Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What are usually the consequences of getting caught?  (Read 10601 times)

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: What are usually the consequences of getting caught?
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2009, 12:16:57 AM »
Just use the force. If you're not a Jedi...you should visit this guy...you can find him in the Degobah System

Security dude: Do you have any recording or camera equipment in your bag?

Me: No.

Security dude: Okay, have a nice night.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2009, 12:40:01 AM »
I've been kicked out a few times at shows that let the gear in but then all of a sudden became anti-taping.  The only time I have been caught and had a major hassle at a show that was non taping was at Ziggy Marley/311/and 3 other no name bands   Even though 311 was OK with it ZM made it a no taping show.  I should have known there would be issues from the lot.  Relatives of ZM were going around the lot and busting anyone that sold shirts etc with any kind of Marley type design.   I got in with no problems and started to set up my gear.  As soon as I started to raise my stand security pounced on me.  I had 6-8 security guards surrounding me plus one of the Marley clan yelling at me about how what I was about to do was totally illegal.  They made me pack up and were asking for my gear.  I packed up immediately and headed for the exit pretty much trying to ignore them all and guarding everything I brought with me.  They hassled me all the way to the gate.  Once I was outside the venue they had two guards in a golf cart follow me back to my Jeep.   At first they parked the golf cart right behind my car so I could not leave the lot.  After 15-20 min I got out of the Jeep and basically told the guards that what I was doing was not illegal but that their detaining me was.  After going back and forth I told them that I was sure that I was in the right and if they did not agree to call the cops.  They did not disagree, but did not call the cops.  Eventually I said something along the line of 'You are illegally detaining me, I've been pretty laid back up to this point, but I'm about to call the cops and my lawyer (Like I have one... Hah) in that order."  At that point they got in the golf cart and drove away and I went home.  Total pain in the ass.

EDIT:
I've never even been close to being caught with my low pro rig.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 12:45:13 AM by china_rider »
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline rhinowing

• Trade Count: (0)
    • SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2009, 01:59:06 AM »
Led Zeppelin security used to smash your gear and then beat the shit out of you...  There's a story about Peter Grant beating the crap out of some guy that had a microphone at a LedZep show.  Turns out the guy was a local cop with a Decibel Meter...  Oops!

Terry

I believe that was Vancouver between 69-71. I was really big into Zeppelin collecting for a while and I remember coming across the story.
iirc this was 3/21/70 (the mudslide show)
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline DaveH

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2009, 10:58:39 AM »
I got busted twice at the Trocadero in Philly. The first time wasn't really a bust, they found something on the patdown, asked if it was a pager and I told them yes. (I never knew a pager was the size of a Radio Shack Cassette Recorder.)

Second time was at an Anthrax show in 2000 and I was being completely careless having the recorder in plain sight. I tried to use the pager excuse again but it didn't work. They took the recorder but allowed me to stay and said I could pick it up on my way out. Oddly enough they gave me back the recorder tape in tact and the first four songs were still there along with the audio of me getting busted. After listening a little closer I could hear some snitch ratting me out beforehand. Anyway the entire evening sucked to begin with as I missed the majority of the opening acts and ended up with a total of eight songs (Four from Fu Manchu, four from Anthrax.)

My next trip there came six months later as a waste of time since Motorhead cancelled at the last minute! Making matters worse I decided not to stick around and later found out that the two supports (Nashville Pussy and The Supersuckers) did play their sets that night.

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2009, 11:17:15 AM »
Snitches....these people would sell out their family members if we were a totalitarian society....

Anyway, I've never been busted.  I've had close calls with security, but no biggie. 
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

nameloc01

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2009, 01:35:27 PM »
The Mudslide show is in my top 3 favorite Zep shows.

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2009, 04:49:49 AM »
Mine too! Most people ignore this show for some reason, but it's killer. Shame it's incomplete.

Try the Montreaux show from 7 March also.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

nameloc01

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2009, 05:21:44 PM »
^ that particular version of "SIBLY" is sick. I actually have a "Masters Series" silver of that show..I always found it weird that inside sleeve has a photo of Page,naked, with his crotch covered in cow intestines..while Pamela DesBarres is kneeling down in front of him pretending(?) to eat it. It was obviously shot professionally. Very strange.

Offline westkc3

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2009, 04:02:16 PM »
I've been "caught" four times since I began taping in 1978.  First time was in Kansas City at a free concert "in" Brush Creek.  It was a Ramsey Lewis show.  I was using a JVC 1636 MarkII casette recorder.  I had a ghetto rig with two aluminum poles anchored into a 4 x 4 block of wood angled out at about 45 degrees.  Attached to the poles were a couple Shure mics I borrowed from a friend, no clips, good old duct tape.  So we're rolling along nicely and having a great time when about 45 minutes into the show this guy walks up and presses the stop button.  I was so surprised I had no chance to stop him but I and two of my compatriots jumped up like there had been an explosion and I literally yelled at the guy "what the f*** are you doing.  He steps back and says "no recording".  To which I responded, keep your hands off of my s***.  He repeats "no recording" and I said "I heard you, and you don't touch my equipment again understand" and he walks away.  I look around and there are numerous individuals with small hand held recorders,  the micro cassette type generally.  So I hit record and begin to take my sweet time taking the rig down first slowly folding up the blanket, then taking a breather and finising my drink and putting the food and drink into the cooler.  It must have taken me 30 - 40 minutes befor I actually began taking down the equipment.

