Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: getting into recorded  (Read 11285 times)

Offline mgleason007

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
Re:getting into recorded
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2004, 03:32:59 PM »
To actually ADD something to this thread, I'd actually look to get a relatively cheap analog preamp.  You should be able to stay within budget.  I think you'll find it MUCH MUCH cleaner than using the mic preamp in the JB3.  The A/D in the JB3 isn't nearly as bad as the mic pre circuit.

It's a lot of boxes: mics->batt box->analog pre->JB3.  Not terrible, though.  I ran this for a bit, and really didn't think it was that bad. Walked away with some good tapes while I was at it, too.

J

I'm confused.  I thought the whole point of a batt box was to bring the signal up to line level so you could go line in.
Mike

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2004, 03:36:06 PM »
ok I did the rundown on the NJB3. and at least for Coachella it doesn't fit the bill. says i get about 3 hours recording time and theres likely close to 8 hours of stuff there i'm looking to record. alternate suggestion?

also I've been looking at the pre-amps at soundpros site...which would someone recomend?

hi;
if you're looking at Soundpro.com, you should reeeeeealy consider their stereo cardiod mics:  CMC-2 (usus AT831 cardioid capsules) or CMC-4 (uses AT853 capsules). i think they are around $150 for a pair. add a SP preamp and you're good to go.

marc

ps. forget the Squid, unless it's beer battered and fried.  
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline BklynBagel

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2004, 03:45:29 PM »
ok I did the rundown on the NJB3. and at least for Coachella it doesn't fit the bill. says i get about 3 hours recording time and theres likely close to 8 hours of stuff there i'm looking to record. alternate suggestion?

also I've been looking at the pre-amps at soundpros site...which would someone recomend?

hi;
if you're looking at Soundpro.com, you should reeeeeealy consider their stereo cardiod mics:  CMC-2 (usus AT831 cardioid capsules) or CMC-4 (uses AT853 capsules). i think they are around $150 for a pair. add a SP preamp and you're good to go.

marc

ps. forget the Squid, unless it's beer battered and fried.  

sounds good! which pre-amp should i go with?

Gleason- talking about capacity on its HD not battery time

I'm figuring theres about 8 acts I'm looking to tape over the 2 days..wouldn't be too big of an ordeal to say have an MD ready and 4 on hand for the day...but I think I'm gonna lean to the NBJ3...i should be able to tape 2-3 GOOD bands and that would be nothing to shabby to walk away with

oh can anyone think of a case to house that monster?

Offline BklynBagel

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2004, 03:49:24 PM »
just curious what GB size people here use of the NJB3

Offline drumminj

• Taperssection Member
    • my photos
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2004, 03:53:49 PM »
I'm confused.  I thought the whole point of a batt box was to bring the signal up to line level so you could go line in.

Nope, batt box itself is responsible for powering the mics.  Now, sound pros and others make batt boxes with built-in preamps and bass rolloff, but the typical battery box is simply providing 9V or something similar to your mics.  You need a preamp to actually raise the level. Powering the mics just lowers the noise floor and allows greater SPL-handling.

J

Offline BklynBagel

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2004, 03:55:51 PM »
Skalinders JB3 guide;
http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=14;action=display;threadid=16338
thanks Moke!
i read through it, and unless I'm an idiot(which is possible) it doesn't tell you along any lines what HD will give you how much time..BUT it did say 3 hours PER recording. so i can record one band, and start a new one

jimmc

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2004, 04:09:20 PM »
As far as NJB3 capacity goes, figure it this way:  An 80 min CD is 700 megabytes.  A 20gig JB3 will hold approx the same as amout of data as 28.5 80 min cds.  You will have plenty of room on the 20gig JB3.  Plus, you could aways buy the 40gig to double your capacity.
Jim
I have both a MD and JB3, and now my MD is strictly for backup.  sometimes I dont even bother to bring it with me.  JB3 should be perfect for you.  Buy the 3 batteries total (it comes with 1) and swap 1 of them out after about 5 hours and you should be fine.  I just recorded 2-1/2 hours of ABB, then 2 hours of Deep Fried in the same night recording .wav @48 with no problem.
+T for getting started. :)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2004, 04:11:03 PM by jimmc »

Offline mgleason007

• Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2004, 04:22:50 PM »
An 80 min CD is 700 megabytes.

This is actually incorrect.  An 80 min CD can hold MUCH more than 700 MB's worth of wav's (burned as an audio CD).  I don't know off-hand but it's more than 800 MB's.  Point being that 700 MB's of wav's is less than 80 mins.  I'm too lazy to figure it out right now, but I know it's quite a bit less.

Yes, it's 3 hours per recording session, definitely not total.  If you need to quickly advance to another recording just press the forward button.  The 20 GB hard drive will hold about 33 hours for you, I think.  I calculated it before and I think I remember it coming out to 11 hours per day for a three day festival.  If you dig further into the archive section there's a post with how many MB/min PCM audio takes up.  It's not hard to figure out that the JB3 will hold a lot more than 8 hours.
Mike

Offline mgleason007

• Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2004, 04:26:17 PM »
Well I'll just type it out...

2 channels X 16 bits/sample X 44100 samples/second X 1 byte/8 bits X 1KB/1024 bytes X 1 MB/1024 KB X 60 s/1 min= 10.1 MB/min.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2004, 04:28:59 PM by mgleason007 »
Mike

jimmc

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2004, 04:30:21 PM »
If I was wrong, sorry, I had an 80min CDR in front of me that says it is a 700mb capacity.  Thats were I did my math from.  Either way, you will be able to fit all that you need on the JB3.
Jim - Bad at math

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2004, 04:36:15 PM »
i read through it, and unless I'm an idiot(which is possible) it doesn't tell you along any lines what HD will give you how much time.

True.  FAQ updated.   :)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline mgleason007

• Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2004, 04:40:26 PM »
If I was wrong, sorry, I had an 80min CDR in front of me that says it is a 700mb capacity.  Thats were I did my math from.  Either way, you will be able to fit all that you need on the JB3.
Jim - Bad at math

Very true.  Just didn't want to spread misinformation :).  If you grab an 80 min CD and rip it it will come out to around 800 MB or so.  Confusing, I know.  Also know that if you burn a CD as a VCD, it will also hold more than 700 MB's.
Mike

Offline BklynBagel

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2004, 04:53:51 PM »
WOW ok capacity isn't a problem.

THANKS EVERYONE!!!
so as of now gonna do a 20gb NJB3(approx $200)
SP CMC-2 Cardioid mic set ($119)
now SP does a batter box and Pre-amp all in one...doe it make sense to do that or buy them seperately?

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2004, 05:04:05 PM »
the batt box/preamp combo has subtle advantage over just a batt box.  you'll be able to make a quality recording with either, so if you can afford the preamp option you might as well, just remember it is not absolutely necessary.

a seperate preamp, like an ad20 or a ua-5, is a much more noticeable difference.  it looks like you'd have to save some more for those, you can upgrade later if you like.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline mgleason007

• Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2004, 05:04:49 PM »
now SP does a batter box and Pre-amp all in one...doe it make sense to do that or buy them seperately?

Depends.  If you're going to stop here, it will be easier to get an all-in-one (one box, one battery).  But if you're going to want to upgrade your preamp later, it will obviously be easier if it's seperate from your batt box.  Of course you could just spend $40 on a new batt box if it comes to that.
Mike

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com