Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Versatile Setup that Can be Used on a DSLR or stand alone - suggestions wanted  (Read 3038 times)

Offline robwas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Hello forum members, I’m hoping I can get a few suggestions from the wealth of expertise I see on this forum.  Here’s my situation…  for the past few years I’ve been video taping concerts at our local park, some really fine musicians come through there and I have run of the area/permission to pretty much setup anything I wish.  I started with an on camera mic, it was terrible and graduated to a Zoom H5 with the built in XY capsule.  This does a pretty good job if placed closer to the speakers, if father back I tend to get too much bass and a reverberant sound I don’t like.  At any rate, I want to improve upon this, one of my bigger issues is that I cannot see the levels on the recorder once it’s up high on a stand (I use a photography lighting stand to get it up over crowd chatter).  In addition to this scenario I also have the opportunity to record artists at a very small music room but in this case I need to have something attached to my person/camera that won’t block views anymore than myself.  The venue is totally ok with taping, in fact they encourage it because I share the videos but using something not attached to my person would be a trip hazard and too intrusive.  So here’s my question, is there something for around $500 that I can attach to my camera for a simple setup that would be an upgrade from mounting my zoom H5 on my hot-shoe with an isolation mount and that would also be used on a pole as well when that’s an option?  One of the mics I saw talked about was the Audio Technica AT-8022 stereo mic.  Would this or another option be superior to the Zoom H5 or perhaps a Rode Stereo Videomic?  Also, how do all in one stereo xy mics compare to using a pair of separate mics on  a bar configured XY sonically?  Lastly I should mention the camera is a Sony A7 dslr, however I can use the Zoom H5 to record into or as a preamp/interface before plugging into the A7Riii.  I realize the quality into the Zoom will be better but it’s often very convenient to also have decent audio attached to the video files that doesn’t need synching for immediate uploads.  I've also attached two photos of the "venues" I'm speaking about.
Thanks for any direction, suggestions or comments.

-Robert Wasilewski

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
The guys at work that do video of depositions with DSLRs are using DR-70ds for their audio. In that scenario they're usually using lav mics, so that's not going to do you much good.

As for metering from the air, back in the neolithic age there was a thing called an SVU-1 that was just a RCA input, 9v stereo LED meter. I'd set mine relative to my recorder and throw it in the top of the bag (I'd guess you could tape it to your stand) so I could see from a distance.

On mics I'm not going to be much help. Ignore anybody who chimes in with "you've got to have Schoepps to make a decent recording".
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
Oh, and HEY ROBERT!!!

Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
the new mv88+ look slike a good option for that
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
Maybe that Zoom ambisonic mic and recorder in one?  I know nothing about video so just throwing an idea out there.  Ambisonics give you a lot of flexibility in post.  Otherwise I'd second the Audio-Technica stereo mic idea.  I used to have an AT822 that could pull some decent recordings.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11

Agreed on the Audio Technica stereo mic. I had an AT825 that made surprisingly good recordings. You can put it up in the air to get over the talkers when you are outside but still have your recording deck down where you can monitor the levels, battery life, etc..

When you need to move indoors into tighter spaces I'm sure Rycote makes a shoe adapter for their shockmounts that could mount that mic (or something similar) to the camera to minimize your footprint.

the AT8022 is talked about quite a bit being good quality for shooting video. Never used one myself - I always run a full audio rig on a stand and when I shoot video at the same time I just take a camera output from my recording deck and feed it to the camera input.

There is a ton of options - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Stereo-Specialty/ci/15472/N/4291086009

Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
As for metering from the air, back in the neolithic age there was a thing called an SVU-1 that was just a RCA input, 9v stereo LED meter. I'd set mine relative to my recorder and throw it in the top of the bag (I'd guess you could tape it to your stand) so I could see from a distance.
https://www.globalmediapro.com/dp/A01BR5/BeachTek-SVU-1-Stereo-VU-Meter/

DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com