Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Is there a list explaining each and every mod for the UA-5?  (Read 2493 times)

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
Is there a list explaining each and every mod for the UA-5?
« on: December 14, 2005, 02:38:22 PM »
What is the best mod and or grouping of mods to get on this unit?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
Re: Is there a list explaining each and every mod for the UA-5?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 02:47:21 PM »
Edirol UA5 FAQ:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=14389.0

The digi-mod is required to run the UA5 standalone (i.e. without a PC).  The W/P/T mods are strictly personal preference.  The PLUS mod improves the W/P/T further (largely by reducing self-noise), but retains the general sonic characteristics of each mod.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline philR

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 02:47:42 PM »
gonna have to be more specific than that mark.

the dick
Neumann AK40 > LC3KA > KM100 > V2 > 744t

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 02:54:29 PM »
Well I have the W mod w/ the digital done.

I guess I want to know what Presence and transparent are. That link doesn't really do it and Oades site I can't find a thing....

The + explanation helped though.

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 02:56:14 PM »
Oh ya and I would assume that the more expensive of the W/P/T mods is the best one to have with the plus added?  Or are all 3 the same price?

Offline philR

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 02:57:31 PM »
transparent is just that, no real coloration, sort of in line with a V3.  the Presence mod really puts everything up in the mix.  check out my 12/30/04 yonder tape on the archive that i did with AKG 481 > Presence mod UA-5.
Neumann AK40 > LC3KA > KM100 > V2 > 744t

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 03:19:14 PM »
That link doesn't really do it and Oades site I can't find a thing....

Yeah, the FAQ doesn't really get into much detail, and for ages I've meant to update it with more info on the W/P/T/+ mods.  So, now it's updated:

Why does the UA-5 require a modification for standalone operation while taping (if I'm not running the UA-5 over USB into a laptop)?

The UA-5 in stock form outputs a digital signal to the USB port.  The coax S/PDIF and optical outputs in stock form are only active with a PC hooked up to the UA5.  Why?  The digital signal output path in stock form is:  UA5 USB-out > laptop > USB-in > coax/optical.  What does this mean?  With a stock UA-5, you can only record digitally to DAT/MD/JB3 if you have a computer hooked up to the UA5.  Not good for field recording!  The digi-mod offered by the Oade Bros modifies the UA-5 so the coax/optical/USB outputs are all active simultaneously, without a laptop in the chain.  This allows tapers to run UA-5 > coax/optical out > recording device (e.g. DAT/JB3) without needing to hook up a PC.  Note: the Oade Bros will only modify UA-5s purchased directly from them.  After the Oade Bros mod(s), the unit maintains its warranty.  David Klein put up a webpage with DIY digi-mod instructions, and there are two others (possibly from the same author?): one, two.  Note: self-modded units break the UA-5s warranty and may not be sent to the Oade Bros for preamp upgrades (see next question).

What are the Oade warm / presence / transparent / PLUS mods all about?

The Oade Bros also offer three preamp upgrades: "warm", "presence", and "transparent", often referred to by simply w-, p-, or t-mod..  All three mods are available on UA-5s purchased directly from the Oade Bros, but NOT on units purchased elsewhere.  These mods significantly improve the quality of the UA-5s preamp (however, even the stock preamp sounds pretty good).  They also now offer a w/p/t-PLUS mod which includes further improvements.  Check out their website for more details.  From the Oade Bros website (info no longer available on their site):

The first version or Warm MOD © gives the UA5 a warmer sound, with better depth and high frequency character. A second "flavor" is available as a Presence MOD,© chosen by ear for a maximum clarity and detail. This mod gives the UA5 a more "up front" sound, with better presence and high frequency detail. Both MODs disable the 1/4" inputs on the front panel, leaving the front panel XLR's and rear panel RCA inputs intact.

I couldn't find any specific language discussing the Transparent MOD, but here's a quote from Doug on his messageboard:

The transparent mod gives sonic transparency, quick transient response, low noise floor and absolute minimal coloration. (this first part quoted from Bob W's post, by Doug...Doug's response follows...)

Yes, it is the most accurate MOD I could do to the unit...It not only has less noise than the stock unit (as does the Warm, MOD) but also has less distortion and is much faster with amazing transient response.

And a blurb on the PLUS mod:

The plus in the plus MOD is additional work to the power supply and analog stages that decrease noise and enhance low level detail. Any MOD UA5, T, P or W, can be improved with the plus MOD.
Roland R-05

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 07:53:44 PM »
check out team ua5 i think they have some info there
i know they have bm2 info there
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline NJFunk

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 07:42:04 AM »
Edirol UA5 FAQ:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=14389.0

The digi-mod is required to run the UA5 standalone (i.e. without a PC).  The W/P/T mods are strictly personal preference.  The PLUS mod improves the W/P/T further (largely by reducing self-noise), but retains the general sonic characteristics of each mod.

There's also a whole list of Busman2 mods that suppsoedly sound similar to the Oade Transparent or T+ mods for those that don't have Oade units.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2005, 10:42:20 AM »
There's also a whole list of Busman2 mods that suppsoedly sound similar to the Oade Transparent or T+ mods for those that don't have Oade units.

Forgot about the Busman2 mods!  Gotta dig into Team UA5 to find out some of the details for posting in the FAQ.  Thanks for the reminder, NJFunk...
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.144 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com