Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What is the new hotness for stealth/small profile taping?  (Read 11204 times)

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
What is the new hotness for stealth/small profile taping?
« on: July 23, 2009, 04:03:27 PM »
When I taped in 2003-2006, I used a laptop and then a JB3.  I've since lost both of those (sold laptop, gave back JB3).  So I haven't taped since then.  I used giant squids and AT853's -> custom Batt Box -> JB3.  I hated the JB3.  Not user friendly and too big.

I'd like to find something the size of an iPod (not an iRiver) that is the new big thing, with some small mics that I can also stick on a t-bar too if I want.

So, what is there?  Let's assume that money isn't really an object.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 04:28:55 PM by Brian Emerick »
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline J.Maye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Formerly Phan2001
Re: What is the new hotness for stealth/small profile taping?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 04:16:35 PM »
R09HR for the recorder, or 722 if you really have some space in your pants. There are about a million different pre/mic combos.
AKG CK91/92/93/94>mk93/h98>se300b>BM2P+ua5>M10
Or
CA ST11 (C,O)>9100>M10
Busman T mod R4

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 04:16:48 PM »
When I taped in 2003-2006, I used a laptop and then a JB3.  I've since lost both of those (sold laptop, gave back JB3).  So I haven't taped since then.  I used giant squids and AT853's -> custom Batt Box -> JB3.  I hated the JB3.  Not user friendly and too big.

I'd like to find something the size of an iPod (not an iRiver) that is the new big thing, with some small mics that I can also stick on a t-bar too if I want.

So, what is there?  Let's assume that money isn't really an option.

:) I assume you mean money is no "object"... but anyway..

The most common small recorder is the Edirol R-09HR.  Generally good reliability, good internal pre, easy to use, records 24bit. Not as small as an iPod but a lot smaller than a JB3 or a DAT machine.

Mics--- if money is really not a problem. the top of the line would involve something like Schoeps Mk4 or DPA 4022 running into various power supplies -but you probably already know that.  

In small to miniature mics that you could still put on a t-bar, the main models in very rough order of quality and price (quality being subjective of course), are:

Highest-end
Schoeps Mk4/DPA 4022 ($3000)

High-end miniature omnis (don't really need a t-bar or stand since you can mount to about anything)
DPA 4061 (omni, not ideal for every situation but excellent when used properly) ~$1000

High-end cardiods/hypers  (in the $500-700 range) (these would be less goofy looking on a t-bar)
Audix M1290 (Chris Church can apparently do some kind of active cables for these now)
AKG ck91/ck93 actives (you'd need someone to mod them and find a power source)

...and then the category I'd call "very good to great easy to use small mics under $500" which is probably what you're really asking about

The below 4 are roughly equivalent or at least it is debatable:
MM-HLSC-1 (Sennheiser MKE 40's, I believe they really are)
SP-CMC-4 (AT U853) (you apparently owned these so you know the deal)
Church CA-14 (roughly comparable to SP-CMC-4) (there are great rig pics of these mounted to a t-bar)
SP-CMC-8 (AT 943)

Other than those, there are Church CA-11, which are not as good as the CA-14 but are loved by many and smaller than they are, and then the classic omni models from Coresound and Sonic Studios that I would guess you are already familiar with.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few models like the Giant Squids and a few others, but the above are what I find to be talked about the most on here.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 04:18:23 PM by acidjack »
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Brian E.

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 04:32:20 PM »
haha yes, I did mean "object" sorry.

Thank you for the in-depth write-up.  I appreciate the time that went into it.  I will take a look at those.  I may be leaning more towards something in the $400-500 range for a pair of mics to start, which I know doesn't go with my original statement but I wanted to know the best of the best first.  That recorder looks great and not bad for around $300.

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 04:44:06 PM »
haha yes, I did mean "object" sorry.

Thank you for the in-depth write-up.  I appreciate the time that went into it.  I will take a look at those.  I may be leaning more towards something in the $400-500 range for a pair of mics to start, which I know doesn't go with my original statement but I wanted to know the best of the best first.  That recorder looks great and not bad for around $300.

For $500-600 I would definitely consider trying to get some AKG ck91/93 actives done up or the Audix.  I think the Audix may cost a bit more (though maybe not if you just buy the caps) and I don't know anyone who runs them as actives (yet), but as I said, apparently Chris Church has some cables that will do the trick. 

