Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: HEB DPA4060 > CA-9200 > EDRIOL R09 came out distorted... help!  (Read 14289 times)

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: HEB DPA4060 > CA-9200 > EDRIOL R09 came out distorted... help!
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2011, 09:53:46 AM »
The 3.5 mm connector when you get the right one is very reliable and does not cause static issues with your recordings and does not get unplugged unless you tug at it. I dont want to argue but 2000 + preamps tell the whole story.

Exactly what he said.   I've used a right-angle 1/8" connector in the cable going from the battery box to my recording device for probably close to 10 years now (when I got back into the game after a 3-year hiatus) without issue.  When I had Chris build my 9100 and Ugly Battery Box, I asked for techflex on both with right angle connectors going to the deck (and a standard straight one from the preamp in the "standalone" 1/8" cable).  Zero issues (then again, I'm not pretending I'm Pete Townsend when I handle my gear, either).  :D

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2011, 11:55:36 AM »

First of all I never said my 3.5 mm connectors are better than a locking connector that would be moronic. What I did say is I use a quality connector that has a very low failure rate. And my connectors have EVERYTHING to do with my preamp sales. If they sucked I would never sell a preamp. I agree a locking connector is better but not the only way to connect audio. Companies like Sony, Roland, Teac ect agree, Until someone makes a cheap connector that is stereo that is the same size and locks it will always be a standard for small recording devices. Its all about size nobody makes a "affordable" locking connector that has the same size as a 3.5 mm jack NOBODY. Yeah I know about lemo I know about microdot ect... But again they are very expensive. If I my customers were willing to pay the difference I would love to use locking connectors but I cant justify $70 extra in parts for a lemo connector x 4 for my preamps. The 3.5 mm connector when you get the right one is very reliable and does not cause static issues with your recordings and does not get unplugged unless you tug at it. I dont want to argue but 2000 + preamps tell the whole story.

Mini-xlr or Binder connectors are both excellent alternatives and mini-xlr is very much affordable. Both Sound Devices and Schoeps prefer these and those are companies I would trust far more than Teac, Roland, etc. It's the whole "if everybody jumped of a bridge..." logic.

Also, at no point have I discussed the quality of 3.5mm connectors used (I am sure you use quality components), merely that the connector design as a whole is not great for what we do. Failure rates are indeed low; if assembled with the proper strain relief, there is little risk of developing a short and of course not having pins means nothing can get get accidentally bent. However, none of this minimizes the risk of operator error and they are easy to accidentally become unplugged. The argument put forth in this thread that "in 20 years it's never happened to me" is about as defensible as the 'pull-out' method of contraception. It's just a matter of time if you do not address the risk at a fundamental level.

Quality Mini-xlr components can be had for relatively cheap... ~$2.50 per jack or plug from the right sources. Knowing that, it's fine to offer 3.5mm as a cost-saving alternative, but I would never recommend a 3.5mm TRS w/o first recommending a high-quality locking type connector.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2011, 12:25:55 PM »

First of all I never said my 3.5 mm connectors are better than a locking connector that would be moronic. What I did say is I use a quality connector that has a very low failure rate. And my connectors have EVERYTHING to do with my preamp sales. If they sucked I would never sell a preamp. I agree a locking connector is better but not the only way to connect audio. Companies like Sony, Roland, Teac ect agree, Until someone makes a cheap connector that is stereo that is the same size and locks it will always be a standard for small recording devices. Its all about size nobody makes a "affordable" locking connector that has the same size as a 3.5 mm jack NOBODY. Yeah I know about lemo I know about microdot ect... But again they are very expensive. If I my customers were willing to pay the difference I would love to use locking connectors but I cant justify $70 extra in parts for a lemo connector x 4 for my preamps. The 3.5 mm connector when you get the right one is very reliable and does not cause static issues with your recordings and does not get unplugged unless you tug at it. I dont want to argue but 2000 + preamps tell the whole story.

Mini-xlr or Binder connectors are both excellent alternatives and mini-xlr is very much affordable. Both Sound Devices and Schoeps prefer these and those are companies I would trust far more than Teac, Roland, etc. It's the whole "if everybody jumped of a bridge..." logic.

Also, at no point have I discussed the quality of 3.5mm connectors used (I am sure you use quality components), merely that the connector design as a whole is not great for what we do. Failure rates are indeed low; if assembled with the proper strain relief, there is little risk of developing a short and of course not having pins means nothing can get get accidentally bent. However, none of this minimizes the risk of operator error and they are easy to accidentally become unplugged. The argument put forth in this thread that "in 20 years it's never happened to me" is about as defensible as the 'pull-out' method of contraception. It's just a matter of time if you do not address the risk at a fundamental level.