The next day I called the Parks & Rec office as they had sponsered the series.  I proceeded to ream them out for having singled me out to which they responded that mine was the only "professional" equipment being used.  I had a good laugh at that and told them that it was rediculous to have such a half ass policy and that one man's trash is another man's treasure and I would continue to record at the series until a clear policy was published.  Next show, Asleep At The Wheel, no problem.  Next show, Pat Metheny, no problem.  Guess they got the message.

Next time was at Universal Lending Pavilion, Denver.  I had a pair odf SP-CMC-22 mics mounted in heavy gauge wire in a T shape.  I held these just under my chin.  All was well until the next to last song when an usher waks up leans into the isle and says "put it away". Caught that load and clear on the recording and always have a good chuckle when I hear it.

Two months later, same venue, two ushers walk up to me and one says there's no recording allowed.  I tell him that I'd checked online and the artist allowed taping.  He said that was not correct and politely asked me to stop.  Interestingly enough, the one who didn't say a word was the one who had busted me the first time at that venue.

Fast forward to 2007, Paramount Theater. Get to the show, set up the rig, 1st row balcony.  Record the entire show and I'm taking my time taking down the rig when again an usher walks up and says, "I see you were recording."  I say yes.  He proceeds to tell me that there was no recording allowed.  I tell him the artist is open taping.  He walks away an returns a couple minutes later and tells me that he checked and security said no taping.  So I say ok, show him the file in the H120, show him the delete option and I delete "a" file.  He sems satisfied and walks away.  I quickly teat down, pack up and rush out of the theater. 

I have found that at my age (50+), venue personnel take a much different tact than they did when I was younger.

Offline wevodau

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Archive.org Contributions
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2009, 05:22:35 PM »
I figure I'll add my 0.02.  I've been busted once at at Josh Ritter show at the Parish in Austin.  The buster was Josh's sound guy, as far as I could tell.  Oddly, when I got there, I talked to one of the house sound people who I had talked to a bit at another show a few months prior and she let me patch in.  Anyway, moral is that Josh isn't cool with SBD patches.  I kept my gear (and the AUD recording) and they kept the SBD copy.  No worries.

I was also busted weeks after-the-fact by one of James McMurtry's guys via email.  I had seen recordings floating around EZT/DIME when I taped him at the Cactus in '05 or '06 so I figured he was cool with it.  He wasn't.  I should have asked.  I buried that recording in the back of my collection never to be heard again.

90% of the artists I tape are local to Austin and I've gotten to know the personnel at the clubs - Stubb's, Threadgill's, Momo's, Cheatham Street, Mean Eyed Cat, Cactus Cafe, Continental Club, Jovita's - well enough that they're usually very obliging to whatever I'm inclined to do (SBD, AUD, MTX) as long it's not intrusive to people enjoying the show.

In my experience, the club folks have been very cool with me recording as long as the band is ok with it.  With touring acts, when possible I always ask - to make sure their policy hasn't changed.  This prevents what could be an uncomfortable situation later.
Mics: Rode NT5/NT4/NTG3, AT 8035/2020/2021, SP-CMC-20, Shure SM57/Beta 58
Preamps: Presonus Firepod, Presonus Firestudio
Recorders: Alesis HD24, Tascam DR680/DR680mkII/DR44-WL, Sony D50

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2009, 08:08:35 PM »
position your cables discreetly (worded in accordance with ts policy :-)

Snitches....
#Generalstrike for president in 2024

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2009, 08:42:37 PM »
position your cables discreetly (worded in accordance with ts policy :-)

I hear the STEALTH bomber is making a come back ;)

Offline powermonkey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2009, 11:57:25 AM »
Only time I've ever come close to being busted was when a friend of mine had a run-in with a particularly drunken bitch at a Babyshambles show.... her reaction to being asked to chill out and stop deliberately jumping into people (nowhere near the 'pit', probably 60 yards from the stage) was firstly to get her boyfriend and tell him to hit my friend (which thankfully he didn't) and secondly to go get a security guy and tell him we were illegally filming the show. He wasn't best pleased, so my pal put away her camera and I unplugged and switched off - partly because I thought he'd take the taping more seriously than the filming, but mainly because I'd got a crystal clear tape of the drunken tart and the security guy.

Fucking pain in the arse, that was.... next thing I knew, Shane Magowan had come on for an awesome version of Dirty Old Town.

::)

Church Audio CA-11s, CA-14 Cards, CA-14 Omnis, Peluso CEMC-6

CA 9200 preamp
FEL BMA-1 Preamp

Edirol R09
Edirol R09HR
Sony M10
Edirol R44

My live recordings.... HERE:

https://www.facebook.com/Liverecordings1

and/or

https://soundcloud.com/liverecordings-1

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com