Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SetUp for Outdoors  (Read 8771 times)

Offline blu666z

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
SetUp for Outdoors
« on: June 28, 2003, 09:45:40 PM »
Gonna be hitting up my frist outdoor show on the 4th.  Its a free North Mississippi Allstars here in Seattle.  How should I setup my mics compared with 'normal' indoors where I run DIN?  I am thinking more angle.  Also, I may try running my buddies omnis with my mics thru my UA-5 to try that out.

-Kevin

rabhan

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:SetUp for Outdoors
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2003, 10:10:41 PM »
if you are close enough to center and fob, run ORTF if you got cards

Offline Wes

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2003, 10:17:47 PM »
For the cards Oade says:
http://oade.com/Tapers_Section/micsetupoutdoors.html
ORTF would be good too, IMO.

If you run the omnis I would just split them somewhere between 2 to 20 ft and point them at the stacks.  
" Radio Shack md440zrs>high pass filter>whopper a>d "

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2003, 01:25:19 AM »
I think NOS cards sound really nice outdoors if you're not too far back from the sound source.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

DaryanLenz

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2003, 01:36:28 PM »
I have run nos with mbho's outdoors and loved it.  With the gefells, I prefer ortf, at 110 or greater.  I always run FOB if I can FYI!

Daryan

Offline kgreener

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: SetUp for Outdoors
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2004, 02:10:29 PM »
I'm digging up this old thread as I have a question about outdoor setup.  Per the below photo, I taped this local band last weekend using NOS (Josephson cards) for the first set, and DIN the second set.  I like the sound of the second set better, but I'm still not real happy with either.  Yeah, could be a shitty sound mix (which I think is part of it), but I taped this same band last fall as a total newbie using what turned out to be an A-B config with SP Slimline cards, and damn if the old recording doesn't sound better than this one (I taped from the exact same spot, about 30 feet away DFC).  I think I should definitely try ORTF this time, if that's what you all think

But I also have a question about this outdoor configuration on the Oade page:  http://oade.com/Tapers_Section/micsetupoutdoorszoom.html

This to me looks almost like XY, but without the 90 degree angle...am I close on my guess?  What advantages does this config give you?  Wouldn't this give you a thin, weak soundstage?  Or is this to be used from a farther distance?  I'm going to (hopefully, if I get her okay) tape a jazz vocalist and her band in the same exact place this Sunday, so I'm wondering what the best config would be.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

peace

Offline kgreener

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: Setup for Outdoors?
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2004, 12:05:52 PM »
Anyone out there?   Can ya help a poor old soul get his sh*t together on outdoor mic configurations?  Please?!?

thanks

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2004, 01:00:11 PM »
I love split omni for outdoor shows. 
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline kgreener

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2004, 02:17:34 PM »
Agreed, I've read nothing but good things about split omnis.  However, this music series that I tape at has a lot of background noise...kids running around, folks yapping away, etc., so I'm not sure omnis are a good thing.  Actually I did record a show here last year with a cheap pair of mini omnis (my first pair of mics), and while it sounded okay, I got a *lot* of extra background noise in my recording, which is pretty bothersome after a while.

So, should I just go ORTF?  Or what about this config from the Oade site?  What do you call this?

Thanks y'all...

Offline danmorgan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2004, 06:01:02 PM »
Agreed, I've read nothing but good things about split omnis.  However, this music series that I tape at has a lot of background noise...kids running around, folks yapping away, etc., so I'm not sure omnis are a good thing.  Actually I did record a show here last year with a cheap pair of mini omnis (my first pair of mics), and while it sounded okay, I got a *lot* of extra background noise in my recording, which is pretty bothersome after a while.

So, should I just go ORTF?  Or what about this config from the Oade site?  What do you call this?

Thanks y'all...

I'd call that X-Y at an angle of 110-120 degrees.  You'll get a fuller soundstage and better low-end running ORTF opposed to this one pictured.

Offline kgreener

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2004, 06:07:46 PM »
Awesome Dan, this is what I wanted, somebody to reinforce what I've been hearing, that ORTF is the way to go.  A fuller soundstage and better low-end are what I'm looking for, no doubt.  Thanks again!

Offline danmorgan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2004, 06:19:38 PM »
No Problem ;)

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2004, 06:20:58 PM »
I ran ORTF for the first time ever last weekend at an outdoor gig my brother's band played. Other than some rumble from wind (got the phatty DPA screens on order now) I think it sounds great!
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline danmorgan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2004, 06:27:09 PM »
The only time I'd run X-Y over DIN or ORTF outdoors would be if the wind were so strong that it would limit the amount of phase-shifting that the mics would pick up.  Of course, it wouldn't limit any rumble, your windscreens would have to limit that.  Windscreens can't do a thing for phase-shifting.

Mirth-You'll love those DPA's for those heavier winds!

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2004, 06:31:20 PM »
Mirth-You'll love those DPA's for those heavier winds!

I'm looking forward to getting them! I traded the band that opened for my brother's group a couple weeks ago (indoors, whew) copies of their set plus the flac masters for the screens.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com