Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Why 24/48?  (Read 11392 times)

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • ImageLume Photography
Why 24/48?
« on: July 20, 2012, 10:48:02 AM »
It seems to me that a lot of people choose to tape at 24bit/48kHz sample rate.  I don't really understand why?  I totally get the higher bit depth and understand the value of the additional headroom, but the 48k sample rate makes no sense to me, unless there is no plan to ever dither the recording to 44.1 for "standard" playback.  I would think from an audio quality perspective you would be better off running 24/44.1 or 24/88.2 so that the resulting file is a more simple dither and relies less on an algorithm that will require interpolation of the actual wave form to take a odd re-sampling of the sample rate and to the final format.  I suppose if you are using a PC for playback and want to play back the 24/48 recording then that might be a argument to be made for the higher 48k sample rate, otherwise it seems to me to be a loose/loose (larger file size & lower end quality) decision. 

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Why 24/48?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 10:59:31 AM »
I would think from an audio quality perspective you would be better off running 24/44.1 or 24/88.2 so that the resulting file is a more simple dither and relies less on an algorithm that will require interpolation of the actual wave form to take a odd re-sampling of the sample rate and to the final format. 

I think a lot of tapers aren't targeting CD as the final product anymore.
So the highest practical resolution is used. Going to the higher (88/96) sample rates will just fill up your hard drive and make file processing take longer.

And - I think "simple math" thing has been debunked somewhere here before...

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 11:01:53 AM »
I would think from an audio quality perspective you would be better off running 24/44.1 or 24/88.2 so that the resulting file is a more simple dither and relies less on an algorithm that will require interpolation of the actual wave form to take a odd re-sampling of the sample rate and to the final format. 

I think a lot of tapers aren't targeting CD as the final product anymore.
So the highest practical resolution is used. Going to the higher (88/96) sample rates will just fill up your hard drive and make file processing take longer.

And - I think "simple math" thing has been debunked somewhere here before...

yeah, "simple math" has been debunked.

The original reasoning that I heard was to extend the hardware aliasing rolloff further up and then do a software resample later which (if you have a good SSRC) has better control of that top end (>20khz). I'm not sure modern gear has that problem, so it may now be for DVD-style archiving or stuff of that nature.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 11:26:20 AM »
I've been recording at 24/44.1 for years for that exact reason, but oddly enough, for just the past few shows I've been recording at 24/48. 

For my own listening, for quite some time now it has been mp3's on an ipod/iphone/ipad for car and on-the-go listening, 24 bit listening on my computer (I have a pretty good computer playback system), or 24 bit listening via a Squeezebox (which does 24/48 natively) for my main playback system.

Given that I have no need for 44.1k sampling, I've just started recording at 48k, somewhat as an experiment to see if I'm ok adding in the additional 48>44 processing step for those who want CDR listening.  That mainly as a time and workflow issue, not a sound quality issue.  I guess what I really should do is start sharing my 24bit filesets along with the 16bit filesets for those who care for the highest quality. 

Frankly, I seem to be in the very small minority who feel that 16bit flacs are actually lossy versions of my recordings, not lossless (um, I threw out 33% of the information, how is that lossless?).  In that vein, I've somewhat stopped worrying about having the best quality for 16bit filesets.  As an example, I picked up Wave Editor which has Ozone's MBit+ dither algo which I find to be excellent.  But I never dug WE as my editor, so for a while I tried editing in Amadeus, then loading the 24bit file into WE for MBit dithering.  I found I just wasn't motivated for the extra time, so now I just dither with the free mda dither plugin available in Amadeus.

I have no idea how good that dither routine is, and really don't know whether a 320kbs mp3 made directly from a 24/48 fileset sounds better than a 16/44.1 flac fileset that has been dithered down with the probably pretty crappy mda dither routine and then re-sampled to 44.1 with the basic resampler in Amadeus.  I have no doubt I could do a better job putting together a 16/44 fileset if I used only the best dither routines and re-sampling programs, but at that point, isn't it easier and better to just provide the original 24/48 fileset to those who care about the quality?

No offense intended to those who want quality but are limited to 16bit listening.  Then again, it is getting pretty easy to do 24bit listening these days, perhaps time to upgrade to 24bit if you are in that camp.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 12:01:12 PM »
i haven't mastered anything to 16/44.1 in a long time.

24/48 strikes a nice balance of quality and file size
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline phanophish

• ImageLume Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 12:05:43 PM »
Interesting to know the "simple math" re-sample thing is sort of a moot point, anyone have links to those discussions?  I suppose then it all boils down the to quality of the re-sample algorithm which is probably much more subjective and I can only imagine could be a pretty extensive debate. 

I pretty much agree with where you are regarding playback Todd.  I'd say I really have 2 forms of playback.  Direct from my native FLAC files on a quality playback system where I think quality really does matter (and could see the argument for 24/48) and in my car on the go.  If I am listening in my car it is MP3 playback and quality is less of an issue.  MP3 is good enough.  I'm kind of overall wondering if 16/44.1 playback is even worth targeting/considering any more.  I'm inclined to say yes because of the ubiquity of CD players in vehicles and everyone familiarity/ability to rip to the mobile device of their choice from CD, I usually just burn a CD for anyone except fellow tapers.  Trying to explain FLAC playback etc is just not worth it.  Sounds like a lot of people are taking the 24/48 to reach the best Quality/filesize balance, MP3 for casual listening, and I'll dump out 16/44.1 at a whatever quality happens by accident for the 16bit limited folks who probably don't know the difference anyway.

