Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: diy sonic studios battery box?  (Read 3513 times)

Offline firmdragon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
diy sonic studios battery box?
« on: February 05, 2010, 05:21:12 PM »
anyone ever try to make their own battery box for sonic studios mics? (dsm-6/L in particular)  (guy, feel free to hook a brotha up if you'd like)

i have a specific enclosure i'd like to use for powering the mic so i guess what i'm looking for is a schematic.  not necessarily looking for the same one you can buy from ss, just something that would work well w/ the mics. 

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Whats next?
Re: diy sonic studios battery box?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 07:51:34 PM »
anyone ever try to make their own battery box for sonic studios mics? (dsm-6/L in particular)  (guy, feel free to hook a brotha up if you'd like)

i have a specific enclosure i'd like to use for powering the mic so i guess what i'm looking for is a schematic.  not necessarily looking for the same one you can buy from ss, just something that would work well w/ the mics.

don't count on getting that info from guy, all you need is a grand for that bb :)

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 08:08:44 PM »

Can you post pictures of the mics?  Do they just end in a miniplug?  What is your recorder?

If so, the first thing I would try is plug in power.  That will almost always work for most situations.  Take them to some loud shows and see if they distort.

Re: lack of information.  This is my pet peeve with some of the micbuilders here.  Geez.  If I wanted to copy your designs I could just buy a set and disassemble them.  In these days of intertubes it is very easy to find this information if you really want it.  Besides, I don't think there is anything special about those capsules.  They are good, but no better than some of the top end stuff I've been using, such as Sennheiser KE4, Countryman B3, etc.
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 02:02:36 AM »

Can you post pictures of the mics?  Do they just end in a miniplug?  What is your recorder?

If so, the first thing I would try is plug in power.  That will almost always work for most situations.  Take them to some loud shows and see if they distort.

Re: lack of information.  This is my pet peeve with some of the micbuilders here.  Geez.  If I wanted to copy your designs I could just buy a set and disassemble them.  In these days of intertubes it is very easy to find this information if you really want it.  Besides, I don't think there is anything special about those capsules.  They are good, but no better than some of the top end stuff I've been using, such as Sennheiser KE4, Countryman B3, etc.

well, from his site, it's something like:
DSM Microphones utilize a unique & proprietary modification formula of selected OEM available back-electret omni condenser pickup elements.

but essentially, you power them w/ a AA battery.  mini-plugs all the way.

plug in power does work.  but i think i remember it distorting before when i tried to go w/o the battery box.

yeah i wasn't really expecting guy to pony up his top secret info.  i do realize he runs a business.  but enough of that.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 02:09:23 PM »
Although Sonic Studios mics will work with most recorders' plug in power, they normally won't be powered optimally and you're going to run into at least random, if not frequent, distortion.

An exception is the new Sony M10 (as well as the older D50), which guy says operate his mics perfectly from plug in power. Might be easier just to get an M10.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 10:34:05 PM »
Most simple circuit:

1.5 volt alkaline, two 2.43K 1% current limiting resistors, two ~2.2 to 5 MFD 25-35 volt capacitors with - negative terminal the output of the channel. 

Connect the + of battery to both resistors, and other end of each resistor is left/right channels connected to + of MIC, mentioned end of resistor, and + of capacitor.   

Everything else not mentioned is common ground connected for both input, - battery, and output. 
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 12:29:49 AM »
well that helps a lot.

thanks Guy.

Offline kleiner Rainer

• Taperssection Regular
Battery box schematic from Sony
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 03:25:52 PM »
Hi all,

here: www.coutant.org

is a very informative homepage about mics, complete with documentation. When browsing through the service manuals, I found the manual for my Sony ECM-T140 lavalier mic. Included is a battery box schematic that can be easily replicated (it even has a battery check!)

Here the service manual:

http://www.coutant.org/sonyscan/ecm-t140.pdf

This is a mono battery box, but the modification for stereo should be obvious...

Greetings,

Rainer
recording steam trains since 1985

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com