Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Crystal Cat  (Read 11898 times)

Offline JaL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Crystal Cat
« on: November 11, 2004, 04:46:14 PM »
I'm sure most people here are familiar with the Crystal Cat releases (Springsteen, Dylan etc).

I was thinking, besides being a very skilled taper, what's the trick? Any ideas about what kind of equipment he uses..? Just wondering if it's a $3000 setup or $30000 or what...

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My cd List
Re: Crystal Cat
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 06:00:45 PM »
No idea what you're talking about. Sounds like a commercial bootlegger.  ???
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 06:21:19 PM »
I doubt he tapes them himself.  It is easy enough to get tapes and he resells stuff that isnt his. 

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004, 06:45:24 PM »
never heard of em but if he's a smart bootlegger he doesn't tape it himself... that's too much overhead...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline JaL

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 03:34:12 AM »
Yes, he is a commercial bootlegger, but he does tape, at least some of, his releases himself and the soundquality is usually great. Very upfront and clear.

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 03:36:23 AM »
Yes, he is a commercial bootlegger, but he does tape, at least some of, his releases himself and the soundquality is usually great. Very upfront and clear.

so...what's your point?

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 03:41:11 AM »

so...what's your point?

marc

that he buys bootlegs on Ebay?

Offline JaL

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2004, 04:33:56 AM »
so...what's your point?

marc
Well, the quality of the recordings. Not the fact that he's making money, but how he manages to make those recordings... I'm not really interested in having a discussion about commercial bootlegging, because, as we all know, it's the work of the devil. Is it that you have to be the devil to consistently make those recordings. I'm aware that makin money out the recordings helps him getting expensive equipment, but how expensive?

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2004, 04:50:13 AM »
so...what's your point?

marc
Well, the quality of the recordings. Not the fact that he's making money, but how he manages to make those recordings... I'm not really interested in having a discussion about commercial bootlegging, because, as we all know, it's the work of the devil. Is it that you have to be the devil to consistently make those recordings. I'm aware that makin money out the recordings helps him getting expensive equipment, but how expensive?

ime, the $ amount of one's gear doesn't quite equate to the quality of the recording it yields, ESPECIALLY in a stealth situation.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2004, 04:51:49 AM »
i bet there's a few people here that have dropped enuf money on their rig to buy a small used car...not to mention all the money spent upgrading to get those rigs.

plus, if he really is the taper, i doubt he pulls a high quality show every time...i've had several shows that i've taped that sound absolutely amazing and i've had several shows that sound like poo.  plus i bet all of those recordings he is selling have been doctored up as much as they can be in post production.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline JaL

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2004, 05:23:19 AM »
plus, if he really is the taper, i doubt he pulls a high quality show every time...i've had several shows that i've taped that sound absolutely amazing and i've had several shows that sound like poo.  plus i bet all of those recordings he is selling have been doctored up as much as they can be in post production.

True. But for some reason he seems to make great recordings of all shows in Sweden, connections maybe...

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2004, 05:48:28 AM »
i dunno, are all the swedish shows from the same venue or venues...maybe the dood is a sound guy over there.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline JaL

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2004, 05:55:30 AM »
Nope, always different venues and my guess is that Springsteen/Dylan and the likes bring their own sound crew. But he could have a connection to get the best tickets.

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2004, 06:04:03 AM »
many tapers that stealth have "friends" that'll hook them up with good tickets in return for a copy of the show.  at least with my experience with radiohead.  I know on the last tour many people that had pit tickets or even close seated tickets exchanged them to tapers so they could get a better tape.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2004, 06:44:22 AM »
I wouldnt worry about how he does it.  I have tapes from many bands, some made by friends, some made by people I dont know that are better than crystal cat CDs.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com