Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New to taping,need help getting started!  (Read 10974 times)

Offline Boctaper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • Brian's Metallica Page
Re: New to taping,need help getting started!
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2009, 05:44:10 PM »
Ok,cool!
Church Audio it is 8)

http://cgi.ebay.com/STEREO-MICROPHONES-PREAMP-4-R09-MT2-DAT-AND-MINIDISC_W0QQitemZ250296589780QQihZ015QQcategoryZ3281QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

Anything else I need to have the whole set up?

Sony Pcm-D50<Church audio with Preamp,mic!

So I do forsure need a preamp? I can't just plug in a mic right into my Sony Pcm-d50? amp is just for better sound from the Mic?

Dont get that setup. Its not good for what you want to do.
I dont want to get into selling in a public thread so if you have more questions please fire me off an email or a pm.

Chris

Pm sent 8)

Man,I didn't think it would be this hard :-[

Now its between

Pcm-D50 and R09HR

I mainly record rock shows=

Blue Oyster Cult (record it last year with my crap sony tape recorder) B recording on dbetree ::)
Shinedown
Mark Knopfler (Again with my Sony tape recorder) B- recording on dbetree plus ran out of tape/missing 5 songs :-\
Fates Warning
Audioslave
April wine (seeing them in 3 weeks)

Well,stuff like this.
Recorder:Edirol R-09HR
Mic's:SP-CMC-8
http://db.etree.org/metgpks

Offline sunjan

• Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 03:16:27 AM »
Now its between

Pcm-D50 and R09HR

If you want to keep your setup small and only tape loud shows, you can start by picking up an R-09HR and run mics directly into it. If you feel that you want to tape quiet stuff later on, but stick to stealth size - upgrade path CA-9100.

If you see yourself going open taping in the long run, the D50 will provide a better upgrade path, allowing digi-in. Can be paired with UA-5 or various high end AD's. You have more options, but your rig will be bulkier.
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline Boctaper

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Brian's Metallica Page
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2009, 09:14:57 PM »
Hey Guys

Im going to buy a new recorder Monday!Just post which one you would buy!

Sony D50

Or

R-09HR

Just what is better for you with features,sound and durable!Both I wouldn't mind getting! :-[
Thanks guys

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2009, 01:57:06 PM »
Hey Guys

Sony D50

Or

R-09HR

Just what is better for you with features,sound and durable!Both I wouldn't mind getting! :-[
Thanks guys

R09HR but there is also a d50 for sale cheap in the yardsale if its still there.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2009, 04:06:14 PM »
I hate advising people to buy gear based on a popularity contest.

If most of the music you listen to dictates that you are a stealth taper, my vote goes for the R09HR.  Advantages are (supposedly) a better analog input section than the Sony, and SD cards instead of those oddball sony cards.  Plus it really is quite a bit smaller, and half the weight (7 oz versus 13oz per their respective websites).

If you anticipate getting more into "open taping" with big mics and preamp, the digi-in on the sony allows for future growth.

Here is a tape my friend made with Church Audio STC-11 (same as CA-11's right?) stage lip, directly into the R09HR mic in with no preamp.  That's pretty small.

By the way... a big difference between omnis and cardioid mics.  Omnis pick up all around, and in the right setting they are great, but in the wrong setting they are all crowd chatter.  Regardless of the brand you buy, that is the case.  If you can get cardioid mics pointed in the right direction they will pick up less noise.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 04:10:47 PM by SmokinJoe »
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline Sunday Driver

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2009, 01:16:53 AM »
Hey Guys

Sony D50

Or

R-09HR

Thanks guys

My recommendation would be the R-09HR. The D-50 looks big and bulky.
You either record it or it's gone forever.
My Tapes

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2009, 09:14:13 AM »
I hate advising people to buy gear based on a popularity contest.

If most of the music you listen to dictates that you are a stealth taper, my vote goes for the R09HR.  Advantages are (supposedly) a better analog input section than the Sony, and SD cards instead of those oddball sony cards.  Plus it really is quite a bit smaller, and half the weight (7 oz versus 13oz per their respective websites).

If you anticipate getting more into "open taping" with big mics and preamp, the digi-in on the sony allows for future growth.

Here is a tape my friend made with Church Audio STC-11 (same as CA-11's right?) stage lip, directly into the R09HR mic in with no preamp.  That's pretty small.

By the way... a big difference between omnis and cardioid mics.  Omnis pick up all around, and in the right setting they are great, but in the wrong setting they are all crowd chatter.  Regardless of the brand you buy, that is the case.  If you can get cardioid mics pointed in the right direction they will pick up less noise.

Yes they are the same. I really recommend a battery box at the least when running my mics into a recorder but for low volume shows around 79 to 100db Max it can be done with out a battery box or preamp. Remember 100db for a bar band is very low.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2009, 11:03:42 AM »
Hey Guys

Sony D50

Or

R-09HR

Thanks guys

My recommendation would be the R-09HR. The D-50 looks big and bulky.

Ditto ;)
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Boctaper

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Brian's Metallica Page
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2009, 01:42:36 PM »
Man,it's been a tough few days!

