Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: getting into recorded  (Read 11287 times)

Offline BklynBagel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
Re:getting into recorded
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2004, 06:07:03 PM »
the batt box/preamp combo has subtle advantage over just a batt box.  you'll be able to make a quality recording with either, so if you can afford the preamp option you might as well, just remember it is not absolutely necessary.

a seperate preamp, like an ad20 or a ua-5, is a much more noticeable difference.  it looks like you'd have to save some more for those, you can upgrade later if you like.
well the SP batt box/pre-amp combo runs about $260. for that much would i be able to get both?

Offline BklynBagel

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2004, 06:14:26 PM »
ok i looked on SP they do a batt box for $60 and a pre-amp for $170

so as of now the hypathetical rig looks like this:

NJB3 20gb
SP-Preamp
SP Battery Box
SP-CMC-2 Mic

gonna run me about $540, I'd dare roll it over to $600 when all is said and done. how does this look? am i gonna get good bang for my buck and get hopefully better then decent recordings? also wondering where i can find a case, cause I'm sure sneaking in a NJB3 and 2 boxes is going to be a chore

thanks again everyone for all the help

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2004, 07:11:39 PM »
the preamp is built into the battery box, only making for one extra box

huh uh huh, he said box

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2004, 07:16:51 PM »
a while ago I asked about the soundpros preamp.  I only got a few replies, but all of them weren't too praising about it.  the general consensus was that while it will make a difference, it will not mean the difference between a good tape and a great tape.  get whatever you want though, I'm sure you'll have a blast...
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2004, 07:21:13 PM »
the preamp is built into the battery box, only making for one extra box

huh uh huh, he said box

soundpros' also makes what they call a preamp/power supply:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=540&item=SP-PREAMP&type=store

so actually you wouldn't need a batt box with that.  but they also sell a batt box with preamp:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=310&item=SP-SPSB-1&type=store

pretty confusing.  I have no idea if there a difference between the two, except $

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2004, 07:35:25 PM »
what the hell, they do the same thing.  Does SP have their heads up their asses on this one or am I missing something.  Either way, I'd go with line transformers or something.

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2004, 08:03:21 PM »
I have that sp batt box/preamp, i used the preamp once with my MD recording a radiohead concert and the recording was facked.  Even tho the meter's on my MD we're still pretty low.  I also used it when i recorded the Neil Young show and got the same results (distortion).  So, IMHO, the preamp is useless unless you use mics that have phantom power, the 9v config doesn't seem able to handle the preamp (which has two selections: 29db and 50db).

All IMHO of course...
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2004, 02:00:36 AM »
I have that sp batt box/preamp, i used the preamp once with my MD recording a radiohead concert and the recording was facked.  Even tho the meter's on my MD we're still pretty low.  I also used it when i recorded the Neil Young show and got the same results (distortion).  So, IMHO, the preamp is useless unless you use mics that have phantom power, the 9v config doesn't seem able to handle the preamp (which has two selections: 29db and 50db).

All IMHO of course...
You were probably overloading the md preamp with the gain of the sp preamp.  Were you plugged into mic-in or line-in?  What preamp gain setting?  50dB is an awful lot of gain.

Also, not that you're going this way, but do not bother using CSBs and a JB3.  The CSB output is way too low without a preamp.  Even at the loudest shows.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline George

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2004, 09:08:44 AM »

All IMHO of course...
You were probably overloading the md preamp with the gain of the sp preamp.  Were you plugged into mic-in or line-in?  What preamp gain setting?  50dB is an awful lot of gain.

Line in and the preamp was set to 29db.  

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2004, 11:09:16 AM »
hmmm...not sure.  Maybe even the +29dB is too heavy?
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline George

« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2004, 01:42:07 PM »
hmmm...not sure.  Maybe even the +29dB is too heavy?

Yeah, most definitely...apparently the soundpro mics with the battery box can't handle it at all.  I imagine my modded phantom mics will do better.

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline BklynBagel

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2004, 01:47:47 PM »
lol now i'm lost cause nobody seems to be too high on the SP pre-amp. where can i find a good one in the same price range?

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2004, 03:53:07 PM »
you could just go mics > batt box > jb3 and use that extra money to start saving for a digimod ua-5 ($295) or a ad20 or something.  if you are gonna get a preamp at soundpro's, get whichever one is cheaper since nobody knows which is better.

Offline snoknight

• Taperssection Member
Re: getting into recorded
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2005, 05:33:19 PM »
 SP-CMC-8 - SOUND PROFESSIONALS - PREMIUM AUDIO TECHNICA SLIMLINE STEREO MICROPHONES standard mini rotating clips [Add $ 20]
Add battery power module with bass roll off SP-SPSB-6
Add Large Audio Technica windscreens (one pair) [Add $ 10]
 pickup pattern Cardioid

that is the mics, cardioid for stealth cause i hate loud local noise or the regular joe trying to converse with me.
as for recorders... nomads are nice but with out a pre...? low dB.
minidisks... yes they compress the sound a bit, but they record for 16 hrs on a AA batt, (so they claim) its more like 8 hrs depending on brand.
Sharp imported (http://www.minidisco.com/md-mt280s.html) is the only brand with a powered mic line input anymore (f*#% up industry) about 3 volts it can run omni capsule mics ok... but with the SP-SPSB-6, 9 volt power supply added with the Mic powered input makes about 12 volts or so, this is perfect for this audio technica mic cause it wants 11 volts phantom power. ajusted just right between the box and the MD and you will get very good recordings at almost any distance or sound pressure level, the bass rolloff in the box is for the increased bass effect that cardioids display at closer distances, never had to use that though... well once... regretfully un needed..
this has worked well for years for me, yea there are regrets... like if only i had more than $600.00 to initially spend, like 2000.00 a piece for mics a 300.00 phantom a 500.00 pre (stealth) 1200.00 for phantom and 2000.00 for a preamp (standard rig) then maby a nomad, IBM or apple laptop.
my 2600.00 compaq works well though.
hope i helped
Dave

needs to buy a goat...

Ray76

« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2005, 08:46:06 PM »
you could just go mics > batt box > jb3 and use that extra money to start saving for a digimod ua-5 ($295) or a ad20 or something.  if you are gonna get a preamp at soundpro's, get whichever one is cheaper since nobody knows which is better.

I am taking two rigs to wilco, one of which is a core sounds stealth cardoids>sp preamp>jb3
and the other is the sp-cmc-2>batt box>jb3

so I can give you a report after sunday. I cant take my ad-20 cuz i dont have that mini>xlr cable and cant take the ua-5 to my c-4s cuz the damn battery (for ua-5)(which i paid overnight fees for) didnt arrive in time
Aah..choices.

hopefully one of these two rigs will be ok.I will have tapes up of both sources hopefully, unlessi get struck dead.

Ray
Ray!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.169 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com