Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Which Shocks for DPA-4021?  (Read 4771 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Which Shocks for DPA-4021?
« on: April 30, 2008, 11:35:20 AM »
The CSM4000 are nice and I just might go with those, but at $120 each, they're a bit pricey.  I also love the price and functionality of the new Rycote InVision series

http://www.rycote.com/products/invision/index.php

However, this mount won't be holding the 4021s the same way as it holds the Schoeps in the picture.  The capsule is actually set backwards in the mount so that the clips are at the front and back of the mic capsule.  So, it doesn't look like there will be any room for a windscreen without cutting the bottom of the screen to force it over the clips.

So anybody got any other recommendations?

Thanks

Offline CQBert

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Sunset in Zilker Park
Re: Which Shocks for DPA-4021?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 12:12:57 PM »
Did you use the tabs at the top to find the appropriate shock for the 4021 - I think it is the INV-3.

You may want to contact Rycote and ask them a question to be sure.

I know there are some Rycote users on the board but the company may be a quick and simple source for a good answer.

I seriously considered these for my new Senns but had already placed an order for the Senn Shocks.

Good luck..

CQBert
Sennheiser MKH 8040 (Matched) > Sound Devices 702

Offline BC

• Needs to get out more...
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 12:48:24 PM »
I have the CSM4000, they are indeed pricey tho. I actually don't use them much as I typically run the ORTF/XY bar with a stud in a schoeps A20s.

Moke made me a kick-ass t-bar mount which will mount in an A20 also, there are pics in a recent thread somewhere...

Peace,
Ben

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 01:25:54 PM »
I use a vark bar, schoeps A20S shock mount and schoeps mini metal clips, sgcm's. works great and very low profile. mic pattern is kinda dina-ish. i needed to wrap the dpa lemos with one layer of rubber tape to get the clips to sit right. once the clips are on you can't even see the tape. you could prolly use the schoeps palstic clips instead of the metals. would still need to build up the lemo diameter though.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 01:51:49 PM »
you could prolly use the schoeps palstic clips instead of the metals. would still need to build up the lemo diameter though.

Steve's referring to the 21's which have no lemo and need to be clipped in the ridge in the capsule.   

The DPA mount is pricey though.  Only drawback of the 21's is that you can't use a Kwon style mounting solution like you can with the 23's.

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 02:36:27 PM »
you could prolly use the schoeps palstic clips instead of the metals. would still need to build up the lemo diameter though.

Steve's referring to the 21's which have no lemo and need to be clipped in the ridge in the capsule.   

The DPA mount is pricey though.  Only drawback of the 21's is that you can't use a Kwon style mounting solution like you can with the 23's.

sorry, i was refering to the 23's.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 03:32:26 PM »
Rycote say use the INV-3 for the 4021 - it's on the list.

Use the INV-1 for the 4023.

It's all on the Rycote website if you click the tabs on the link.

Offline rePat

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 04:08:20 PM »
The INV-3's are nice, but what would you use for windscreens?
DPA 4021 >SD MP-2>Sony PCM M10

Church Audio Cardoids>Edirol R-09

stevetoney

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 09:13:34 PM »
The INV-3's are nice, but what would you use for windscreens?

I mentioned this in the original thread.  Thanks for the recommendations to look at the links on the site, but after all I did post the link so I obviously knew that the INV-3 was the mount to use with the 4021.  For those that are recommending this though...look more closely.  What you see is that the design of this mount has two clips separated by 1 inch.  So that means the clips support the barrel of the mic body at the front and at the back.  How do you get a wind screen on that arrangement?  The only way I know is that you would have to cut the screen on the bottom and jam it over the top so that the clips can enter from the bottom.  I don't really like that option becaue the screens might not be very secure in place.  If they blow off during a show...well its just not a very good option. 

So, while I really like the design of the INV-3, these mounts just won't work for DPA mics, IMHO.

I'm prolly gonna buy the expensive DPA mounts.  They support the mics at a single point and there should be no problem with screen mounting.

stevetoney

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 09:17:41 PM »
True and I'd have preferred the rear mounted mics, but I got the 4021s for $2200 from Soundbroker.com, so it was an easy decision becaue of the GREAT price and also since they didn't have any 4022s or 4023s available.  My cost savings is what's giving me an idea that I'm just gonna spring for the DPA mounts.

Offline CQBert

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Sunset in Zilker Park
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 09:50:59 PM »
You could also check out the new Senn Shock Mount.. the mic are the same size - the DPA is a nicer mount IMO..

Comes down to $'s I guess...

You may want to consider the DPA ORTF/XY Combo Mount and an A20 as an option..

Enjoy the Mics  - they sound great!

CQBert
Sennheiser MKH 8040 (Matched) > Sound Devices 702

stevetoney

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 11:24:11 PM »
I forgot about that Moke custom cinch tie mount.  Those are nice and compact.  I recall from the original post that you said they're nice and snug too.  Hmmm...maybe time for another weekend project.

stevetoney

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 06:54:00 AM »
if you're halfway handy, they're easy enough to build. Its time consuming, but satisfying.
The modified mic clips are cheapie $5 windtech clips.
The stereo bars can be built from Home Depot 1"x.125" aluminum stock.
if you feel like getting handy, I'd be glad to naswer any questions that i can.

Only question is where do you get the cinch ties. 

I have enough elastic bungies downstairs that I could use, but they don't have the plastic holding cinch device.

If I recall, on the bottom side of the bar (can't see in the pics) one side of the elastic is knotted, and the other side has the plastic cinch doo-dad that secures the elastic around the mic body when you draw it through the other hole in the bar.

stevetoney

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 11:02:08 AM »
I got mine at a shop called Sports Chalet. They are a full service sports store that ranges thru the same products that you'll find at an REI store.
They are $1.50 for a blister-card two pack.

The exact name of the ones that I get:
Kenyon Posi-Grip Cordlock
prod. #61542
Kenyon Consumer Poducts - W. Kingston RI

Dear Moke...your response is a little vague...do you think that you could you be more specific.   ;D   :P

Hey just joking of course.  This is awesome.  I am definitely gonna do this because I am currently using the STH-100 mount with the Neumanns and the 'markbars' that tapermark made for them and this setup is just PERFECT. 

The setup that you post in your picture is really functionally identical to the setup I have with the STH-100. 

In practice, it's provides really firm control of the mics so there's no chance of them falling on the floor and being stepped on when you're not looking, but the overall mount is very bouncy and springy so that there's an incredible amount of sound isolation.

Thanks alot man.  This is precisely the type of response I was hoping to get when I posted.

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2008, 11:11:09 AM »
I was wondering why you were asking for these mounts.  I was like doesn't he have 140's?   ;D  Might be interested in the 50 caps if you sell.

True and I'd have preferred the rear mounted mics, but I got the 4021s for $2200 from Soundbroker.com, so it was an easy decision becaue of the GREAT price and also since they didn't have any 4022s or 4023s available.  My cost savings is what's giving me an idea that I'm just gonna spring for the DPA mounts.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com