Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Another Sector Boundary ? - Soundforge 6.0  (Read 2398 times)

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Another Sector Boundary ? - Soundforge 6.0
« on: October 11, 2005, 02:04:48 PM »
i've been using SF 6.0 to track my shows. i load the master wav file then insert a marker at the beginning and at each spot in bewteen songs and then one at the end of the file. i then convert markers to regions and then export the regions, whcih saves each track as its own wav file.

1st question - does this create SBE's? - i've just started reading up on them and am now concerned that my shows may have them all over the place. can I use shntool to check the .wav files for SBEs or must it be a SHN/FLAC file?

2nd question - is there a better way to track using SF? i know that CDwave is supposed to be idiot proof, but I like the additional features of SF in case I need to do any editing?

3rd - aside from using shntool to check for SBEs how would one know if they existed - do you hear something like a click or a pop in bewteen tracks?

4th - is there a way to create a cue sheet in SF - this would essentially remember where each marker is without having to save over the original file correct?

sorry if these are stupid questions, but I've been reading about SBEs all morning and am now really concerned i haven't been tracking my shows properly.

Thanks for any help.
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
Re: Another Sector Boundary ? - Soundforge 6.0
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 02:10:06 PM »
1- i don't know if SF attempts to cut on sector boundaries, but likely it does create sbe's.  there may be a way to tell SF to cut on sector boundaries (in WL, it involves using cd track markers instead of generic markers).
yes, shntool will work fine on the wav files.
2-don't know, i don't use sf, but you can do what i do with wavelab and do all your editing, sav the full set wav and then use cdwav.  this gives you the additional flexibility to export directly to flac from cdwav, and save that conversion step.
3-you can usually hear a pop at the track breaks.  running shntool is super simple though.
4-don't know.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 07:05:47 PM »
SF6.0 does not ensure track splits on sector bounds....

If you want to keep using it, the best way I've found to do tracking in SF6.0 is using the region menu... Designate all of the regions, and then under "tools" - hit "extract regions".

I don't think you can make a "cue" sheet, per se, but you can save your regions list as a text file (and maybe as a cue file as well... not sure tho).  After you do that, you might be able to use that on an uncut wav to recreate your splits.

I hear what you're saying about CDWav though - I use it for tracking, but I still use SF6.0 for editing... it sucks, as its inefficient, but gotta do whatcha gotta do, I guess.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 10:28:52 PM »
to answer your ?'s

1. Prolly

2. SF is fine to track with. It(for some weird reason) just chaps my ass to see folks List SF>Cdwave in the source . If your living in the 20th century, We have this Audio compression tool now called Flac. It will eliminate SBE's, append seek tables and compress the tracks all at once.

3.  99% of the time ya should

4. yup . put your markers where ya want and then click the special tab>select regions>save as>SFL file
AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 09:00:22 AM »

2. SF is fine to track with. It(for some weird reason) just chaps my ass to see folks List SF>Cdwave in the source . If your living in the 20th century, We have this Audio compression tool now called Flac. It will eliminate SBE's, append seek tables and compress the tracks all at once.

I lost a great number of master files because they are stored in flacs that I can no longer decode.  I prefer to store my files as WAV.  because of this.  That's why I use SF > CDwav.  Sorry this "chaps your ass" - I'll send you some butt paste.
 :)

« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 09:47:46 AM by Whipper-Snapper »
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 06:43:49 PM »
I would also use flac frontend to make my SBE's all better ;D

Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline momule

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 07:31:11 AM »

I lost a great number of master files because they are stored in flacs that I can no longer decode.  I prefer to store my files as WAV.  because of this.  That's why I use SF > CDwav.  Sorry this "chaps your ass" - I'll send you some butt paste.

I am assuming you were using a High compression rate , And or Cheap media

I have over 1500 disc's (95% mule ;) ) in Flac format and have yet to have a disc that would not encode after storage.

I archive my masters on multiple media in multiple formats  , One DVD containing a tracked and mastered copy and also a untouched master copy. (all in flac format) And then a copy in flac format on CDR  , and a copy in wav format on CDR.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 07:47:54 AM »

I am assuming you were using a High compression rate , And or Cheap media

I have over 1500 disc's (95% mule ;) ) in Flac format and have yet to have a disc that would not encode after storage.

I archive my masters on multiple media in multiple formats  , One DVD containing a tracked and mastered copy and also a untouched master copy. (all in flac format) And then a copy in flac format on CDR  , and a copy in wav format on CDR.

I use compression rate of 8 - is that the highest compression rate?  I always thought it was the highest "quality" - for lack of better words.   I use Taiyo Yuden disks.... My suspicion is that when I move them (cut/paste or copy/paste), the new copy of the file is not EXACTLY the same as the original one, but the header is - so it won't encode.   Another dude from around here said he has had issues with this when moving files on his hard drives, and suggested moving .wavs, and not moving flacs, if possible.   He also suggest a program called rsync (I believe) to me, which will do a copy verification afterwards.

After this stuff happened, and I am still in 16bit, I just see audio cd's as the most simple, sure way to not lose my files.  I'm going to 24bit within the next couple weeks, so I think I'll be burning .wavs onto DVD-Rs after that, for archiving.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline momule

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 02:51:39 PM »
The high compression ratio simply means Higher compression , not higher quality .
It takes Much longer to encode the files using 8 . And your not getting anymore compression .
 I would suggest trying 5 ... Ive been using for years and like i said never had a problem.

Simply stated , Encoding at 8 is a waste of your time and maybe one of the reason's your having prob's. then again it could be the flaky TY's.  If your using the silver lacquer tops I would be backing your masters up now before there all trashed. Ty's & fuji's were great about 3 years ago (when made in Japan) But I wouldnt be using them anymore for my masters . YMMV

Keep an eye out the next time you encode something you cant reach a higher compression ratio that 6. 

cant be an issue of moving them from drive to drive as I move them from drive to drive and across the network for that matter without any problems.

I just cant see EAC'ing my masters to get a copy to my hard drive,  That just goes against the whole reason I started taping . Friends Dont let friends put a DAE in there linage  ;) YMMV

+T for your troubles, Hopefully ya can get um worked out one of these day's.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.155 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com