Busman Audio just did a set each of ck91/ck93 for me.  The caps I think are $400 a pair new, then you have to pay for the mods, plus something to power them.  Folks here have made and sold homemade battery boxes in the past.  I picked up all the stuff (caps + a homemade BB) used in the Yard Sale.  Another option is Chris Church can make one of his small preamps to power them.  I will be getting one of those as soon as I can for open taping or at least "less low profile" taping.     

Both these options are especially good if you plan to do *some* open taping as well.   

As I said, many here love the CA-14s and do some open taping with them.  If you still have your AT 853s, I'm not sure CA-14s would be much of an upgrade to those if any, though again, both are well-liked mics. 
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 04:47:14 PM »
R09HR gets raves but there are many other small recorders out now ; new offerings from Sony, Olympus, Teac, Tascam, Korg and probably some others.

Offline Brian E.

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 04:49:08 PM »
thanks jack - so, "active" still means I have to have a battery box, right?

Are there no recorders that will power a mic itself?  I didn't know if that even existed, or if any mics have built in slimline boxes.  I just got tired of carrying around a mess of boxes and wires - it'd be great to just plug the mics right into the recorder and go.  But again, I don't know if that exists.

I was borrowing the AT853's from a friend at the time, and I haven't seen him for a few years so that's out ;)  But yes, I liked them a lot.  I just figured something better in the same price range would come out in the past 5 years.  I'll check into the ones you mentioned.  Thanks!

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 05:04:28 PM »
If money is no object, I would get the Schoeps CCM4 or CCM41 and feed that into a Marantz PMD 661 recorder that will give P48 as well.  Or, CCM4/CCM41 > Denecke PS-2 > Edirol R-09HR.  Either way, the CCm4s will most likely have to be bought new for around $4k a pair, so you're looking at about $4,500 for the either setup.  It'll be great though.  8)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 05:06:11 PM by su6oxone »

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 05:09:07 PM »
Has anyone here tried the Scheops battery/lav operated powering modules?

I'm not sure what they're called, but they are designed to power (standard) capsules from battery power.  There is some kind of voltage converter inside to generate the (60v?) polarization voltage.  Sounds like a great option for any Scheops, so I'm surprised I haven't heard of them here.  Maybe the are vaporware???

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 06:03:52 PM »

I'm not sure what they're called, but they are designed to power (standard) capsules from battery power.  There is some kind of voltage converter inside to generate the (60v?) polarization voltage.  Sounds like a great option for any Scheops, so I'm surprised I haven't heard of them here.  Maybe the are vaporware???

Richard

There is a huge post about the Schoeps NBox vs. the CMRs that was just up on here this week... if you search "Schoeps nbox" or "Schoeps CMR" should come up....

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 06:06:13 PM »

Are there no recorders that will power a mic itself?  I didn't know if that even existed, or if any mics have built in slimline boxes.  I just got tired of carrying around a mess of boxes and wires - it'd be great to just plug the mics right into the recorder and go.  But again, I don't know if that exists.

I was borrowing the AT853's from a friend at the time, and I haven't seen him for a few years so that's out ;)  But yes, I liked them a lot.  I just figured something better in the same price range would come out in the past 5 years.  I'll check into the ones you mentioned.  Thanks!

Correct, you would need a battery box or a preamp.  People on here have made homemade battery boxes for the AKG ck91s.  The Church ST-9100 preamp is bigger than a battery box but still pretty small and portable and will be an improvement on the internal pre of the R-09HR.

And it is true, the R-09HR isn't necessariliy the be-all, end-all.  I use it and like it, and I think most people that have them like them a lot, but there are other options for recorders.  Mics are obviously the more important component.

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 06:16:13 PM »

Richard

There is a huge post about the Schoeps NBox vs. the CMRs that was just up on here this week... if you search "Schoeps nbox" or "Schoeps CMR" should come up....
A (quick) search, I can't find it.  Can you post me a link?

Thanks,
  Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 06:29:53 PM »

Richard

A (quick) search, I can't find it.  Can you post me a link?

