Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New to taping,need help getting started!  (Read 10975 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: New to taping,need help getting started!
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2009, 10:09:51 PM »
FWIW, I ran that basic rig for five years and was totally happy with my recordings. 

I posted lots of those recordings to the Archive and many people gave my recordings either 4 or 5 stars.  While I do feel that my MUCH higher dollar rig is getting better recordings, the amount of $$ you have to pay for the incremental benefit of getting that higher quality is not worth it to many people...probably wouldn't be to me either if I added it all up.  I have to admit, there are times when I wonder if I shouldn't just drop back to my old AT-853s or a CA-14 setup and just not worry about it because my recordings back then made me just as happy as the ones that I get now...although yeah I like the higher quality of what I'm recording now.

The thing is, I'm now two years beyond upgrading from that rig and I'm a hopeless dredg of a gear slut...a lowlife scumbag whose main purpose in life is to grudgingly satisfy my uncontrollable urges...not less than 7 to 10 times daily...by clicking on the Yard Sale to see what else might have gotten posted, that I most certainly don't need, and most certainly shouldn't buy, but for sure will send me into cold sweats contemplating the balance in my checking account + the total I could sell XX gear for - the cost of the the latest daily 'can't live without' piece of gear nirvana.  Then I resist the urge and the whole cycle starts again an hour later when I click on the YS again and, gasp - OMG - can't believe my eyes, there listed is yet another CLWFAD (can't live without for another day) gadget!

::) Seriously...you've made a good choice. 

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2009, 11:16:07 PM »
While I do feel that my MUCH higher dollar rig is getting better recordings, the amount of $$ you have to pay for the incremental benefit of getting that higher quality is not worth it to many people...probably wouldn't be to me either if I added it all up. 

I figure the price/improvement ratio runs on some sort of geometric or even logarithmic scale. To improve the recording quality 10% requires 10 times the money, or something like that.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline Boctaper

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Brian's Metallica Page
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2009, 01:12:28 AM »
FWIW, I ran that basic rig for five years and was totally happy with my recordings. 

I posted lots of those recordings to the Archive and many people gave my recordings either 4 or 5 stars.  While I do feel that my MUCH higher dollar rig is getting better recordings, the amount of $$ you have to pay for the incremental benefit of getting that higher quality is not worth it to many people...probably wouldn't be to me either if I added it all up.  I have to admit, there are times when I wonder if I shouldn't just drop back to my old AT-853s or a CA-14 setup and just not worry about it because my recordings back then made me just as happy as the ones that I get now...although yeah I like the higher quality of what I'm recording now.

The thing is, I'm now two years beyond upgrading from that rig and I'm a hopeless dredg of a gear slut...a lowlife scumbag whose main purpose in life is to grudgingly satisfy my uncontrollable urges...not less than 7 to 10 times daily...by clicking on the Yard Sale to see what else might have gotten posted, that I most certainly don't need, and most certainly shouldn't buy, but for sure will send me into cold sweats contemplating the balance in my checking account + the total I could sell XX gear for - the cost of the the latest daily 'can't live without' piece of gear nirvana.  Then I resist the urge and the whole cycle starts again an hour later when I click on the YS again and, gasp - OMG - can't believe my eyes, there listed is yet another CLWFAD (can't live without for another day) gadget!

::) Seriously...you've made a good choice. 

Thanks Friend

Yeah,I think I will be happy with it as anything is better then my old Sony TCM-454VK tape recorder.HAHA

Thanks to my tax return I got a very good 1st set up!Spent $800 for everything and I think I will stick with it for a long time as I don't need the BEST sounding set up!I can handle an ok sounding show as I recorded BLUE OYSTER CULT last year with my crap Sony TCM and I really like the sound just from that!(had to turn up the sound a little<LOL)
Recorder:Edirol R-09HR
Mic's:SP-CMC-8
http://db.etree.org/metgpks

stevetoney

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2009, 08:30:56 AM »
As others have mentioned, a few recommendations for your future sanity...

a) stay away from this board  ;D

b) stay in tune with your taping objectives...what I mean by this is that your statement above indicates that you're like me when I started in that my main objective was that I just wanted a good sounding souvenier of a killer show that I'd attended so that I could relive the experience. 

This is still an objective of mine, but honestly the hobby has become so much more than that for me now that I have become friends with lots of people on this list and friends with a good number of band member in the music community that really appreciate and depend on this medium to help them promote their music.  I'm OK with that though because I derive alot of pleasure from this since I am basically a closet rock-star from birth anyway (aren't we all?) so this is my way of giving back what the industry gives to me. 

c) don't start comparing the sound quality of your recordings to those that are made with more expensive rigs.

These are my warnings...now proceed with caution!   ;D

I hope you realize that my diatribe about gear sluttiness a couple of messages up was poking fun at those of us that delve into the world of gear slut-ness.  It's basically just a fun hobby that turns serious by virtue of the size of the dollars that get turned over.  LOL.

stevetoney

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2009, 08:33:09 AM »
While I do feel that my MUCH higher dollar rig is getting better recordings, the amount of $$ you have to pay for the incremental benefit of getting that higher quality is not worth it to many people...probably wouldn't be to me either if I added it all up. 

I figure the price/improvement ratio runs on some sort of geometric or even logarithmic scale. To improve the recording quality 10% requires 10 times the money, or something like that.

