Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Camera newbie...bear with me  (Read 5992 times)

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
Camera newbie...bear with me
« on: July 12, 2007, 02:25:30 PM »
I am looking to enter the world of Digital SLRs.  My current digi is a canon powershot digital elph and i hate it.  Want something that I can actually utilize a zoom on, interchange lenses, and take pictures worth a damn with. 

I've been doing a little homework, but am looking for some hand-holding here.  Is this a decent buy?

http://www.fotoconnection.com/p51857-canon-eos-350d-digital-rebel-xt-package-5.html

And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline dgodwin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
Re: Camera newbie...bear with me
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 02:32:04 PM »
I'd suggest going to your local camera store (if any in your area still exist) and see what they have to offer.  They might be able to put together a similar package if that's what you want for a similar price.  If you're just starting out with a SLR, the knowledge they can share with you would be worth paying a little more. 

stirinthesauce

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 02:33:00 PM »
I am looking to enter the world of Digital SLRs.  My current digi is a canon powershot digital elph and i hate it.  Want something that I can actually utilize a zoom on, interchange lenses, and take pictures worth a damn with. 

I've been doing a little homework, but am looking for some hand-holding here.  Is this a decent buy?

http://www.fotoconnection.com/p51857-canon-eos-350d-digital-rebel-xt-package-5.html

pretty decent buy.  If your doing any lowlight, your gonna want some different lenses.  Lenses are like mics, pricey and addictive.  >:D

Another option is to buy just the body, and get the lenses seperate.  Of course, if your doing mainly day time shooting, those lenses in the package will be adequate.  You can always re-sell.

Offline heath

• I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 02:38:48 PM »
For the most part, I want to be able to shoot sports from a distance (hockey in particular) and landscapes, etc (leaving in a month for Hawaii and want to take pictures that I will be proud of).

h

The Upstream Mend

stirinthesauce

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 02:44:16 PM »
For the most part, I want to be able to shoot sports from a distance (hockey in particular) and landscapes, etc (leaving in a month for Hawaii and want to take pictures that I will be proud of).

h

Both of those lenses will do the job you want.  You will definitly get the upgrade bug (don't we all  ;D  ) but you have your wideangle lens and your tele zoom so you should be fine with that kit.  Good price, I paid just under 6 for my old rebel XT and it's 18-55 kit lens.  Your getting an additional lens and paying just over 6.  Dooeeet  ;D

Oh, and if your going to Hawaii in a month, get out and practice, practice, practice every day.  Find out what every auto and manual setting does, your iso's, your apertures, all that jazz so you can get the end result you desire out of each situation.  Thanks to others posting links to sites, I have found www.dgrin.com and www.fredmiranda.com very helpful
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 02:47:28 PM by stirinthesauce »

Offline heath

• I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 03:48:43 PM »

The Upstream Mend

stirinthesauce

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 04:00:01 PM »
Any reason why this would be better or worse? 

http://www.expresscameras.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=621005&up=620700&start=1

Not familiar with Nikon bodies and lenses.  I'm a canon guy. 

Offline heath

• I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 04:02:23 PM »
gotcha.  thanks for all the help thus far :)

The Upstream Mend

Offline heikki

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • ...and i'm as honest as a jersey man can be
    • OutDated List
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 06:39:04 PM »

I bought my D80 at release, almost a year ago now, and paid a bit more than that but that price STILL seems a bit too low - ?  I haven't watched the prices in a while but shop around.

I am also picky about USA models vs. gray market cameras - the latter having no MANUFACTURER warranty in the USA.  You may want to beware.  A lot of these Brooklyn basement camera shops sell gray market cameras, often offering a 1 yr. warranty (through them, NOT the manufacturer).

Another thing to be careful of are online retailers with very low prices.  They will often call to "confirm your order" and in try to talk to you into high mark-up accessories.  If you don't buy them, all of a sudden your order is canceled, the camera is back ordered, etc...

I am personally a Nikon shooter but I would recommend Canons for many DSLR beginners. The bodies are usually a bit cheaper but the lenses are often considerably cheaper (than Nikon).  This can be especially true when you get into the lenses with vibration reduction, etc...

Your kit lens (the ones that come with the bodies) will serve you well for a while but they aren't going to make you happy when you want to start shooting sports or concerts.

http://kenrockwell.com/
Many consider this guy to be an arrogant ---- and he is very heavily Nikon-biased but when you cut through to the material his site and articles contain a LOT of useful information.

Good luck!
C 480 B + CK61/63
          Edirol R-4 (Oade T-Mod x 4)

Masters on LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/heikki

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 10:15:28 PM »
not that it matters that much, but cameras do come in "flavours" like microphones/rec. equip.  I have heard that the canon sensor is better in low light, and canon makes their own image sensors..   while nikons are more ergonomic for male shooters, have more features, and they use sony image sensors.  remember, minolta doesnt make digitalslr's anymore, however sony will service them AND the new sony alphaSLRs can use the older minolta lenses..   some of which I hear are quite good.     
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 10:32:48 PM »
Canon & Nikon are both great cameras.  Canon tends to have better low light sensor performance, and I'm a Nikon shooter saying that.  Nikon's flash metering and color performance are slightly better in general.

Watch out for that store..  There are tons of scam online camera stores.  B&H, Adorama are a few of the better known legit places.  Check a site like Reseller Ratings for store reviews.  FotoConnection sounds like another one of the bad sites....

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/FotoConnection_1

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline heath

• I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 09:53:14 AM »
the more I have been reading (spent a lot of time on fredmiranda and such last night and this morning) it seems that a Digital Rebel XTi might be a good fit for me as a beginner.  Currently pricing those out :)  Thanks a ton for suggestions, sites, etc.  I am a slow learner, so hand holding is appreciated :D

The Upstream Mend

Offline heath

• I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 09:54:02 AM »
+t's to all

The Upstream Mend

Offline heath

• I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 02:02:09 PM »
Just got back from the Camera store, and I have to say that the Nikons felt better in my hands.  Now I'm reeling.  Going to price some D40's and D80's and see what kind of chart I can come up with to help me figure out what to get.

Time to start a new slutty hobby :)

The Upstream Mend

Offline dgodwin

• AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2007, 01:49:03 AM »
Glad you made it to a camera store.  I'd be cautious with a D40 and D40x, as you're limited in the lenses you can purchase, as it does not support Auto-Focus in older lenses (non AF-S lenses)   If you don't have access to any older lenses, and only plan to buy new ones, then it shouldn't be a problem.  I have a D100, and enjoy it, but I'm even tempted to look seriously at a D80 as a replacement in the future. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com