Thanks,
  Richard

just a few threads down from this one: Schoeps small rig

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 01:27:40 PM »

For the money and size i use the marantz pmd620 mic in(plug in power of 5v) with the at853's or the hlsc-1's with great results, supper small profile and the 620 has a -12 or -24 pad built in option in the menu for really loud music, of course if you have a quieter show i would use a small pre like a 9100

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 11:00:51 AM »
For the money and size i use the marantz pmd620 mic in(plug in power of 5v) with the at853's or the hlsc-1's with great results, supper small profile and the 620 has a -12 or -24 pad built in option in the menu for really loud music, of course if you have a quieter show i would use a small pre like a 9100

The Oade version of the PMD620 might be worth a look too.  A little pricier, but I have been really pleased with the results I have gotten going with either plug-in power or with a small battery box...

Offline Brian E.

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2009, 12:45:03 PM »
thanks for all the help, I'm going to sift through it :)

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2009, 04:14:06 PM »

So, what is there?  Let's assume that money isn't really an option.

:) I assume you mean money is no "object"... but anyway..

The most common small recorder is the Edirol R-09HR.  Generally good reliability, good internal pre, easy to use, records 24bit. Not as small as an iPod but a lot smaller than a JB3 or a DAT machine.

Mics--- if money is really not a problem. the top of the line would involve something like Schoeps Mk4 or DPA 4022 running into various power supplies -but you probably already know that.  

In small to miniature mics that you could still put on a t-bar, the main models in very rough order of quality and price (quality being subjective of course), are:

Highest-end
Schoeps Mk4/DPA 4022 ($3000)

High-end miniature omnis (don't really need a t-bar or stand since you can mount to about anything)
DPA 4061 (omni, not ideal for every situation but excellent when used properly) ~$1000

High-end cardiods/hypers  (in the $500-700 range) (these would be less goofy looking on a t-bar)
Audix M1290 (Chris Church can apparently do some kind of active cables for these now)
AKG ck91/ck93 actives (you'd need someone to mod them and find a power source)

...and then the category I'd call "very good to great easy to use small mics under $500" which is probably what you're really asking about

The below 4 are roughly equivalent or at least it is debatable:
MM-HLSC-1 (Sennheiser MKE 40's, I believe they really are)
SP-CMC-4 (AT U853) (you apparently owned these so you know the deal)
Church CA-14 (roughly comparable to SP-CMC-4) (there are great rig pics of these mounted to a t-bar)
SP-CMC-8 (AT 943)

Other than those, there are Church CA-11, which are not as good as the CA-14 but are loved by many and smaller than they are, and then the classic omni models from Coresound and Sonic Studios that I would guess you are already familiar with.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few models like the Giant Squids and a few others, but the above are what I find to be talked about the most on here.

Couldn't agree more  ;)
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2009, 05:19:29 PM »
Brian, you might also want to look into the new active cables for Audix 1290 capsules that Chris Church is now selling (see Retail Space).  The Audix caps are a higher-quality cap than the Church mics and the AT853 mics (and more expensive by over 100%), but being able to run them with a standard 9v battery box (like the kind you can buy from Church or Sound Professionals) is a high-quailty and low-profile new option.  I don't know anyone who has used the Audix in this configuration, but there are plenty of samples of Audix 1290 mics on the LME and etree.

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 01:01:39 PM »
there are also other options for small profile mics with "active" cables, that are similar in size to a schoeps, nuemann, or DPA active setup.  Specifically, I'm thinking of the milab vm-44 link, the beyerdynamic CK930, and the MBHO mics with "active" cables and caps.  Personally, I think all three of these options are a step up from the tiny tiny battery-box powered mics, and are significantly cheaper than mics from schoep or neumann or DPA.  For rough costs, you can get a pair of beyerdynamic CK930 mics for ~$1,000 (new), and I think the milabs are ~$1300 (new).

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2009, 01:31:33 PM »
there are also other options for small profile mics with "active" cables, that are similar in size to a schoeps, nuemann, or DPA active setup.  Specifically, I'm thinking of the milab vm-44 link, the beyerdynamic CK930, and the MBHO mics with "active" cables and caps.  Personally, I think all three of these options are a step up from the tiny tiny battery-box powered mics, and are significantly cheaper than mics from schoep or neumann or DPA.  For rough costs, you can get a pair of beyerdynamic CK930 mics for ~$1,000 (new), and I think the milabs are ~$1300 (new).

