Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Someone settle this: What exactly is FOB.  (Read 10938 times)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: Someone settle this: What exactly is FOB.
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2006, 07:53:20 AM »
how does dfc get abused..?

you are either directly front and center, or you aren't...

It gets abused all the time, the same way anything of this sort gets abused:  people aren't truthful, or more likely simply have different definitions of this "standard".  And really, how descriptive if DFC/FOB?  Not very, IMO.  In many venues, FOB could mean anything from stage-lip to 100' back.  In others, the soundboard is off to the side, and still others at the absolute rear of the venue.  I don't think most people list DFC/FOB incorrectly because they intend to lie (though I suspect some small percentage of people list DFC/FOB because they want people to want their recordings), but because some people are looser with standards than others.  For example, some people will list their mics as set up ORTF, even if their mics aren't set up 17cm at 110º...but say, 15cm at 100º instead.  I can't tell you how many times I've seen people reference DFC/FOB even though I've seen their actual position as:

• 6' left of center, -at- the board
  • 4' right of center, and by the way the -entire venue- is FOB so it's a meaningless definition at that point
  • DFC, but some undetermined distance in front of the board that is 100+' back (not very useful, is it)

It's silly, I know, but I believe it happens -all- the time.  The real reason I make careful notes in my info file is for myself.  I want a reference for the next time I go to the venue.  I'm glad other people like the detail, and I hope they find it useful;  I sure do.

As for the desire to be cryptic, I fully understand it.  But that's not usually the case when people misrepresent DFC/FOB, IME (prety good, eh...three TLA's in a row!).

Brian hit it...I have seen a ton of sources that are labeled as DFC, since they are in the center section of the arena, even though, they are 20 ft off of center...

Offline kgreener

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2006, 08:09:35 AM »

The real reason I make careful notes in my info file is for myself.  I want a reference for the next time I go to the venue.  I'm glad other people like the detail, and I hope they find it useful;  I sure do.

one of the main reasons i like descriptive text files from others is it's helpful to me when evaluting equipment for a possible purchase (mics, pre's, a/d's, etc) even if i don't know the venue.  knowing whether a person is 10 feet or a 50 feet away makes a big difference.

Offline Sparge Master

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Sparge Master's List
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2006, 12:43:30 PM »
Only time I use fob or dfc is when i am FOBDFC meaning the sweetspot in my mind. Ohh I also named one of my porters DFC Porter because it was so fucking good and besides that I dont use them
AT853Rx > MP-2 > modSBM1 > D8
7.5Gallon Pot > Sparging Bucket > 7.5Gallon Pot > Counter Flow Wort Chiller > 6.5Gallon Carboy > 5Gallon Carboy > Cornelius Keg > Tap > Glass > Mouth

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com