Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Taping an outdoor concert  (Read 10590 times)

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
Re: Taping an outdoor concert
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2012, 02:27:27 PM »
Is there any trick to avoid claps in the recording? I have a few concerts taped with MM-HSLO and I love the sound even with the background chatting noise but...CLAPS are horrible.

stun guns and other non supported methods  ;D.  I usually try and make friends with a few folks around me using bribery.  Its definitely hit or miss though.  If successful you will be surrounded by 4 or 5 people who want your recording more than you.

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2012, 02:28:59 PM »
Definitely hit or miss.  ???

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2012, 04:47:52 PM »
Definitely hit or miss.  ???

Yep.  Roger Waters was sort of a miss but my Clapton Winwood from Antwerp was perfect.  I had a few crew around me and it helped.

Offline pridix

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Ground control to Major Tom
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 05:54:04 AM »
Hi again guys!

Two terrible things screwed out my tape. First of all, after setting all the gear in my body, with all the cables hidden and the mics perfectly set in my CAP...started to RAIN CATS AND DOGs and also to hail. I tried to keep my gear on but it was so fucking heavy so I was scary about my gear and I had to keep my gear in my pockets. The second problem is...I don't know how (newbie in here) my mics (both omnis an cards) raise the peak level most of the time...with the gain set to 0...Do I have a BIG problem? Should I buy -20dB pads?.

Thank you. I'm fucking sad but I know that taping is patience and experience so...no problem I'll try again and again...

PS: Also I want to know how you tape when it rains VERY VERY heavy.
It's not a secret at all, Achtung ya'll

Mics: MM-HSLO (4,7k mod) , AT853(853-O, 853-H, 853-C, UE-C)
Cables: Naiant PFA, Hosa ATT-448
Recorders: Tascam DR-40
Playing Stuff: Onkyo (TX7630 & TX18), Magnat System 400, Tannoy Mercury M2, Mission M35

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 08:22:02 AM »
Hi again guys!

Two terrible things screwed out my tape. First of all, after setting all the gear in my body, with all the cables hidden and the mics perfectly set in my CAP...started to RAIN CATS AND DOGs and also to hail. I tried to keep my gear on but it was so fucking heavy so I was scary about my gear and I had to keep my gear in my pockets. The second problem is...I don't know how (newbie in here) my mics (both omnis an cards) raise the peak level most of the time...with the gain set to 0...Do I have a BIG problem? Should I buy -20dB pads?.

Thank you. I'm fucking sad but I know that taping is patience and experience so...no problem I'll try again and again...

That's really too bad, but keep at it, we all have those types of shows. Quite often actually. Tough to say what exactly caused your varying levels, but the moisture may have had something to do with it.

If you ever do find an answer to your last question, I do hope you share it with the rest of us, because I've never found a way to tape in very, very heavy rain.  ;D
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2012, 10:20:47 AM »
Hi again guys!

That's really too bad, but keep at it, we all have those types of shows. Quite often actually. Tough to say what exactly caused your varying levels, but the moisture may have had something to do with it.

If you ever do find an answer to your last question, I do hope you share it with the rest of us, because I've never found a way to tape in very, very heavy rain.  ;D

With a stand, if you aren't too worried about your mics, a stand umbrella will do the trick.

The only time I was semi-"stealthing" (it was a stealth w/o guilt type thing) and I didn't have an umbrella, I threw my friend's fairly thin shirt over my head and the mics to make a sort of "hood".  It actually worked out OK, but not something I'd do again if I could avoid it.

Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2012, 10:30:40 AM »
In a  >:D  situation where you absolutely have to tape in the rain, you could cover the mics with small plastic bags. You'll probably lose some dynamic range, but the mics will be protected.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2012, 11:00:06 AM »
I've never done it, but some people say condoms work well...and if you're young and single they're probably always handy as well.  ;)

Sorry about your first experience.  It's always frustrating to have things happen that ruin a recordings. 

If it's any consolation, you're not alone.  Most of us were unsuccessful the first time out.  Actually, most of us have had many failures before we learned all of the things NOT to do.  It comes with the hobby and as you gain experience. you get better and better at making sure those things are taken care of ahead of time.  Even though the weather was not in your control, we usually make the mistakes first and learn from them instead of anticipating and avoiding the mistakes in the first place.

That said, in my experience, there's really not alot that you can do to save a recording from really heavy rain.  Light rain is no problem, but when it starts downpouring, I usually just pack it in even if I do have umbrellas, rain fly's etc. 

Offline pridix

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2012, 12:58:47 PM »
Thank you to all of you! I feel like home in this forum hahaha. I'll keep learning and getting experience. It's just one battle the one I loss but I will win the WAR (after many years I think hahaha).

Thank you again.

PS: I'll try the condoms or plasticbag but...¿I have to do a little hole in the bag/condom in the point where the mics end (in the capsule) or are the condoms "transparent"?

Playing Stuff: Onkyo (TX7630 & TX18), Magnat System 400, Tannoy Mercury M2, Mission M35

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2012, 01:24:04 PM »
use large finger cots (for normal sized SDC) or small finger cots for small electret mics.

The cots stretch over the capsule making the rubber thin and acoustically transparent.  I've done some home testing and they really don't change the sound. 
Since they stretch tight they stay on really well too... 

Umbrellas work well too...  put a small towel on top of the unbrella to muffle the rain drops.  You can also stretch panty hose down over the umbrella and tie it off on the stand.  This will keep the umbrella from blowing inside out in heavy wind (and hold your towel in place)...  The little small umbrellas for golf bags work really well.... 
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline pridix

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2012, 02:05:53 PM »
Thank you so much for all the information!  :D

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2012, 02:29:50 PM »
Sorry that it 'rained on your parade.'  :( There's really not much you can do when the elements turn nasty like that. Rotten luck.

Offline pridix

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2012, 04:37:41 PM »
Thank you to all of you guys!

One more question...Any clue why my DR40 was rising the peak level all the time with my external mics (while gain set to 0) and didn't the internals... I didn't think AT where SO sensible. Should I have to buy -20dB pad? Are they selling them?

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Return of the Shredi
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2012, 04:46:49 PM »
Something to check- when this happens to me I usually have the source on my recorder accidentally set to "internal mic". Make sure it is set to "line in" and not "mic" or "internal mic". I think you said you have an external preamp, so going into "mic in" will overload the recorder's preamp. It will be bypassed using the "line in" setting. I am sorry if this is obvious to you already but I continue to make beginner mistakes like this from time to time.
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline pridix

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2012, 04:59:04 PM »
Something to check- when this happens to me I usually have the source on my recorder accidentally set to "internal mic". Make sure it is set to "line in" and not "mic" or "internal mic". I think you said you have an external preamp, so going into "mic in" will overload the recorder's preamp. It will be bypassed using the "line in" setting. I am sorry if this is obvious to you already but I continue to make beginner mistakes like this from time to time.

Thank you but I'm not running a preamp. I'm using phantom. So..when I say gain to 0 I mean, input level to 0 in the DR40...:S It's kinda strange...I think

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com