So, Im going with the R-09HR 8) I really was going to go for the sony but I thought about the sneaky sneaky part about it and what would be great for Loud rock shows! :P

I'll be getting this mic:
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-CMC-8

Hope im set for a nice recording :D

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2009, 02:57:02 PM »

You'll be happy, at least for a while. Then one day you'll decide that maybe you get too much audience chatter and off you'll go buying more gear. And then you'll want to try something else ... more gear. You are now addicted! Welcome to the opium den ;D

BTW, you've made some good choices. There comes a point where you just have to jump in. As an old girlfriend of mine used to say, once you've bought it, quit shopping for it. The point being, be happy with what you bought and have no regrets. And my old girlfriend? Well, I should have kept shopping, I sure had some regrets there! Anyway, the shopping is over, the learning begins!

At this point you might want to join Team R-09 (http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,84382.0.html). They can help you with plenty of good advice. You'll also need some software to process your recordings but you can get decent stuff for free, like Audacity: http://audacity.sourceforge.net
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2009, 05:12:55 PM »

You'll be happy, at least for a while. Then one day you'll decide that maybe you get too much audience chatter and off you'll go buying more gear. And then you'll want to try something else ... more gear. You are now addicted! Welcome to the opium den ;D

BTW, you've made some good choices. There comes a point where you just have to jump in. As an old girlfriend of mine used to say, once you've bought it, quit shopping for it. The point being, be happy with what you bought and have no regrets. And my old girlfriend? Well, I should have kept shopping, I sure had some regrets there! Anyway, the shopping is over, the learning begins!

At this point you might want to join Team R-09 (http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,84382.0.html). They can help you with plenty of good advice. You'll also need some software to process your recordings but you can get decent stuff for free, like Audacity: http://audacity.sourceforge.net

Good advice. I am always upgrading my gear and I need to learn when enough is enough. Its a great hobby but like any hobby things can get out of hand real fast :)

Offline Boctaper

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Brian's Metallica Page
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2009, 07:44:54 PM »

Good advice. I am always upgrading my gear and I need to learn when enough is enough. Its a great hobby but like any hobby things can get out of hand real fast :)

Yeah,Ive just started and I think I'll have fun with this new hobby:-) Now,I have a question about Mic's- What is better, Binaural or Cardioid?

Man, so much stuff I need to learn about this new recording hobby :o
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 07:46:38 PM by Boctaper »

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2009, 07:24:52 AM »

Yeah,Ive just started and I think I'll have fun with this new hobby:-) Now,I have a question about Mic's- What is better, Binaural or Cardioid?

There is no "better" in this case, it all depends on what you want to do. Cardioid mics tend to pick up directionally in front of the mics, binaural are meant to be worn near or in your ears to approximate what you ears normally hear. Binaural mics are usually omni mics meaning they pick up all around, not just in front of the mic. Please be aware that much of what we "hear" is subject to psychoacoustics where your mind sorts out the sound. Recording tends to bring out the sounds your mind filters out at the time. Since I bet you want to record live music, I'll bet you would be happier with cardioid mics. Binaural may sound tempting, and I don't meant o dismiss it, but if you record in venues where people talk a lot you probably wont be so happy with them. The cardioid mics will pick up less noise around you and will focus more on the music in front of you. I think of it as the cardioids are for recording the music, binaurals are for recording the "experience."
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline Boctaper

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Brian's Metallica Page
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2009, 07:52:01 PM »

There is no "better" in this case, it all depends on what you want to do. Cardioid mics tend to pick up directionally in front of the mics, binaural are meant to be worn near or in your ears to approximate what you ears normally hear. Binaural mics are usually omni mics meaning they pick up all around, not just in front of the mic. Please be aware that much of what we "hear" is subject to psychoacoustics where your mind sorts out the sound. Recording tends to bring out the sounds your mind filters out at the time. Since I bet you want to record live music, I'll bet you would be happier with cardioid mics. Binaural may sound tempting, and I don't meant o dismiss it, but if you record in venues where people talk a lot you probably wont be so happy with them. The cardioid mics will pick up less noise around you and will focus more on the music in front of you. I think of it as the cardioids are for recording the music, binaurals are for recording the "experience."

Ok,great!I did get the Cardioid mics :D Now Im very happy I picked them 8) Thanks again for your help my friend,Im very glad I got the right mic's.

I hope all my stuff comes tomorrow as I'll be going to Big Head Todd and the Monsters!Not heavy music but I like all kinds, so this will be good for my first little recording (if I get my stuff) As the band is ok with recording and is allowed at their shows ;D

2 more weeks its APRIL WINE and WARRENT!

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2009, 08:24:18 PM »

I hope all my stuff comes tomorrow as I'll be going to Big Head Todd and the Monsters!Not heavy music but I like all kinds, so this will be good for my first little recording (if I get my stuff) As the band is ok with recording and is allowed at their shows ;D

Any band that recorded a song with John Lee Hooker can't totally suck!
--
Walter

this>that>the other

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com