Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Newbie: Jazz Taping  (Read 3095 times)

Offline Lexus507

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Newbie: Jazz Taping
« on: February 23, 2007, 04:12:28 PM »
I have been a lurker for a while and am hoping to get into taping. I mainly have an interest to tape local Chicago jazz acts. However, I would also like the versatility to tape some rock shows. The Jazz shows are usually not amplified and are in pretty small places. I am therefore looking to catch as much detail as possible so I want a 24 bit recording rig. I was wondering if maybe C4's>UA5>microtrack(spdif) would work well for my purposes. I like the omni possibilities of the c4's and I will probably attempt to build some sort of J-disc to do omni recording or to try my MSH-1O's out. I am more of a home recording guy, so I do have some idea of what I am doing, but I do now know anything about portable power or really how mics work in a venue setting. I was hoping anyone who has done taping of acoustic jazz could tell me if they think this kid of set up would work well.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
Re: Newbie: Jazz Taping
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 04:27:49 PM »
Well, two things. You probably want an "up front" sound for jazz, so this means getting close and maybe using cards more than omnis. Not to say omnis won't work, they will and they'll sound great, but I'd make sure to get close with omnis and not use them unless its a "listening" crowd and now a bar or a restaurant (which jazz is so delegated to these days). Also, J-Discs are great, and I own one myself, but using them up front can be obnoxious and not-too-discreet, so head's up on that too.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Lexus507

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 04:38:19 PM »
Thanks! Usually they are most definitely "listening" crowds. Sometime I will tape at an art foundation which does not have the usually bar sounds etc. Also, I will be taping at a few bars/music venues, but on the nights for this kind of music the crowd is usually pretty silent. One problem however is the heating/air conditioning at these places...the crowd is nice and quiet, but the blowers aren't.
Thanks again for the help!

Offline ingsy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 05:44:43 PM »
my .02 - run the omnis onstage, split 4 feet, on small kick drum type stands.  you will be away from the blowers, and since the crowd is silent it should come out OK. 
Mics: AKG C 414 B-XL II/ST, Nevaton MCE 400
Other: M148, AD-500e, AD-1000, ACM PMD 660, R09-HR, JB3

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 06:09:37 PM »
What they said. 
I run omnis from the front row or as close as I can get, usually small theaters, churches, or halls with quiet 'jazz' audiences.  Get up close, on stage if you can.  I like running omnis for this type of stuff because even if I can't get a super present up close sound from some instruments (often  piano), if the room is decent and the crowd respectful, the sense of ambience and depth is superb and often more natural sounding to me than having all the instruments up front, super clear and 'in your face'.  It can be quite nice to have, say, the sax sound up front and the piano a little deeper in the soundstage.  All depends on how you like you jazz to sound.

-edit
a few things I've recorded recently have the soloist standing at the front lip of the stage sometimes, almost in my lap in the front row.  In this case 'on stage' would have been too close, behind or under the soloist even, but generally proximity is your friend with acoustic shows, IME.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 06:13:20 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 08:36:59 PM »
I personally have always liked omni mics for Jazz. I find it gives you more of the small club sound, ambiance. Cardioids will work to, but like others have said you have to be close to work them right with Jazz.. What would be really cool is some cards close up and a pair of widely spaced omni to get the "room" sound.

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline NJFunk

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 09:00:49 PM »
As far as the rig goes, C4 > UA-5 > MT is a highly versatile, portable, and cost effective rig that sounds great.  That would be a perfect choice.  Try to get a performance modded UA-5 or send your UA-5 to Busman to get it performance modded.  You'll definitely notice the difference in sound quality.

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 10:10:31 PM »
send your UA-5 to Busman to get it performance modded.  You'll definitely notice the difference in sound quality.
QFT

Offline Lexus507

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 11:49:33 AM »
I have seen that UA5's with various mods float around all the time. What do the different mods mean? Like digi-mod...I see that all the time.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 12:03:47 PM »
I have seen that UA5's with various mods float around all the time. What do the different mods mean? Like digi-mod...I see that all the time.

If you want to go digital from the UA5 to your recorder (JB3/H120/MT) without using a computer, you have to have a digi-modded UA5 -- otherwise you need a computer in the mix. For most most the digi-mod is a MUST-HAVE. All of the other mods change the sound and noise floor and other acoustic elements.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Lexus507

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 07:57:34 PM »
So if I want to use the  SPDIF out of the UA5, I would need this? Also, how much does a mod generally run?

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 07:59:18 PM »
So if I want to use the  SPDIF out of the UA5, I would need this? Also, how much does a mod generally run?

If you don't want to use a laptop too, then yes.

Offline Lexus507

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2007, 06:06:22 PM »
Would I wan't the UA5 to do the A/D conversion or would I wan't the microtrack to? I could just send the outs on the UA5 to the ins on the microtrack and save myself the money on the digi-mod.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2007, 06:34:31 PM »
The UA5 likely has a much better ADC than the microtrack. However, they're your ears. Try both and see what you like.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2007, 07:07:14 PM »
Well, one way to put it is like this... The UA5's ADC has had a LOT of use over the years and can be heard in a lot of sources over that time, and it's passed the test for being a pretty decent solution. The MT hasn't been around as long and has also had some issues. So, seems to me the obvious route is to just run a bit bucket behide it and not worry about it, which is why a basic digi-mod is the main mod everyone always has. I don't think you see too many people record off the analog outs of the UA5 very often, but maybe I'm wrong on that? I'm not sure, but the analog outs may also go: XLR Ins > ADC > DAC > RCA Outs. Could be wrong on that too, but all this begs why  everyone ran UA5 > Digi > JB3 for a long time -- it's a proven, field-tested rig.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com