Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: how to listen to 24/48 properly?  (Read 7436 times)

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Return of the Shredi
Re: how to listen to 24/48 properly?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 03:31:09 PM »
Here's a related question: can you get some kind of wireless interface that won't kill the benefits of playing high resolution files? My setup right now involves a lappy on the coffee table, added shelf underneath for UA-5, optical cable from lappy to UA-5, RCA to stereo across the room (20' of cable). I feel like that cable run is killing any benefits but I want to keep the laptop on the table and the stereo over there. Also looking at a new receiver with optical in and a long optical cable.
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 04:12:05 PM »
I'm not sure what all the options are, but a Slim Devices Squeezebox plays 24/48 flacs natively (along with many other audio formats) and they generally have very good on-board D/A conversion. They allow you to wirelessly stream 24/48 over your home network, for playback at your stereo.  I've got both a Squeezebox Ver 2 and a Squeezebox Duet. 

They are discontinued now, but if you keep an eye out, you can get one (Ver 2, Ver 3, Classic, Duet) for under $100, maybe even $50-65 or so shipped.  Don't get the older Ver 1, and I'm not sure about the Squeezebox Touch or other models, but the ones I have listed should work fine. 

You also can get an app to control them from your iPhone/iPad and I imagine that Droid's would have a similar app.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline db

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • i do not have a personal statement
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 07:20:25 PM »
as for recordings made via 3.5mm stereo inputs; they're not all equal. i'm guessing that what's used in a decent recorder is way better than the garbage that is stuck into an macbook or dell machine... where the audio-out is an afterthought rather than an integral part of the machine. but, there's only one way to know; crank it up with no signal and listen to what happens.

There's some truth to this. My computer's (Lenovo T400) minijack output is simply awful with TONS of self noise.

my macbook isn't sterling. The single best thing I did to improve my computer audio was invest in a decent DAC.

yeah, i found my friend a maudio fw410 for cheap on cl. was noticeably better than her crapple headphone out... she's just spitting out mp3s too.
db

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 11:29:18 PM »
Laptop minijack output quality varies wildly IME.  The Dell I'm typing this on is terrible.  The old Compaq it replaced was amazingly good.  Not as good as USB(S/PDIF) > quality DAC, but good enough for serious listening and mixing decisions, on-par with the direct output from my recorders.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 03:29:45 AM »
Here's a related question: can you get some kind of wireless interface that won't kill the benefits of playing high resolution files? My setup right now involves a lappy on the coffee table, added shelf underneath for UA-5, optical cable from lappy to UA-5, RCA to stereo across the room (20' of cable). I feel like that cable run is killing any benefits but I want to keep the laptop on the table and the stereo over there. Also looking at a new receiver with optical in and a long optical cable.

Audioengine D2. It has received great reviews and supposedly sounds the same as the highly regarded Audioengine D1. USB and Toslink inputs on one unit and a wireless receiver with RCA and Toslink outputs.

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-D2
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline eman

• Return of the Shredi
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 11:30:33 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions. Then I can eliminate the UA-5 and also use my phone with 30 gig card. My Droid came with a FLAC player- nice. I think this is one of the best answers for the original poster as well. 

Also, for the OP, a good sativa and a comfy chair also make for a better "high" def listening experience :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 12:30:36 PM by eman »
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline db

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • i do not have a personal statement
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2013, 02:30:16 PM »

see if you can do a blind test with 2 different lengths. there's someone in the world who loves you enough to assist.
db

Offline eman

• Return of the Shredi
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2013, 06:20:30 PM »
Good to know. Now to the Dither Noise Store (hope they have free samples!)

Offline eman

• Return of the Shredi
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2013, 10:28:05 AM »
Got outbid on a Squeezebox Duet at $160. Were there any ts-ers in on the bidding?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com