Jason - Am I correct, though, that of the ones you listed (other than the Beyers, which I should have listed), you need both the mic body somewhere in the chain + a power source?  I agree that all of the mics you mentioned (well, the MBHO and Beyer anyway; I'm not that familiar with Milabs personally) would sound better, but if the OP's goal is to achieve a "stealth" type of setup, am I right that it is not as practical to also have to have mic bodies in the chain as well? 

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2009, 01:43:40 PM »
doesn't get any hotter than this rig if you ask me..

FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2009, 03:15:37 PM »

That is still a lot of gear.  I'd like to see, Scheops CMR > batt. box > Edirol.

Richard

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2009, 03:22:29 PM »
I guess it's all relative.  That VMS rig is easily stealthable.
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2009, 03:23:24 PM »

dpa 402x > sd 722 :)

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2009, 03:57:39 PM »

Jason - Am I correct, though, that of the ones you listed (other than the Beyers, which I should have listed), you need both the mic body somewhere in the chain + a power source?  I agree that all of the mics you mentioned (well, the MBHO and Beyer anyway; I'm not that familiar with Milabs personally) would sound better, but if the OP's goal is to achieve a "stealth" type of setup, am I right that it is not as practical to also have to have mic bodies in the chain as well? 

yes, having mic bodies in the gear chain is more gear than not.

Schoeps caps > kc5 > cmc6 > whatever gear
Neumann caps > lc3 > km100 bodies > whatever gear
beyerdynamic CK930 caps > remote cable > CK930 bodies > whatever gear
mbho caps > remote cable > mbho bodies > whatever gear
milab caps > remote cable > milab bodies > whatever gear

all of the options above have the microphone bodies in the gear chain, while the options below do not:

Schoeps CCM series
DPA 4021/4022/4023/etc
Schoeps mk caps > nbox
Schoeps mk caps > vms02ib
Schoeps mk caps > CMR

there's probably more that I'm not thinking about right now, but you get the idea.
To sum up, there's always compromises.
For a lot of people, cost is a big consideration, and having the mic bodies in the gear chain is not that big of a compromise.  I was just throwing out some of the better sounding / more affordable options for a low profile recording setup.

edit to add:
and in regards to a power source.  Every microphone needs a power source.  As a gross generalization, I think phantom powered mics sound better than mics powered with a battery box.  (obviously there are exceptions.  Schoeps caps with the CMR cable and battery box, Schoeps caps with an nbox or vms, etc..)  I think most people would agree that it's way more convenient to have your mic power source included in your pre-amp and/or recorder.  the SD boxes provide phantom power.  So does the Marantz PMD-661 and the Fostex FR-2LE.  or you could get a small phantom power supply like the Denecke PS-2 and run that into a deck that's even smaller than the three decks I just mentioned.  or get a small external pre-eamp, like the Sonosax SX-M2, Aerco MP-2, or the new naiant littlebox.  any of those will provide phantom power and gain, and then run into a small little deck.  Like I said earlier though, I think it's less hassle to get a larger deck, but only deal with one box instead of two (pre+recorder)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 04:03:52 PM by JasonSobel »

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2009, 04:21:51 PM »

yes, having mic bodies in the gear chain is more gear than not.

Schoeps caps > kc5 > cmc6 > whatever gear
Neumann caps > lc3 > km100 bodies > whatever gear
beyerdynamic CK930 caps > remote cable > CK930 bodies > whatever gear
mbho caps > remote cable > mbho bodies > whatever gear
milab caps > remote cable > milab bodies > whatever gear

all of the options above have the microphone bodies in the gear chain, while the options below do not:

Schoeps CCM series
DPA 4021/4022/4023/etc
Schoeps mk caps > nbox
Schoeps mk caps > CMR

there's probably more that I'm not thinking about right now, but you get the idea.
To sum up, there's always compromises.
For a lot of people, cost is a big consideration, and having the mic bodies in the gear chain is not that big of a compromise.  I was just throwing out some of the better sounding / more affordable options for a low profile recording setup.

