Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 2 gig limit  (Read 2904 times)

Online lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Eschew obfuscation
2 gig limit
« on: October 28, 2013, 09:22:55 PM »
Not sure I'm posting in the forum, but here goes. Did a couple shows 24/96 with the PCM10. Recording started new file at the 2 gig limit (I guess?) Will end up dithering down to 16/44 I'm sure. In the past I've used "Addawav" to append the 2nd file to the first to make on big wav before cutting up. Don't think it resamples but who knows? What's the preferred way to approach this issue? Addawav is strictly for the 16/44. Any way around the 2 gig limit as far as putting the 24/96 files together? Still running XP SP3 if that makes any difference.
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
Re: 2 gig limit
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 12:26:09 AM »
Depends on the DAW. In Audacity you just add it at the end and fix the seam (then do any edits and export/track). In Reaper it's the same, but it takes a little more effort to join them seamlessly.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Marshall7

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 12:41:10 AM »
Yeah, piece of cake in Audacity.  Just open both files, copy the second one, go to the first file, Edit > Move Cursor > To Track End, and then paste.  Export as WAV at the proper bit rate and sample size.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 08:26:14 AM »
Depends on the DAW. In Audacity you just add it at the end and fix the seam (then do any edits and export/track). In Reaper it's the same, but it takes a little more effort to join them seamlessly.

Why do you have to fix the seam in Audacity?  Shouldn't it just add it to the end?

Yeah, piece of cake in Audacity.  Just open both files, copy the second one, go to the first file, Edit > Move Cursor > To Track End, and then paste.  Export as WAV at the proper bit rate and sample size.

This is what I expected...

That being said, I guess I'm old school and use shntool to join the wav files.  I might try something else someday, but I guess since I've been doing it for 10+ years one way, it might be a while.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 08:28:27 AM »

Why do you have to fix the seam in Audacity?  Shouldn't it just add it to the end?

In my experience just adding it to the end leaves a sample level gap. If you get them super close and then click on the seam it takes care of it, but if you just zoom in then it still shows up as being off by a handful of samples. It may be a workflow issue, or it may be a program issue, dunno.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 10:38:56 AM »
^^

This is true.  But, after you drag the beginning of the second track to the end of the first, they snap together.  Then to "fix the seam" all you do is click on the line where the two tracks join and Audacity automatically adds the missing samples in.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 01:42:59 PM »
Then to "fix the seam" all you do is click on the line where the two tracks join and Audacity automatically adds the missing samples in.

exactly.

It's a bright spot in Audacity. Reaper you have to zoom to the sample level and then make adjustments.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 01:48:39 PM »
i've used addawav successfully with 24/96 files before -- You can also join 2 wavs together in foobar2000.

My workflow these days is to track the first 2gb wav file using cdwave, save the tracks to individual flac files in cdwave, combine the last track (the one that's been cut off) with the next 2gb file using foobar2000 and track the resultant file in cdwav.  Then, as necessary, I resample/dither using foobar2000 and the sox plugin as necessary to "dumb down" for distribution -- this keeps the 2496 version as the master

happy to provide a more detailed foobar2000 workflow for combining/resampling/etc.

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 06:35:30 PM »
Audition:

Open file 1.  Open append file 2 to that. 

I'm sort of shocked any audio editor would not have an option for a clean join.   :facepalm:
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 07:18:10 PM »
I would say that it is equally important your joins are occuring at zero-crossings.  Even if the DAW appends files without any gap, you may still potentially hear the join (it will sound like a 'tick') if it's not at a zero-crossing and especially if it's a quiet/silent passage.  Gapless does not necessarily equal seamless.

Reaper has auto-fading the beginning and ends of items as well as auto-crossfading enabled by defualt.  This can get you what you want in a quick and dirty way by obscuring the join with the fades, but it doesn't always work.  I'm not sure what other programs do, but depending on where your unintentional file division occured you could end up with a very audible edit point.

If you really are going for seamless joins this is how I do it in Reaper:

Go into the Preferences and turn off the default auto-fade / auto-crossfade.
Zoom way in.  Put the cursor very near to the end of your first file, and tell it to Split at Zero Crossing (I think the shortcut may be Alt+Z, but check to be sure).
Do the same thing for the beginning of your second file.  Yes this will shave a few samples off each file.  They're being sacrificed for the greater good and are irrelevant unless you're doing a tempo-synced project.
Drag the two files next to each other in the same track (make sure Snapping is enabled on the toolbar).
Listen to the join carefully to verify you can't hear it.

At this point you can render out to a new file, but if you're going to split tracks at another point in your recording:
Select both files you are joining by Ctrl+clicking, then right-click one of them and select Glue Items.
Now wherever you decide to split later on, make sure you Split at Zero Crossing.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com