Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA5 Questions (Testing Upcoming).  (Read 2941 times)

Offline DaveG73

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Beer and Music.
UA5 Questions (Testing Upcoming).
« on: October 22, 2007, 11:48:21 AM »
Sorry for the n00b questions, but I really need the help so I don't fry anything.

My rig is as follows.....

JM27 Mics > XLRs > UA5 (Digimod) > iRiver (H320)/ Edirol R1.

This will be my first time testing/running phantom power.

(i) Should I turn on the phantom before or after I connect the mics? Does it matter? (assuming the master power of the UA5 is switched off prior to connection).

(ii) (Regarding Output) Should I be running from the RCA outs or the Optical/Spdif/Toslink to my recorder?

(iii) (Setup) I THOUGHT that my best setup using this rig would be to go "line in" (H320 is line in only/R1 has mic/line in). Is this right?

(iv) (Slightly Off Topic) I always assumed that "line in" was "digital" and "Mic in" was "analogue". After reading a few topics here, I have become unsure as to what is correct.

(v) According to the UA5 FAQ  http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,14389.0.html
The UA5 draws 450mA

How long will my battery last?

Depends on the battery's capacity (usually measured in mAH, or AH).  The UA5 draws about 450mA.  Divide your battery capacity (mAH) by the current draw (450mA) to get an approximate run-time.  For example, a 3000mAH 9.6v RC battery will yield ~6.6 hours of run-time (3000/450) .  Better to be a bit conservative in your calculations for practical usage, though - the battery may not be fully charged and you likely won't eek out every last bit of juice from the battery.  A good 5 hours is probably a reasonable estimate in this case.

Is this figure running phantom power?

Thanks in advance for anything you can help me with.

Dave.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 11:50:31 AM by DaveG73 »
Always Taping Under The Influence.

I was under the assumption that as a taper, we're all geeks?  I just thought it went with the territory?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: UA5 Questions (Testing Upcoming).
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 12:17:06 PM »
(i) Should I turn on the phantom before or after I connect the mics? Does it matter? (assuming the master power of the UA5 is switched off prior to connection).

I recall reading recently that phantom power specs don't require the mics to be plugged in first, but...it's probably a good idea to plug the mics in first.  Then power on the UA5.  Then turn on phantom.

(ii) (Regarding Output) Should I be running from the RCA outs or the Optical/Spdif/Toslink to my recorder?

If your recorder accepts a digital input, you should run digital-out, optical or coax, depending on which your recorder accepts.

(iii) (Setup) I THOUGHT that my best setup using this rig would be to go "line in" (H320 is line in only/R1 has mic/line in). Is this right?

If possible, you want to run digital-out of the UA5 to a digital-in on the recorder.  I think both the H320 and R-1 take analog inputs only.  In which case it's probably best to run the analog (RCA) outputs from the UA5 to the R-1s line-in input.

Note:  if you plan to use this gear for a while, best to get a recorder - like an H1xx - that accepts a digital input.  Running the analog outs on the UA5 to a recorder with analog inputs has the following signal path:  UA5 analog-input > UA5 ADC > UA5 DAC > UA5 analog-out > H320/R1 analog-in > H320/R1 ADC > HDD.  In other words, the signal from the mics is converted to digital inside the UA5, converted back to analog inside the UA5, and then re-converted to digital again inside the H320/R1.  It's not the end of the world, and will work fine for now, but you'll achieve better results if you run digital-out from the UA5 to a recorder that accepts digital-inputs.

(iv) (Slightly Off Topic) I always assumed that "line in" was "digital" and "Mic in" was "analogue". After reading a few topics here, I have become unsure as to what is correct.

Mic-in is an analog input one uses when running mics straight into the preamp/ADC/recorder.  Line-in is also an analog input, but requires a stronger signal to achieve good levels on the ADC/recorder.  Depending on whether one's using a preamp or not, and/or the gain structure of the ADC/recorder, one may run mic- or line-in.  For example, it may make sense - depending on the gear used - to run mics into line-in, instead of mic-in.  In this case, you're using the UA5 as a preamp (of sorts), so you should run line-in on the R-1.

