Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Jb3 wav probs  (Read 10997 times)

Offline RA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Jb3 wav probs
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2004, 03:43:39 PM »
Dimensions

218(W)x 137(D)x 46.5(H) mm
8-5/8(W)x 5-7/16(D)x 1-7/8(H) inches
Soundprofessionals SP-CMC-4 cardoids --> Soundprofessionals SP-SPSB-1 --> Creative Nomad 3 Jukebox

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2004, 06:20:11 PM »
All of those upgrades could be handled by the UA-5.  Unfortunately, it is not easy to stealth (although others have done it).

The problem is, the more you upgrade, the bigger the equipment gets, the harder it is to stealth.  If you are going to stealth, here's what I would recommend:  stick with the equipment that you have, but run your battery box off of  2 9V batteries (giving you 18V).  It's the cheap easy way to get more SPL out of your mics.  I did it for a Dream Theater concert and it worked great.

what mics?

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2004, 09:09:02 PM »
The AT853's (SP version).

Norm, you have to be a little creative to do it.  You just need to get two 9V batteries to run in series.  Basically, take two 9V batteries, run some sort of wire/jumper between the - of one batt and the + of the other.  Then connected the remaining - and + on the batteries to the proper leads on the batt box.  I did that and wrapped the batteries around the battery box using packing tape.  A little ugly, but it worked like a charm!
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2004, 10:19:58 PM »
you can power yout cmc-4s via 18V battery power, very interesting

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2004, 12:04:12 AM »
Yeah, somewhere in the mass of archives of this forum there was a thread stating that the guys at Sound Pro's said that you could safely apply 18V to those mics.  I did a semi-scientific test, and took my gear out to my car.  Then I blasted my car stereo, which is not too shabby.  I tried it first with 9V batt power right up to the speakers, and then 18V right up to the speakers.  9V was quite distorted, but 18V sounded quite a bit better.  I took the 18V rig to a Dream Theater concert, and I ended up sitting third row with one of the loudspeakers pointed straight at me.  Freakin loud.  A little distortion did happen with the mics, but not much at all and very rarely, overall a very listenable boot.
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2004, 12:07:54 AM »
Yeah, somewhere in the mass of archives of this forum there was a thread stating that the guys at Sound Pro's said that you could safely apply 18V to those mics.  I did a semi-scientific test, and took my gear out to my car.  Then I blasted my car stereo, which is not too shabby.  I tried it first with 9V batt power right up to the speakers, and then 18V right up to the speakers.  9V was quite distorted, but 18V sounded quite a bit better.  I took the 18V rig to a Dream Theater concert, and I ended up sitting third row with one of the loudspeakers pointed straight at me.  Freakin loud.  A little distortion did happen with the mics, but not much at all and very rarely, overall a very listenable boot.

very cool!

I'm still on a quest to see what voltage the AT8533, AT8533x, and Samson PM4 adapters output...

Offline Norm

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2004, 04:16:28 AM »
This is a "goer" then guys?
Or should I take the official phantom power root?
Thanks
SP-CMC-8 -> SPSB-3 - > JB3

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2004, 04:42:27 AM »
well, I can't endorse the 2x9V setup, but if others can and that's the way you feel comfortable going, why not give it a spin?

Offline Norm

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2004, 05:52:49 AM »
Providing there is no way I could damage my mics, then i will try anything, once.
SP-CMC-8 -> SPSB-3 - > JB3

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2004, 05:59:13 AM »
Karl will pay for your mics if you damage em ;)

I've actually heard of people trying to apply high voltages to the mics directly, and it does nothing except refuse to pass a signal.  Take it as hearsay.

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2004, 12:08:01 PM »
I know leegeddy (Marc) asserts that he's applied 48V and it's not hurt them.

Norm, if you get into the phantom power thing, you will also realize that you can still wire your mics/adaptors to run on phantom power OR batt box power.  The reason people do this is because it's extremely hard to do a stealth job with phantom power.  So a batt box is the way to do it, and with your mics you have an advantage if you can run them at 18V.

Look here for what is informally called the phantom power "unmod"

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=18846.0

I just finished up that project a couple weeks ago.
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com