Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: speaker help  (Read 2179 times)

Offline Jamie

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a lurker
speaker help
« on: July 21, 2006, 09:29:05 PM »
hello all,
I'm a long time lurker that rarely posts...in fact, I think this is the first time I've started a new topic.  But I thoroughly enjoy reading (most) of the opinions and information written here and thought I could pick some brains.
We're building a new house here in the NC mountains and I've been granted use of the basement as a listening room...it measures approx. 15' x 25'.  As my 15 yr old Boston Acoustic speakers are starting to crap out, I'm looking to replace them.  I listen mostly to our live recordings via DAT (Tascam DA 30) and CD (Yamaha CDC 635) and currently run them through a Yamaha RX V-630 receiver.  Unfortunately, I'm limited to $500 budget for the speakers and I prefer a two speaker set up.  What are some of my best options in this price range?  TIA for any help.
Jamie

Offline newscane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • somuchtosay.net
Re: speaker help
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 09:54:30 PM »
I have B&W (Bowers and Wilkins) speakers.  I think I paid around $300 for the pair (DM 303).  I have the center channel as well.  I'd like to get rear surrounds and a sub one of these days (but I keep spending my money on concert tickets).  But the best way to choose a speaker is to go to a good store with a piece of music that you know and like, and test things out.  Every speaker sounds different, just like the way that different mics have different characteristics.  And if you can spend $250 a channel, you should have a lot of speakers to choose from.  Good luck!
Current rig: Avantone CK-1 > UA-5 > DR-100mk11
Retired: JB3

My (DMB) shows: http://www.dmbexchange.com/list.php?user=newscane
My website: http://www.somuchtosay.net

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Needs to get out more...
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 10:01:03 PM »
Hey Jamie, I have a pair of Boston CR85's that I love, that would easily fit in that budget.

Boston Acoustic CR85, you can't go wrong for the money.

7" midrange driver and a silk dome tweeter, to me they sounded much better than Boston's next speaker up the food chain.  They sound like a much larger speaker, don't take a ton of power to drive. If I had to choose between a pair of B&W DM600 S3's I'd probably pick these not only because they're about 1/3 the price, but they sound that good. (steal for $230 bucks!)

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?sHist=19-1%24cr85&showAdvanced=true&id=32126
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

cshepherd

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 11:32:48 PM »
I've been listening to the Rega R1 stand mounts ($495) with the Almarro A205a 5w set tube amp.  The speakers are 90 db efficient and they're an 8 ohm load...which means they are easy to drive.  Any way, This system is killing audience tapes and vinyl.  I can't say enough about these little speakers.  They use a 125mm driver and are designed to play close to the wall (less than 2').  They are the best match for the 5w Almarro that we've found by a mile.  Plus they are made in Britain, not China. 

Good luck with your search and a +T for staying two channel.

Chris

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 11:32:30 AM »
Look into some of the offerrings at av123.com for great value.  Others to consider would be axiom, harbeth, etc.  I think you will get much better long term value and enjoyment buying used.  No way to double your budget is there ;)

Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Jamie

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a lurker
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 05:19:24 PM »
Thanks to all who replied.  I ended up going with a pair of Klipsch kg4s I found on ebay for what seems to be a pretty good deal.  I can't wait to try 'em out!
Jamie

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 06:24:29 PM »
I almost bought these, but decided that rent was more important:

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/ele/185553459.html

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com