As someone that's on the side where he's spent too much, I'd like to think the I've spent 10 times more for my rig to get more than 10% sound improvement, but the basic concept holds true and the amount of value derived from the additional investment is totally subjective, for sure!

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2009, 09:17:38 AM »
Yeah, I realize the formula isn't exactly right nor does it cover all circumstances. But I do think that as you move up past a certain point, each level of improvement costs much more. You don't get 10% improvement for 10% more money. Where's that magic point where you get the biggest bang for the buck? Probably at the hand held digital recorder with decent external mics level. That configuration allows you to run low profile or to run open and to use various mic configurations. You can also pull soundboards or patch into another person's rig if desired. I think boctaper's selection will put him at that level. His next purchase should be a stand for the mics when running open.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

stevetoney

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2009, 10:06:15 AM »
No debate on any of those points here cybergaloot (funny handle btw).  Good luck with the new rig Mr. OP (original poster)

Offline Boctaper

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Brian's Metallica Page
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2009, 02:06:24 PM »

I hope all my stuff comes tomorrow as I'll be going to Big Head Todd and the Monsters!Not heavy music but I like all kinds, so this will be good for my first little recording (if I get my stuff) As the band is ok with recording and is allowed at their shows ;D

Any band that recorded a song with John Lee Hooker can't totally suck!

WOW! I just recorded my first good sounding recording:-) Big Head Todd kicks ass!!1st time seeing them live,a great jamming band I must say!Im very happy with my set up! 8) Now on to some Hard rock shows,LOL! Maybe not Hard Hard rock, April Wine?HAHA

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2009, 04:39:36 PM »
Now on to some Hard rock shows,LOL! Maybe not Hard Hard rock, April Wine?HAHA

I saw/taped them last year and they were LOUD. Talk about your high SPL's.  Make sure you are center in the venue as they pan the guitars from left to right during 21st Century Schizoid Man.  I did a stack recording and it sounds good except for that tune.  :P
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline deadheadcorey

• HOME TEAM Tapir
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • think for yourself, question authority
    • My Recordings on the LMA
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2009, 09:21:22 PM »
good luck brah, picked a great hobby, especialy if you LOVE MUSIC  ;D ;)
mics: Audix M1245a-HC; AKG SE300B/CK91; Naiant X-O (hanging in the sweet spot @ Quixote's True Blue)
pres: Oade T+ UA-5; digimod UA-5
recs: R-09x3

iso: 2 ck93 caps
iso: pair of AT4041 mics

Official Archivist for Grant Farm

http://www.facebook.com/kindrecordingscolorado

Jerry Joseph rap during 'Conscious Contact'
"Life's pretty good. life's pretty good. it isn't all good.
I hate it when people tell me its all good. it's not all good.
it's not suppose to be all good. it's suppose to be bad sometimes so you can enjoy the good parts."

Offline rjp

• Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2009, 11:49:44 PM »
Binaural may sound tempting, and I don't meant o dismiss it, but if you record in venues where people talk a lot you probably wont be so happy with them. The cardioid mics will pick up less noise around you and will focus more on the music in front of you. I think of it as the cardioids are for recording the music, binaurals are for recording the "experience."

In general, that's good advice. There are certain situations where binaurals can come in real handy, though - not just for st*****, but for cases where the acoustics of the venue are an important part of the experience, and the audience is quiet. Think of a cathedral or chapel, for instance, or a classical concert. Binaurals are definitely NOT for a bar full of drunks! ;D
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Offline Boctaper

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Brian's Metallica Page
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2009, 06:53:25 PM »
Now on to some Hard rock shows,LOL! Maybe not Hard Hard rock, April Wine?HAHA

I saw/taped them last year and they were LOUD. Talk about your high SPL's.  Make sure you are center in the venue as they pan the guitars from left to right during 21st Century Schizoid Man.  I did a stack recording and it sounds good except for that tune.  :P

I just taped the April wine show:-) Sound is not bad! Not sure why I had to turn my Edirol R-09HR to the max setting of input vol at 80 :-\ It never peaked once.Do I have a bad battery box or just mic that can't pick up much?The show was very loud ???

Don't know,Still learning :)

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2009, 07:11:48 AM »
Not sure why I had to turn my Edirol R-09HR to the max setting of input vol at 80 :-\ It never peaked once.Do I have a bad battery box or just mic that can't pick up much?

Sounds like a flat bbox battery to me. Check the voltage with a multimeter.
Also, did you go mic-in on the R09HR?

Can you replicate the same problem standing in front of your own stereo at home?
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline Boctaper

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Brian's Metallica Page
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2009, 10:50:10 PM »
I use the Line in

I will need to check a few things.I will try a new battery for the battery box ^-^

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2009, 12:58:13 AM »
Your Mikes are probably the issue.  If you are using small format Mikes, they have less surface area and need more boosting.  My suggestion is to get most of the gain from a preamp.  Chris Church makes a nice small one.  I crank his up all the way and set the Edirol for about 50-60 and in a small club get peaks of 12db.  It needs a lot of boosting to get up to a decent 0db, and then flattening out with compression, but the recordings are very clean.

I have DPA Omnis and Sound Designs Cartoids, and like the DPA's better.  I'd love a really Card, like the DPA or Schoeps--- 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com