Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Taping an outdoor concert  (Read 10587 times)

Offline pridix

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Ground control to Major Tom
Taping an outdoor concert
« on: May 19, 2012, 07:26:59 AM »
Hi!

Tomorrow night I'm going to tape Coldplay. This is gonna be my first long and real tape. The venue is the Estadio Vicente Calderón de Madrid and I'm going to be standing, more or less 30meters away from the stage and (I hope) in the center (see the red dot in the pic for more details). I'm going to tape with my Tascam DR40 + PFA and I can use AT853 (I have cards, hypercards, omnis and UE-C) or MM-HSLO (4,7k mod). I think I should use AT cards there (AT853-H or UE-C). Am I right? Also no bass roll off, should I?

Thank you.
It's not a secret at all, Achtung ya'll

Mics: MM-HSLO (4,7k mod) , AT853(853-O, 853-H, 853-C, UE-C)
Cables: Naiant PFA, Hosa ATT-448
Recorders: Tascam DR-40
Playing Stuff: Onkyo (TX7630 & TX18), Magnat System 400, Tannoy Mercury M2, Mission M35

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
Re: Taping an outdoor concert
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 10:49:12 AM »
I'm the wrong person to ask which mics to use, I'll always say omnis  ;D  But having said that, your red dot looks like a good starting point. One rule of thumb is the triangle theory where you would stand at the third corner of an equilateral triangle with the stacks as the other 2 corners. The dot looks close to that. During the opener, I would move forward and back to listen for the sweet spot. Happy taping!
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline pridix

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 10:56:59 AM »
Thank you so much for the info! I'll try to find the sweet spot. Anyway...I don't want to tape the crowd chatting close to me...so omnis...I don't know. That's why I'm asking :D

Playing Stuff: Onkyo (TX7630 & TX18), Magnat System 400, Tannoy Mercury M2, Mission M35

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 11:07:24 AM »
Thank you so much for the info! I'll try to find the sweet spot. Anyway...I don't want to tape the crowd chatting close to me...so omnis...I don't know. That's why I'm asking :D

If the crowd is rowdy, cards will still hear the ones in front of you. To me, I'd rather have a little extra freedom to move (including your head), and omnis are much more forgiving in this regard. If you get the mics up on your head, hat mounted or on glasses, you should be able to make a decent tape with any of your gear from up front, well except the hypers, I'd definitely leave them at home. If you're worried about crowd noise, then maybe consider stack taping.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
GAKables
Dead Muppets

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 11:16:52 AM »

If the crowd is rowdy, cards will still hear the ones in front of you. To me, I'd rather have a little extra freedom to move (including your head), and omnis are much more forgiving in this regard. If you get the mics up on your head, hat mounted or on glasses, you should be able to make a decent tape with any of your gear from up front, well except the hypers, I'd definitely leave them at home. If you're worried about crowd noise, then maybe consider stack taping.

I'd second this as good advice, but I wouldn't think Coldplay would have an exceptionally loud & rowdy audience.
Maybe, based on your proximity to the front of the stage, i"d go with the omni's because this band isn't really known to be too drum/bass heavy also. I can't say that I know this for fact, I'm just reasoning here. I've never seen Coldplay live, only live on tv or video.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 11:35:54 AM by Myco »
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline pridix

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 11:22:42 AM »

I'd second this as good advice, but I wouldn't think Coldplay would have an exceptionally loud & rowdy audience.
Maybe, based on your proximity to the front of the stage, i"d go with the omni's because this band isn't really known to be too drum/heavy also. I can't say that I know this for fact, I'm just reasoning here. I've never seen Coldplay live, only live on tv or video.

Ok, than you guys! I'll leave the hypers at home then. I'll go both with omnis and UE-C and I'll do some tests during the opening show. I'll have them baseball cap mounted just above my ears in the place between the ears and the face.

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 11:37:21 AM »

Maybe, based on your proximity to the front of the stage, i"d go with the omni's because this band isn't really known to be too drum/heavy also. I can't say that I know this for fact, I'm just reasoning here. I've never seen Coldplay live, only live on tv or video.

Ok, than you guys! I'll leave the hypers at home then. I'll go both with omnis and UE-C and I'll do some tests during the opening show. I'll have them baseball cap mounted just above my ears in the place between the ears and the face.

No problem. We'd be interested to see how it turns out for you.  :)
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline pridix

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 11:40:08 AM »

No problem. We'd be interested to see how it turns out for you.  :)
[/quote]

I'll leave feedback as soon as I come back from the concert :D And I'll post a link if someone want it hehe.

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 01:15:47 PM »
You're welcome! And your plan to move around and try things during the opener is spot on. Good luck!
GAKables
Dead Muppets

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 02:00:40 PM »
Just be mindful of wind. (I just taped Los Lobos out doors at a golf resort in Nipomo, CA and it was in a wind tunnel! It would have been much better of a recording except for the wind.)

I have used omnis and cardioids. It all depends on the crowd around you. The omnis pick up noise all all around, but are much more forgiving if you have to turn your head.

Good luck!

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 02:35:13 PM »
More or less what's already been said.

Omnis, windscreens if you can (just in case).   Cardioid mics are NOT forgiving when it comes to wind so if it's a windy (or even "breezy" day), I'd go with the omnis.  I also prefer the way omnis sound outdoors to cards (and this has been several times between the CA-14 omnis and DPA 4061s compared to the CA-14 cards and AKG 481/3's.

Offline pridix

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 02:47:05 PM »
More or less what's already been said.

Omnis, windscreens if you can (just in case).   Cardioid mics are NOT forgiving when it comes to wind so if it's a windy (or even "breezy" day), I'd go with the omnis.  I also prefer the way omnis sound outdoors to cards (and this has been several times between the CA-14 omnis and DPA 4061s compared to the CA-14 cards and AKG 481/3's.

It's a pity I can't run them both haha. I have windscreens but it's more stealth if I don't use them. In that case I MUST use Omnis. Okay. Thank you guys! I'll let you know as soon as I do the backup of the concert to my pc!

Offline pridix

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 03:11:19 PM »
Is there any trick to avoid claps in the recording? I have a few concerts taped with MM-HSLO and I love the sound even with the background chatting noise but...CLAPS are horrible.

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 10:57:49 PM »
Is there any trick to avoid claps in the recording? I have a few concerts taped with MM-HSLO and I love the sound even with the background chatting noise but...CLAPS are horrible.
I just live with it -- lets me relive what I originally heard.  However, you can go through the wave file while working on it in post and drop the levels on the claps individually.  It's a bit of work.   I know some people apply filters and what-not but I refuse to do it that way.  Call me old school...

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 11:45:54 PM »
My wife wants to hear your tape!

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com