Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Lineage advice?  (Read 2273 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Lineage advice?
« on: May 06, 2018, 11:58:21 AM »
So my buddy has masters of the final GD tour. Problem is neither one of us has a working cassette deck. Back around 2003/2004 i transferred some of these masters to DAT. Back then the transfer method was NAK CR5A>Sony PCM2600. My 2600 is in excellent operating condition. Im thinking of transferring these DATS using my Mix Pre 6. Unfortunately i have to go analog out on the PCM 2600. No digital in on the Mix Pre. So my question is how do I list the lineage and I guess I should also ask if this transfer method is acceptable?

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Lineage advice?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 12:34:02 PM »
First off, are they worth transferring? Were they made with quality gear? I don't care a whole lot about '95 so I haven't really checked in detail what's there, but I'm sure there are a several sources for each show on LMA that come from DAT masters and quality mics, have you compared? If it's worthwhile to transfer these, then lineage would be: mics > cass  deck > cassette master, cassette master > PCM2600 > DAT > playback on PCM2600 > analog out > Sound Devices Mix Pre > whatever is next (editing/mastering software, tracking, TLH, etc).

DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline JackoRoses

• Trade Count: (0)
  • lost cause
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 01:46:19 PM »
To add or not to add is the real question, do you really want to add another analog gen to the source when it's very possible to go straight to digital.
I know you don't have the gear to do it, but I'm sure someone would/could lend a recorder with a digital in or would be willing to do it themselves.
Maybe they have one laying around they aren't using.
I agree with Jefflester as well, check and see if there are better sources/comparable sources available as well.
Not that there isn't anything wrong with adding another source option but is it worth the effort?
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 03:20:32 PM »
To add or not to add is the real question, do you really want to add another analog gen to the source when it's very possible to go straight to digital.
I know you don't have the gear to do it, but I'm sure someone would/could lend a recorder with a digital in or would be willing to do it themselves.
Maybe they have one laying around they aren't using.
I agree with Jefflester as well, check and see if there are better sources/comparable sources available as well.
Not that there isn't anything wrong with adding another source option but is it worth the effort?

That’s what I was thinking. It’s now a 1st Gen, right? Shit I have DAT masters I’ve yet to transfer. So 2600>MP6 is not a preferred method? Maybe I should have held onto my 702 until all DATs were transferred.

As far as my buddies cassette masters, I think we need to find a good working cassette deck to do a proper transfer. Most of his recordings are 93 to 03. All with pretty much the same gear.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 03:42:49 PM by ts »

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Qualified
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 07:13:11 PM »
Nick is going to contact you TS. He can do the cassettes and I can help with your dats.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com