Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The possibly best settings for Tascam DR07 on this venue (picture in thread)  (Read 2519 times)

Offline vr46

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
So, plan is to record parts of a concert tomorrow at this great outdoor venue! Using a Tascam DR07 with built-in mics.

My seat is marked with a red spot.
I know it probably hard to say what settings are the best, but maybe someone here has great experience from dealing with recordings at amphitheatres etc...

Current input settings on my device:

Gain: LOW
Power: OFF
Low Cut: OFF
Level Ctrl: OFF

Thanks in advance!

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Nine Inch Nails Live Archive
Looks like that’s the best you can do with just using the internal mics. Make sure the mic is uncovered and pointing towards the stacks.
http://www.ninlive.com]
http://www.ryanjonik.com
Mics: Schoeps MK4s, AT853 (4.7k mod)
Pre: Naiant IPA v1.0, Babynbox
Recorders: M10, A10, Zoom F8n, Marantz PMD-620 (Concert Mod), TCD-D8
Transfers: Everything you want

Offline u2_fly_2

• Taperssection All-Star
So, plan is to record parts of a concert tomorrow at this great outdoor venue! Using a Tascam DR07 with built-in mics.

I know it probably hard to say what settings are the best, but maybe someone here has great experience from dealing with recordings at amphitheatres etc...

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

Is the venue "Dalhalla"?
I taped there twice...usually nice sound system...
Good luck with taping!
Soundprofessionals Audio Technica AT 943 (SP-CMC-8) External Stereo Microphones > SP-SPSB-10-80020
Sound Professionals Micro-mini microphone power supply with mini 12vdc battery and 24 inch hardwired output cable Soundprofessionals Batterybox >> Olympus Ls-10 Linear Recorder > 4 GB > 24 Bit / 48 Khz  > 24 Bit / 96 Khz

Zoom Q3 HD - 1080p / 96-24 Bit

Roland R-26 (96 / 24 Bit)

Sony PCM-D100 (192 / 24 Bit)

Offline vr46

• Taperssection Newbie
Looks like that’s the best you can do with just using the internal mics. Make sure the mic is uncovered and pointing towards the stacks.

Thanks, I guess I should keep track of the Gain level during the support act to get an idea if I need to set it to Low, or Mid.

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

Is the venue "Dalhalla"?
I taped there twice...usually nice sound system...
Good luck with taping!

Yes, it is Dalhalla indeed. I was there a few years ago and thought the sound was pretty decent. I will give it a go.
I hope the rain stays away though, the forecast is a bit risky.... How could rain affect the mics on the device? Any setting to take into consideration if rain is the case?

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
"Gain: LOW
Level Ctrl: OFF"

Those will be the most appropriate settings for most all handheld recorders using internal microphones to record live music performances, regardless of venue. 

Gain depends somewhat.  Low is likely the best choice if the performance is amplified.  Mid or High could be appropriate if the SPLs are lower without strong dynamic peaks and remains that way throughout the entire performance, such that if gain were set to Low the meters would otherwise only peak significantly below something like, say -20 dBFS at the loudest parts.  If there is any chance of clipping / peaking at 0 dBFS or above on the meters, set gain lower.  Checking during the opener is good practice, but leave some additional headroom for the headline act as that will almost always be louder.

Power refers to the provision of Plug-In-Power to input jack for external microphones. If using the internal microphones built into the recorder this setting is not important, but leaving it off is best practice. If you were plugging external microphones that require low voltage powering straight into the recorder, without external powering from a battery-box or preamp, this would need to be switched On.

Low Cut should generally be switched Off for music recording.  If employed, the low frequencies will be attenuated which typically makes the recording sound thin, less natural and less engaging.  EQ applied afterward is a far superior way to reduce excessive bass or address other problems in the low frequency region.  In that way you can listen while determining where, what and how much to cut, and try various setting and tweak them until it sounds best.  Low cut is mostly intended to reduce wind-noise and rumble, and can be useful for other types of recording such as dialog recording, where a wide frequency response and good extended low frequency response is not important to the end result, but may be useful as a last resort when recording something very, very loud with so much low bass that the recorder can't otherwise handle it without distorting.

Level control should be Off for all music recordings.  Set recording levels manually.  Otherwise the recording will suffer from automatic volume changes whenever anything gets louder or softer.

Other stuff:
As RyanJ mentioned, arrange the recorder so that the microphones are pointing toward the stage and have a direct line of sight to both PA stacks.  Get the microphones up as high as possible/practical.

If there is wind, use a foam windscreen or some kind of audibly transparent fabric over the microphones. If no wind down there in the quarry pit amphitheater you can ignore this. To be effective it has to fully cover the microphones without any "air-leak" openings near the mics.  Makeshift fabric windscreens are generally most effective when the fabric is thicker (a sweater, fleece, faux fur) yet must also be as audibly transparent as possible, and those two attributes tend to be contradictory.  Check potential windscreen material beforehand by holding it up to your ear and listening for how much high frequency content makes it through, as it is the high frequencies that will be most attenuated by the material.  Make some test recordings with a fan blowing to get a idea of effectiveness and high frequency attenuation.  Fixing a dull sounding recording with EQ afterward is far easier and more effective than dealing with low frequency wind rumble on a recording.

