Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Who runs MS and why ?  (Read 6345 times)

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ***Team Schoeps***
Re:Who runs MS and why ?
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2004, 12:50:45 PM »
yeah, but my raleigh '03 (m/s) from the section are a great example of 'what not to do...'  as the wind really picked up that weekend.

wasn't there even a small tornado touchdown?  anyways, from as far as I was, there was no way to avoid the phasing issue.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2004, 12:54:24 PM »
Sorry I was just going by what I've heard on tapes. You can get some phasing, but deffinitely not like you would with cards/hypers. I would like to try the omni center channel on stage. I'll have to see if I can figure out how to get those 5 channels in post sometime.

look at the polar patterns of Fig8 and Omni.... I think you would just end up with a big mushy mess. Using a directional mic is the key.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2005, 12:54:56 AM »
Sorry I was just going by what I've heard on tapes. You can get some phasing, but deffinitely not like you would with cards/hypers. I would like to try the omni center channel on stage. I'll have to see if I can figure out how to get those 5 channels in post sometime.

look at the polar patterns of Fig8 and Omni.... I think you would just end up with a big mushy mess. Using a directional mic is the key.

Mushy Mess - no.  What you end up with is along the lines of a pair of coincidently located Cardiods at 180 degrees (ie: one pointed left, one pointed right).  Perhaps not that useful for most of what we do, but not a mushy mess at all.

(Sorry for replying to a VERY old thread... just doing some searching and stumbled across this one...)

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline dr.ph0b

• Local Crew
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • powpow!
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2005, 12:49:45 PM »

Mushy Mess - no.  What you end up with is along the lines of a pair of coincidently located Cardiods at 180 degrees (ie: one pointed left, one pointed right).  Perhaps not that useful for most of what we do, but not a mushy mess at all.

(Sorry for replying to a VERY old thread... just doing some searching and stumbled across this one...)

- Jason

haha, likewise, ive been very out of touch lately.  i got an email noticification for another thread reply, and anything that says M/S will catch my eye :)  While I agree with you, that 'mushy mess' is not likely, I do prefer a cardiod for the mid mic. i think its just gives it that full, clean solid baseline, that you can then "color" with the figure8. especially in fob situations, where the cardiod is gonna grab everything coming off the stage.  i dont think its possible for a tape made any other way to stack up to a good M/S.  (especially when you can 'dial it in' to perfection _after_ the fact!)  :) 
sold :(  MK4v->KCY->Sonosax SX-M2/LS2->modSBM1->M1
m-s: mk8/mk4v

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
Re: Who runs MS and why ?
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2005, 01:02:45 PM »
What do you recommend for doing the M-S > Stereo?  I've seen a VST plugin that was free but looked pretty crappy when I tried it.  Something that shows width as a ratio would be nice and logical I would think.  I can do it 'live' with the 722, but that defeats a lot of the advantage of running M-S to begin with.

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2005, 02:00:43 PM »
Craig T recommended the Waves S1 Imager to me when I asked him. He uses that config more than anyone I know.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline kidtexas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2005, 04:28:06 PM »
What do you recommend for doing the M-S > Stereo?  I've seen a VST plugin that was free but looked pretty crappy when I tried it.  Something that shows width as a ratio would be nice and logical I would think.  I can do it 'live' with the 722, but that defeats a lot of the advantage of running M-S to begin with.

You can always take LR back through an MS matrix and get MS.  Run it through the MS matrix again to get back to LR.  This is used in mixing/mastering as a way to adjust stereo mix.

Basically you could do it live in your 722, and if at a later point you were unhappy with it, you could re-MS it in post, fix, then convert it back to LR.

Obviously, if have the time to record it in MS and do it in post later, that is the best way to go.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.16 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com