Digital signals are typically either over coax or optical cables, and the format is usually S/PDIF.  The UA5 outputs both an optical and coax S/PDIF.

(v) According to the UA5 FAQ  http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,14389.0.html
The UA5 draws 450mA

< snip >

Is this figure running phantom power?

Yes.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline DaveG73

• Taperssection Member
  • Beer and Music.
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 08:38:49 AM »
Thanks for the above response.

Just a quick follow up.

(i) I assume there is no way to avoid the UA5 ADC > DAC that you reffered to.

(ii) Would this....

http://tinyurl.com/2p38et

...be a good powering option for the UA5?

Thanks again.

Dave.

I was under the assumption that as a taper, we're all geeks?  I just thought it went with the territory?

Offline ShawnF

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 10:03:32 AM »
Thanks for the above response.

Just a quick follow up.

(i) I assume there is no way to avoid the UA5 ADC > DAC that you reffered to.

(ii) Would this....

http://tinyurl.com/2p38et

...be a good powering option for the UA5?

Thanks again.

Dave.
1. Not with the analog (RCA) out.  The preferred use of this unit is with the digital out, but it's not like it's going to sound bad, I don't think, if you hooked up the RCA output directly to a playback system.  I would bet that at least as much "damage" to the signal will happen using your recorder's internal A/D, but if there isn't a digital input, that's going to be the case no matter you put in front of it.  I would probably just live with it for now, and perhaps think long-term about either getting a recorder with a digital input to better utilize the UA-5, or getting just a preamp with phantom to feed your recorder so it doesn't go through an additional set of conversions.  An MP-2, for example . . .

2. The lower of the two voltages (9) is good, but you need to make sure that you can have the center be negative.  It's hard to tell if you can reverse the polarity with these tips or not.  If the two prongs are exactly identical and the molding around them is flat, you likely can, but there are some systems now where the polarity isn't changeable.

Offline DeepCreatures

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • DeepCreatures Trading Home Page
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 10:59:13 AM »
it is really cheap and easy to get a battery cable at Rat-Shack and get the appropriate tips also.

peace,
ts
Mics: AKG 480s (Ck-61, CK-62, CK-63); SP LSD2; Audix M1280Cs; CA STC-11; CSCs
Pre-Amps: T+ UA-5; W+ UA-5; Bmp2+ UA-5; SD MP-2; CA ST-9000
Recorders: Tascam ACM HD-P2; Sony PCM-D50; Sony M1 (x3); Tascam DA-P1; Sony MZ-RH10; Marantz PMD-430

Offline DaveG73

• Taperssection Member
  • Beer and Music.
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 06:18:26 AM »
Thanks again for the responses.

it is really cheap and easy to get a battery cable at Rat-Shack and get the appropriate tips also.

peace,
ts

This is one of the problems of living on the "wrong" (for the purposes of this hobby) side of the Atlantic, but thanks.

Dave.

Offline DeepCreatures

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • DeepCreatures Trading Home Page
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 06:43:24 AM »
Thanks again for the responses.

peace,
ts

This is one of the problems of living on the "wrong" (for the purposes of this hobby) side of the Atlantic, but thanks.

Dave.

sort of laughing at myself over this one :P

peace,
ts
Mics: AKG 480s (Ck-61, CK-62, CK-63); SP LSD2; Audix M1280Cs; CA STC-11; CSCs
Pre-Amps: T+ UA-5; W+ UA-5; Bmp2+ UA-5; SD MP-2; CA ST-9000
Recorders: Tascam ACM HD-P2; Sony PCM-D50; Sony M1 (x3); Tascam DA-P1; Sony MZ-RH10; Marantz PMD-430

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com