Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: cell phones and their impact on taping  (Read 10712 times)

Offline kuba

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • king of snake
cell phones and their impact on taping
« on: April 22, 2005, 01:08:59 PM »
You all know that annoying noise appearing when a message or a call is received near loudspeakers. My question is, whether it is safe to tape with cell phone switched on near to the recording device. You know what I mean??
AT831 > bb > iRiver H120

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: cell phones and their impact on taping
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 01:11:30 PM »
if you get in coming call and your cell phone is RIGHT next to the recorder i'm thinking you might get some interference.  One of the firsts shows I ever taped I had my phone next to my dat.  I could hear that noise on my tape when somebody called my phone during the set.  I just try to keep it in my pocket.  Sometimes i turn it off completely during the show depending upon a few variables.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 01:44:59 PM »
Nextels in particular raise hell. I have a regular phone, but I always turn it off during the show. It's not like I'm going to hear anyone who calls, anyway.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline neutrino

• Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 02:57:46 PM »
This thread reminded me of a conversation I had not to long ago with an old taper friend of mine about cell phones at concerts. We use to see people get busted taping stealth all the time by exposing backlights or meters on their decks and how the common use of cell phones have now made it easier for stealth tapers to get away with peaking at their decks and not worry too much about exposing a "mystery light" in a dark venue...
dB-
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Depechemode1993

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 07:38:01 PM »
yes they do interfere with your recording. I was stealthing Morrissey back in October and I called my dad becasue he is a big morrissey fan. I got some of the clickdy click sound on the tape for about 1 sec. it just depends on how close you are to the recorder. Now I turn my phone off at concerts.

Offline Teen Age Riot

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005, 09:09:54 PM »
It seems that the problem is worse in Europe. I have gotten noise at shows from other people (when I didn't even bring my phone). Also, for some reason I never had any problems going SBM1>D100. But using mics>D100, I often got weird sounds, so apparenly it also depends on the equipment.

Offline Tim

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2005, 09:15:06 PM »
I've had a hard time nailing the problems down to one particular piece of gear, one set of mics, one set of cables, or even one phone or service type.... I've observed the cell phone interference problem for quite a few years though across a myriad of gear types. I think it is generally just good policy to, at the VERY least, just turn your ringer off....

I think active cables though are more prone to interference than other types of cables, gear etc.... though ymmv.....
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline blu666z

• AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2005, 09:49:22 PM »
This thread reminded me of a conversation I had not to long ago with an old taper friend of mine about cell phones at concerts. We use to see people get busted taping stealth all the time by exposing backlights or meters on their decks and how the common use of cell phones have now made it easier for stealth tapers to get away with peaking at their decks and not worry too much about exposing a "mystery light" in a dark venue...
dB-

Hadn't thought about it before but it makes perfect sense.

-Kevin

Offline Teen Age Riot

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2005, 01:35:22 AM »
dB-

Hadn't thought about it before but it makes perfect sense.

-Kevin

Totally! It actually saved my ass once at a Ben Harper show. I was upfront and this security woman saw the light of my D100 when I was setting the levels. She walked up to me and asked what that was. Luckily my phone was in my pocket right under the fanny pack, so I pulled it out and told her I had just turned it off. She believed it and left me alone. Never touched the D100 again that night... 

Offline fandelive

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2005, 04:31:03 AM »
I already taped some shows that were ruined in most parts by cell phones users having a conversation during the songs!!!
I just think cell phones should be forbidden at shows.

Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

cleantone

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2005, 09:32:36 AM »
I'm really surprised that I don't ge the cell phone interferance more often. I think maybe only one I have recorded the clicky noise during a show. Seems like it should happen more often. Thank god it doesn't. Just another thing to add to the list of things concert goers have no idea that thier doing to ruin a recording. Of course at least one person has to migrate toward your rig whether they know it or not. It could be 100 feet from anything and someone will want to stand 2 feet from it and almost step on it or something.

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2005, 10:00:46 AM »
I'm really surprised that I don't ge the cell phone interferance more often. I think maybe only one I have recorded the clicky noise during a show. Seems like it should happen more often. Thank god it doesn't. Just another thing to add to the list of things concert goers have no idea that thier doing to ruin a recording. Of course at least one person has to migrate toward your rig whether they know it or not. It could be 100 feet from anything and someone will want to stand 2 feet from it and almost step on it or something.

I think it depends on the phone and the carrier.
This one guy's phone messes with my friends tv all the time. I never seen mine
or his do that. I bring my phone to the show because I use the clock on it.
that's all it is there for..
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2005, 03:09:11 PM »
I bring my phone to the show because I use the clock on it.
that's all it is there for..

Buy a watch  :)
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2005, 07:19:55 PM »
one thing i like about cell phones is that when i check my levels now, i pull out my cell phone right afterwards.  now whenever i check levels, security thinks i'm checking my phone.

Offline kev B

• Taperssection All-Star
  • mmm, taping!
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2005, 06:30:28 PM »

I already taped some shows that were ruined in most parts by cell phones users having a conversation during the songs!!!

"hmmmmmm... I need to make a phone call. If I go back to those tall stands with antennae, that will increase my cell phone reception. Plus, no one is talking there so I can have a better, louder conversation"  :P  :-X
Oktava MC012 > digi-mod UA-5 > JB3 > SVU-1

Team Philly, Team Oktava, Team SVU-x

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.155 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com