Very light rain should not be a problem. But bring a ziplock bag that he recorder will fit in just in case the rain gets heavy.  The plastic bag will not block the sound to any appreciable degree, the biggest issue is potential for the bag to make rustling noise when handled or by raindrops impacting it directly, but if the rain gets heavy, the recording is going to suffer regardless. 

Check and format the SD card in the recorder beforehand.  Check your batteries.  Bringing a spare SD card and batteries is always a good idea.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Cool looking venue.  Your recording position looks quite good.  Looks like the soundboard will likely be located at the rear of your section 8-10 rows behind you, so the sound should be well balanced where you are.  Don't worry about this, but for future reference I'd like to be closer to the stage, ideally at the front of the section immediately in front of where your seat is this time.  At that location there is the potential for a wider more enveloping sound with greater proximity and impact, greater audience enthusiasm and less detracted talking.

The absence of a roof over the audience makes rain a potential problem, but should make for a more open sound with less potential for reverberant problems in the low and low-mid frequencies.

The stone walls of the quarry may or may not be problematic.  They are far enough away so as not to produce a slap-echo, but could still present an echo of longer duration.  If the PA system is well configured and dialed in, this has probably been addressed in its design and setup. The quarry may even provide a nice ambiance.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline vr46

• Taperssection Newbie
Really surprised with the recording quality using the internal mics, I checked the levels during the support act and realised Low gain (lowest setting) would still make a good recording, left the device in my shirt pocket the whole concert. Great sounding in this venue, can highly recommend a visit.

For the ones interested in the outcome, here are 2 clips without any edits to the audio. I might have a go with editing the whole file later and see what I come out with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1y5OJU-ju0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9reg8G7n7nE

Offline moondust.and.solitude

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Holding hands singing kumbaya
Really surprised with the recording quality using the internal mics, I checked the levels during the support act and realised Low gain (lowest setting) would still make a good recording, left the device in my shirt pocket the whole concert. Great sounding in this venue, can highly recommend a visit.

For the ones interested in the outcome, here are 2 clips without any edits to the audio. I might have a go with editing the whole file later and see what I come out with.

If you ever decide to share this, I would love a copy.
Mics: Lewitt LCT-040; Naiant X-X Omni's; Audio Technica U853AW's; Sony ECM-166BMP's; Audio Technica AT-853's.
Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Cables; Canare Custom Cables, UniStar LilRed Whip.
Recorders: Tascam DR-100mkIII; Tascam DR-05x, Tascam PortaCapture X8, Sony PCM-A10.
Misc: Samsung EVO Plus 128GB SDXC Cards.
RayoVac Fusion Batteries.

Offline u2_fly_2

• Taperssection All-Star

Great recording, thank you! :-)

I recorded Takida back in 2014, you can check out my recording here:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=754299

Soundprofessionals Audio Technica AT 943 (SP-CMC-8) External Stereo Microphones > SP-SPSB-10-80020
Sound Professionals Micro-mini microphone power supply with mini 12vdc battery and 24 inch hardwired output cable Soundprofessionals Batterybox >> Olympus Ls-10 Linear Recorder > 4 GB > 24 Bit / 48 Khz  > 24 Bit / 96 Khz

Zoom Q3 HD - 1080p / 96-24 Bit

Roland R-26 (96 / 24 Bit)

Sony PCM-D100 (192 / 24 Bit)

Offline vr46

• Taperssection Newbie

If you ever decide to share this, I would love a copy.

I have a contact who is really good at remaster and improving sounds of audience recordings like this... might be a few weeks at least, but if he gets it done with significant improvement, that version is the one to focus on... I'll get back on this subject....  The recording is complete anyway from intro to the very end...

Offline moondust.and.solitude

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Holding hands singing kumbaya
I look forward to it. It can be tempting to get heavy handed using EQ, just make sure whoever works on it for you that you keep a flat/non-EQ copy for safety/backup. You'll find out soon enough that as you record more and more that having the original file to revert back to is a blessing. As techniques and programming gets better it's always best to work with an untouched file.
Mics: Lewitt LCT-040; Naiant X-X Omni's; Audio Technica U853AW's; Sony ECM-166BMP's; Audio Technica AT-853's.
Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Cables; Canare Custom Cables, UniStar LilRed Whip.
Recorders: Tascam DR-100mkIII; Tascam DR-05x, Tascam PortaCapture X8, Sony PCM-A10.
Misc: Samsung EVO Plus 128GB SDXC Cards.
RayoVac Fusion Batteries.

Offline vr46

• Taperssection Newbie
I look forward to it. It can be tempting to get heavy handed using EQ, just make sure whoever works on it for you that you keep a flat/non-EQ copy for safety/backup. You'll find out soon enough that as you record more and more that having the original file to revert back to is a blessing. As techniques and programming gets better it's always best to work with an untouched file.

Of course, the original wav file will remain on my drive!

I really liked their latest song that they had as the opener (I uploaded more songs)
https://youtu.be/ghoehggEEl4

This is the second time I am using this device. First time was 4 years ago, front row on a Mark Knopfler concert. Decent sound but I am more happy with this sound from a seat in the middle.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com