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 12:15:57 PM »
Video. 48K is a standard for DVD and HD video.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 12:22:10 PM »
i haven't mastered anything to 16/44.1 in a long time.

24/48 strikes a nice balance of quality and file size

I'm the same, I stopped making 16bit files about 2 months ago, and I'm never turning back. Well, except when the band wants a CD. For me, there were 2 major reasons for this: 1) as tapers we serve a purpose as historians, the highest quality files are the ones that should be archived. 2) I listen to 24/48 flacs and think they sound better that way so it's how I prefer folks to listen to them. Not to mention that it does seem to fend off the reposters a bit. My friends that are serious music fans have all learned how to play back my files, and a couple are OK with making mp3s for themselves with xACT etc.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline seanay

• Taperssection Regular
    • Archive Recordings
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 01:21:05 PM »
Maybe I'm just hearing things, but when I listen to 24/48files (what I record to, typically) and convert them to 16/44.1, the files sound distorted.  I've noticed that I don't have that problem when I downsample to 16/48, though, so I go with 24/48 first and foremost and go from there.  I usually upload to LMA & etree at 16/48, as well.

Obviously, there's no problem listening on my home speakers, which are connected to my computer, but now with the ability to play FLAC on the Winamp Pro app on my Android ($4.99 to be able to listen to FLAC in my car is a super deal, IMO), I don't see much reason to have ANYTHING ready for CD playback.
"Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us."

- Jerry Garcia

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 02:33:32 PM »
Maybe I'm just hearing things, but when I listen to 24/48files (what I record to, typically) and convert them to 16/44.1, the files sound distorted.  I've noticed that I don't have that problem when I downsample to 16/48, though, so I go with 24/48 first and foremost and go from there.  I usually upload to LMA & etree at 16/48, as well.

that sounds like a conversion or resampling error (or a bad SSRC). Also, make sure you don't amplify audio all the way up to 0dbfs and then run it through the converter, that could yield clipping as well. Another possibility I've seen is where computers receive audio in any sample rate, but pipe out a specified rate and do the conversion on the fly. Food for thought.

Well, except when the band wants a CD.

There is the big hitch preventing me from dropping redbook audio compliant files. It used to be a two-fer with bandwidth; I've never uploaded 24 bit files because they are huge for the bandwidth I have and there is almost zero ROI for me to go for the bigger file size. Now that I don't seed much stuff, it's just the band copies. I have one band that I need to send over the original pre-processing 24bit wavs for, but everyone else (including some members of that band) wants redbook compliant cd audio if they even want that. Some are content wtih V0 mp3s.  :P Last, when recording a PA, the noise floor in the room is higher than any of the equipment I use, and when I'm recording an onstage production in a quiet room, I'm applying compression just about every single time when I polish it. If bands just wanted mp3s, I'd consider dropping the dither only because it would shave a few minutes of processing time off of the render function, but thats the only reason I can come up with.

So because I'm generally targeting 16bit already, generating a 24bit set (which is just greater dynamic range) for my own personal listening is sort of pointless. It's important to record in 24bit because of the additional dynamic range that I encounter during onstage recordings (before all of that hits the sound guy's compressor), but for listening I didn't get a benefit.

I don't listen to music loud (period) and generally try to take care of my hearing.  I get my hearing tested professionally every other year or so and wear a minimum of -25db plugs to anything remotely loud (and -30 plugs to some shows). I'm just under 30, and I can't hear above 17khz, so 44.1 as a sample rate is very sufficient.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 07:50:28 PM »
Strongly recommend that folks get up to speed on foobar2000 -- It allows for the use of a variety of resampling/dithering options including a nice implementation of SOX -- I load my native 24 bit flacs (I record at 96 k) that I've already tracked and tagged into foobar2000 and use the appropriate conversion preset to create 16bit 44.1 files or 320kb 48k mp3s in a temporary directory of my choice.  Takes my older quad core computer only a few minutes to convert and save in either of these formats with the metadata tags intact.  This lets me process everything in its native resolution and quickly "dumb down" on demand whenever needed for my iphone or a cd.

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 01:13:33 AM »
Video. 48K is a standard for DVD and HD video.
exactly DVD's are usually mastered in 24/48
it works well
I only do conversions since many still want them, and use sample manager
however I also like a final 16/44.1 for my rockbox'd iPod to listen to in the car...
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 07:58:34 AM »
24/48 is the audio for video standard - I would not record that way for CD.

For CD I record 24/88.2 and dither down to 16/44.1 after mastering.

On a small portable recorder with internal mics I record at 24/44.1

Offline TimSmith

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 02:42:27 PM »
----------
----------

Few times I used 16/44 sound for HD video in mkv. Works fine. Is something wrong with this?
I know, I know.... My english...

CA-14 (card or omni) -> CA-UGLY-BB or CA-9200 -> Sony PCM-M10

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2012, 04:49:00 PM »
----------
----------

Few times I used 16/44 sound for HD video in mkv. Works fine. Is something wrong with this?

nope, for digital files there is a ton of leeway. John's referencing hard media like dvds.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com