK41 samples with metal music.

Check out some HO recordings, Goldilocks.  There are generally considered by many to be somewhere in the middle in terms of timbre, a more crisp presence than the Schoeps but not as much as the AKG's.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2018, 05:11:25 PM »
I'd advise using the vertical versions of schoeps capsules, especially when  >:D is required.

Vertical?

Check out some HO recordings, Goldilocks.  There are generally considered by many to be somewhere in the middle in terms of timbre, a more crisp presence than the Schoeps but not as much as the AKG's.

Sorry, I'm lost here. Please tell me more.

Offline heathen

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2018, 05:13:26 PM »
Vertical meaning the MK41V.  Think of the capsule sitting on its side...

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2018, 05:58:18 PM »

Sorry, I'm lost here. Please tell me more.
HO = MBHO
"Goldilocks" - the bears porridge is too hot or too cold, or in between is just right. He's saying the MBHO are in between the AKG (too hot) and Schoeps (too cold), and may be "just right" for your taste buds.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 08:54:30 PM by jefflester »
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com