edit to add:
and in regards to a power source.  Every microphone needs a power source.  As a gross generalization, I think phantom powered mics sound better than mics powered with a battery box.  (obviously there are exceptions.  Schoeps caps with the CMR cable and battery box, Schoeps caps with an nbox or vms, etc..)  I think most people would agree that it's way more convenient to have your mic power source included in your pre-amp and/or recorder.  the SD boxes provide phantom power.  So does the Marantz PMD-661 and the Fostex FR-2LE.  or you could get a small phantom power supply like the Denecke PS-2 and run that into a deck that's even smaller than the three decks I just mentioned.  or get a small external pre-eamp, like the Sonosax SX-M2, Aerco MP-2, or the new naiant littlebox.  any of those will provide phantom power and gain, and then run into a small little deck.  Like I said earlier though, I think it's less hassle to get a larger deck, but only deal with one box instead of two (pre+recorder)
[/quote]

All true, all true.  Assuming I upgrade to such a rig eventually, I think the 661 or something like it that has onboard phantom is probably a good way to go.

I thought that actually the Beyer ck930 was a self-contained small mic a la the DPA 402x and Schoeps CCM - i.e., there is just a small body and there is no detachable cap.  Am I wrong about that?  I'm just basing it on this picture... http://www.frontendaudio.com/Beyerdynamic_CK_930_Microphone_Set_p/9999-00536.htm

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2009, 04:24:28 PM »

Schoeps CCM series
DPA 4021/4022/4023/etc
Schoeps mk caps > nbox
Schoeps mk caps > CMR

Add Schoeps MK caps > Sonosax SX-M2/LS2 (aka Lemosax) to the list.  And I vaguely recall the /LS2 will work with Neumann AK caps, too, but it's only a vague notion, and I don't know of anyone having used that setup.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2009, 04:39:34 PM »
I thought that actually the Beyer ck930 was a self-contained small mic a la the DPA 402x and Schoeps CCM - i.e., there is just a small body and there is no detachable cap.  Am I wrong about that?  I'm just basing it on this picture... http://www.frontendaudio.com/Beyerdynamic_CK_930_Microphone_Set_p/9999-00536.htm

the picture there doesn't show the mic body.  it's a "typical" size for a mic body, maybe 4 inches long.  this is a picture from the beyerdynamic website (actually of the CK950, hypercardioid mic+remote cable+body instead of the CK930 cardioid, but the two mics are the same size and have the same mic body).

« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 04:51:15 PM by JasonSobel »

Offline Brian E.

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2009, 04:50:44 PM »
thanks again for all the input, will peruse some more.

I think, just to start, this is my grocery list:

CA-11's (already bought)
CA-14's (omni and cards)
CA-UBB (battery box)
CA 9100 (Amp)
Edirol R09-HR (already bought)

then from Sound Professionals I just ordered:

AT-MINI-CLIP X 2
SP-GNA-3 T-Bar 12"
SP-SHM-5 Shock Mount + SP-TMA-1 mic mount adapter
SP-MIC-CASE-2 (Large)
WT-CM-01 Camera Mount Adapter (for the Ediral and my Canon HF200)

AS-USB-FAN (for fun) :)

I have a light stand.  That's about it.

Once I get more settled into those, I'll probably start looking at some of the phantom powered stuff you guys posted.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 11:12:03 AM by Brian Emerick »

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • beep boop
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2009, 03:42:32 PM »

OK, I'll throw my hat in the ring. Slap on caps & you're good to go.  :turnevil:

In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline bhadella

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2009, 04:24:15 PM »

Schoeps CCM series
DPA 4021/4022/4023/etc
Schoeps mk caps > nbox
Schoeps mk caps > CMR

Add Schoeps MK caps > Sonosax SX-M2/LS2 (aka Lemosax) to the list.  And I vaguely recall the /LS2 will work with Neumann AK caps, too, but it's only a vague notion, and I don't know of anyone having used that setup.

Yes, add:

Neumann akxx capsules > Neumann LC3 cable >  Sonosax SX-M2/LS2
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2009, 11:59:48 AM »

the picture there doesn't show the mic body.  it's a "typical" size for a mic body, maybe 4 inches long.  this is a picture from the beyerdynamic website (actually of the CK950, hypercardioid mic+remote cable+body instead of the CK930 cardioid, but the two mics are the same size and have the same mic body).

Ahh, got it.  That does make sense.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.112 seconds with 57 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com