Quality Mini-xlr components can be had for relatively cheap... ~$2.50 per jack or plug from the right sources. Knowing that, it's fine to offer 3.5mm as a cost-saving alternative, but I would never recommend a 3.5mm TRS w/o first recommending a high-quality locking type connector.

Where can you get mini xlr connectors for $2.50 lol.... My cost and I am a switchcraft dealer is $8.50 a connector.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2011, 12:40:16 PM »
Where can you get mini xlr connectors for $2.50 lol.... My cost and I am a switchcraft dealer is $8.50 a connector.

I was going to ask the same as I need some and would love to save ~$5 a pop.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2011, 01:33:43 PM »
TA3F (in black too!!!) - $2.88
TA4F- $1.88
TA5F - $1.85

TB3M- $1.88
TB4M- $1.88

.... and on... and on...

You could even buy the all-black Redco mini-xlrs which are very good for $5. AFAIK, the quality on all of these is every bit as good as buying directly from Switchcraft. Our ts.com resident cable makers use them all the time with great success. I don't know if Jon is sourcing his from these eBay sellers as well, but I would imagine he is because the switchcraft prices are absolutely insane at an avg of $8-10 per unit.

I would gladly use any of these over a $1 3.5mm connector any day of the week.

edit: $1.88 lol!!!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 01:35:15 PM by hi and lo »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2011, 02:10:55 PM »
Thanks for the links, I'll check those out.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2011, 02:27:45 PM »
The real problem is the mini-xlr, like the 3.5mm, are large.  They're tiny to solder, but they are physically large due to the way the strain relief and cable termination is packaged.

I like the tiny pre-molded 90 degree plastic pigtails a lot.  I think AT makes/sell them.  You'll see them on a lot of battery boxes, etc.  The cable is attached.  The other option is hacking down a connector and potting it in epoxy or hot glue.  You do lose some shielding that way.

Most off the shelf 90 degree 3.5mm connectors are Big.

At least mini-xlr's keep finger grease and dirt off the connectors.

Binder makes some really nice connectors.  They're still a bit pricey. And they're not that small.

I love stubbie XLRs.  I haven't tried to make stubbie mini-XLRs YET.  But at the $1/each I'm paying, it's worth a shot.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2011, 02:37:07 PM »
The real problem is the mini-xlr, like the 3.5mm, are large.  They're tiny to solder, but they are physically large due to the way the strain relief and cable termination is packaged.

I like the tiny pre-molded 90 degree plastic pigtails a lot.  I think AT makes/sell them.  You'll see them on a lot of battery boxes, etc.  The cable is attached.  The other option is hacking down a connector and potting it in epoxy or hot glue.  You do lose some shielding that way.

Most off the shelf 90 degree 3.5mm connectors are Big.

At least mini-xlr's keep finger grease and dirt off the connectors.

Binder makes some really nice connectors.  They're still a bit pricey. And they're not that small.

I love stubbie XLRs.  I haven't tried to make stubbie mini-XLRs YET.  But at the $1/each I'm paying, it's worth a shot.

Holy crap that's cheap I just ordered a few samples.
Thank you sir.
Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2011, 02:43:57 PM »
I completely agree 11,

I wish someone made affordable, compact right angle mini-xlr plugs.

I like the tiny pre-molded 90 degree plastic pigtails a lot.  I think AT makes/sell them.  You'll see them on a lot of battery boxes, etc.  The cable is attached. 

Wait, are you talking about a premolded right angle mini-xlr there? I first assumed you were referring to 3.5mm TRS.  I buy those as premolded right-angle plugs with cable attached (or cut a stock molded plug cable in half) for a far more compact 3.5mm connector and reduced stress on the jack.  The Neutrik RA plugs stick out farther and the body and strain relief are much longer after the bend, putting a large lever-arm on the jack.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 02:47:09 PM by Gutbucket »

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2011, 02:55:36 PM »

The Neutrik RA plugs stick out farther and the body and strain relief are much longer after the bend, putting a large lever-arm on the jack.

I agree with this.. definitely the downside of an otherwise very nice connector.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2011, 03:34:19 PM »
I like the tiny pre-molded 90 degree plastic pigtails a lot.  I think AT makes/sell them.  You'll see them on a lot of battery boxes, etc.  The cable is attached. 

Wait, are you talking about a premolded right angle mini-xlr there? I first assumed you were referring to 3.5mm TRS.

Yep, that's what I'm talking about, 3.5mm trs.

Fwiw, I've placed a couple orders for mini-xlr's from this seller, rdana  His service has been really excellent and he'll ship by first class mail, etc.  Selection looks spotty right now, but you might ask if anyone is looking.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/rdana/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

Maybe we should start a cable thread ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.106 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com