Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Blaster Sound Card good or bad???  (Read 11049 times)

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
Re: Sound Blaster Sound Card good or bad???
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2004, 10:50:18 PM »
ok, If I'm just transferring files from my JB3 to computer via firewire then upgrading my soundcard ASAP is no big deal at this point. right?

then you would only need it for playback, unless you are outputing the signal via firewire to a stereo through an interface
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

silverbullet

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2004, 06:38:56 AM »
M-Audio Audiophile 2496 - "There are no any internal connectors (like CD Analog In or CD S/PDIF in), which is a little drawback of the card"

so does this mean I need to keep my existing soundcard to play audio cds in my computer? If so, is there a chance that SB software may resample audio coming from the digital input from the 2496 card?

silverbullet

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2004, 09:55:53 AM »
I'll get the audiophile. The cd I was talking about was being able to play cds from the CDR drive. A cdr/dvd drive usually has a cable that runs internally to the soundcard but from the description it doesn't look like the audiophile has internal connections. No biggie.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2004, 11:15:51 AM »
Another opinion -- if you only need the soundcard to perform bit-perfect digital transfers from your dat>computer, and already have a jb3 and firewire card . . . unless you're planning on transferring a LOT of dats, you might want to consider just using the jb3 as the dat transfer device and skipping a new sound card alltogether.  YOu indicate you already have a d8 with an optical digital cable.  WHy not just go d8>optical>jb3 and then transfer the shows from the jb3 to the pc via firewire.  Although this requires an extra step, you don't need to worry about leaving your pc alone (or dealing with configuration issues) to avoid dropped samples, etc. as you would going dat>pc. 

Further, sample rate conversions, etc. are not an issue when playing stuff back via your computer's cd drive and then through your pc's speakers, etc.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2004, 01:12:12 PM »
Another opinion -- if you only need the soundcard to perform bit-perfect digital transfers from your dat>computer, and already have a jb3 and firewire card . . . unless you're planning on transferring a LOT of dats, you might want to consider just using the jb3 as the dat transfer device and skipping a new sound card alltogether.  YOu indicate you already have a d8 with an optical digital cable.  WHy not just go d8>optical>jb3 and then transfer the shows from the jb3 to the pc via firewire.  Although this requires an extra step, you don't need to worry about leaving your pc alone (or dealing with configuration issues) to avoid dropped samples, etc. as you would going dat>pc. 

Further, sample rate conversions, etc. are not an issue when playing stuff back via your computer's cd drive and then through your pc's speakers, etc.

Yes, if you have the Nomad already, you can use that as a step between the DAT and PC.  I do this now, although I have a Zoltrix...  It was easier to go DAT>JB3 then JB3>PC as it wouldn't tieup my PC for hours, just minutes...

T

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline hoobash

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2004, 02:10:44 PM »
This card is the same chipset and design as the zoltrix 6

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=29-117-107&depa=0

Depechemode1993

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2004, 02:46:39 PM »
what cable would I need for the audiophile from my d8?

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2004, 03:07:32 PM »
what cable would I need for the audiophile from my d8?

the D8 has a 7pin connection...you'll need the 7pin>coax cable for the Audiophile

the water's clean and innocent

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2004, 03:10:00 PM »
while the Audiophile PCI card doesn't have the internal cd audio input, I got around it easily enough by taking a RCA cable and a standard cdrom audio cable and splicing them togethor, ie, cdrom connector on 1 end, while the other was RCA....just run the rca cable outside the computer to plug into the RCA input and setup the mixer settings accordingly

the water's clean and innocent

silverbullet

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2004, 03:21:59 PM »
DAT>opt>JB3>computer - pretty clever guys  ;) Not only to free up the computer but I do multiple recordings so while one DAT is going to the computer I can take second DAT>JB3 and have that JB3 transfer ready when the first DAT to computer is done.  :)

CD music. I think most CDroms have that headphone jack in the front. 1/8th cord out of that into the rca inputs sounds like a good idea.

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2004, 03:30:44 PM »
This card is the same chipset and design as the zoltrix 6

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=29-117-107&depa=0

And at $24, you can't beat it with a stick!

T

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

silverbullet

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2004, 03:22:57 PM »
It was easier to go DAT>JB3 then JB3>PC as it wouldn't tieup my PC for hours, just minutes...

stupid question time:

Would having a V3 between the DAT and JB3 provide any benefit? Maybe to boost the signal or something. Digital is digital right? so I'm guessing having a nice A/D between the DAT and JB3 may be pointless.

I'm going to try and do some transfers soon (hopefully) and this has been on my mind.

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2004, 03:46:56 PM »
It was easier to go DAT>JB3 then JB3>PC as it wouldn't tieup my PC for hours, just minutes...

stupid question time:

Would having a V3 between the DAT and JB3 provide any benefit? Maybe to boost the signal or something. Digital is digital right? so I'm guessing having a nice A/D between the DAT and JB3 may be pointless.

I'm going to try and do some transfers soon (hopefully) and this has been on my mind.

The V3 doesn't have a digital in, so you can't do it anyway.  You'd have to go analog out of the dat > a/d stage of the V3 > digital in on the JB3.  Just go digital out of the dat > digital in of the jb3.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2004, 03:53:58 PM »

stupid question time:

To go DAT>JB3, you need a DAT with an optical output, or you'll need a Digital Format Convertor (like the Hosa ODL276) to convert the digi-coax signal to optical for input into the Nomad.

I do all of my DAT transfers this way, I have a Sony 59ES DAT and a Sony DVD that both have optical outputs.  I also have a Hosa ODL276, so while I;m at home, I use it to "patch" out of my home deck.  I also use the Hosa ODL276 to patch at shows (out of coax outputs), although as I discovered last night, it required a functional optical cable (doh!).

T

silverbullet

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2004, 05:09:02 PM »
thanks. I didn't realize the V3 didn't have an optical input. Stupid me :P

I've got chords and ways that will allow me to go DAT to JB3 easy enough.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 05:43:37 PM by silverbullet »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com