Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Taping an outdoor concert  (Read 10591 times)

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Return of the Shredi
Re: Taping an outdoor concert
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2012, 06:15:28 PM »
I'm not familiar with the DR-40 or the PFA, just saying you want to check settings. You should have been able to test this at home before taking it out to a concert- if it brick walls at 0 then it will brick wall when you record your home stereo. The 853's need to be supplied with the correct voltage, and if you brick walling your mic in, you at least need to try setting it to line in or plugging into line in instead. Either the mics are getting too much voltage or the recorder is. The reason you can get brickwalling at 0 is that the adjustment happens after the signal has already passed through some circuitry that can not handle the signal. I can't say exactly what it is but you need to try something different obviously, or perhaps you have toasted your 853's with too high a phantom voltage. Have you ever made this rig run correctly?
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2012, 07:55:20 PM »
What do you 853's terminate in? Just a 1/8" miniplug, or a xlr with a power module like the AT8533x?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 07:59:05 PM by Myco »
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline pridix

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Ground control to Major Tom
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2012, 08:02:37 AM »
I'm using At853 (minijack end) with Naiant PFA. I tried them at home with my stereo but with another pair of caps and the didn't raise the peak level at 0, not at all... I have to give them 30 more or less with LOUD music. Also in the TASCAM DR40 is just one posible selection to record through XLR with Phantom called MIC+Phantom that is what I used. I'm going to try at home now with the same caps that I used in the concert...
It's not a secret at all, Achtung ya'll

Mics: MM-HSLO (4,7k mod) , AT853(853-O, 853-H, 853-C, UE-C)
Cables: Naiant PFA, Hosa ATT-448
Recorders: Tascam DR-40
Playing Stuff: Onkyo (TX7630 & TX18), Magnat System 400, Tannoy Mercury M2, Mission M35

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Return of the Shredi
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2012, 11:09:06 AM »
Well, that looks about right. I'd still go through all of the settings and switches. Maybe you have a switch or setting to add attenuation to the input, or an input boost option that needs to be turned off.
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline pridix

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Ground control to Major Tom
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2012, 11:54:15 AM »
I'm trying to find it! Thank you both for your help.
It's not a secret at all, Achtung ya'll

Mics: MM-HSLO (4,7k mod) , AT853(853-O, 853-H, 853-C, UE-C)
Cables: Naiant PFA, Hosa ATT-448
Recorders: Tascam DR-40
Playing Stuff: Onkyo (TX7630 & TX18), Magnat System 400, Tannoy Mercury M2, Mission M35

Offline MLKLuke

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • going going...but never GONE!
    • MLK Audio
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2012, 09:04:58 AM »
Is there any trick to avoid claps in the recording? I have a few concerts taped with MM-HSLO and I love the sound even with the background chatting noise but...CLAPS are horrible.
Adobe Audition "Auto-Heal" function works great to cure loud clapping. it's a hard and boring work if you've got a lot of them cause you have to find them and cure them one by one but it can really help
MLK - Luke
Mics: Schoeps MK4+Nbob Actives / AT853 (H,C,SC) / DPA 4061
Power: Tinybox v2.5 / 3-Wire BBox / CA-9200 3W / CA-UBB
Recorders: R05 / R09HR / Pocketrak C24 / Tascam DR2D
My Recordings

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2012, 12:47:12 PM »
Is there any trick to avoid claps in the recording? I have a few concerts taped with MM-HSLO and I love the sound even with the background chatting noise but...CLAPS are horrible.
Adobe Audition "Auto-Heal" function works great to cure loud clapping. it's a hard and boring work if you've got a lot of them cause you have to find them and cure them one by one but it can really help

I haven't had to tape in the rain, but I've had several less than perfect outings as most new tapers do. While disappointing I always learn something. For a long time I sat on the sidelines thinking about recording but worrying about all the pitfalls rather than just diving in and pushing forward. Now I'm in the deep end and loving it!

Being new, I'm thinking I need to look into this "Auto-Heal" capability to see if I can fix some things I wasn't so good at manually in Sound Forge. For example, I learned the hard way that while it's not so obtrusive to move the levels on the recorder a bit during a show if you have to, switching the gain level on a preamp leaves an ugly pop. Fixing that without cutting out the section is tough.

Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com