Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Whats the Difference......MK012 matched/not matched....UA-5...digimod UA-5  (Read 2764 times)

Offline jb3newbie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Oktava MK012 > (soon to be) W-Mod UA-5 > JB3
Will there be a notable difference in an unmatched pair of Oktava MK012's ???

Also could I pull a decent "tape" w/o getting the digi-mod.  

I am pretty much set on getting a matched set of MK012s...then running into a UA-5 (Possibly digimod) > then into the NJB3...
Ubber is a cool sounding word

localtaper@taperssection.com

Offline teamakg

• Taperssection Member
Re:Whats the Difference......MK012 matched/not matched....UA-5...digimod UA-5
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2003, 08:04:44 AM »
you won't get any tape without the digi-mod.  it's a necessity.  without it you can't use your UA5 as a stand alone unit.  

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2003, 09:13:36 AM »
you won't get any tape without the digi-mod.  it's a necessity.  without it you can't use your UA5 as a stand alone unit.  

Maybe your confusion is that there are several mods that people get to the UA-5.  First, in order to make the UA-5 work without having it plugged into a computer via USB, it must have the digimod, which is what you are discussing above.  There are some resources about how to do this yourself somewhere in taperssection.com...

Second, people sometimes get an Oade Brothers warm mod, or a presence mod - this switches out the stock mic preamps, and supposedly makes them sound WAY better.   But, these Oade Brothers mods are optional.
Check this out:
http://www.oade.com/digital_recorders/Digital_Converters/Edirol_UA5.html

The bottom will describe the optional mods better than I can...

I have the preamp --> recorder rig you are contemplating, using a UA-5 w/ a Oade Warm mod, and it sounds very nice.  I have never heard anything else, but my recordings that I have done thus far sound really nice!  Strangely, it is called a warm mod, because that is exactly how it sounds - warm! For the warm mod UA-5, w/ 'portable' mod, I paid $500 new, and I have spend about $60 or so in batteries, and $20 or so for the cord to connect the UA-5 to batteries.

HTH-
Pfife

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline junkbondking

• a good story and a good massage both have happy endings
  • i'm busy fabercating
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2003, 10:16:37 AM »
i have both the warm and digi mods on my ua-5 and have to say that it is one great piece of gear.  i would encourage you to try your jb3 or a friends with a v3 as well.  but since a fully modded ua-5 costs 1/2 as much as a used v3, and delivers very comparable results, i think you'll end up with the ua-5.
www.poachninja.com  "you've been poached"

km184 -> busman modded R4

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2003, 11:31:52 AM »
i would encourage you to try your jb3 or a friends with a v3 as well.  but since a fully modded ua-5 costs 1/2 as much as a used v3, and delivers very comparable results, i think you'll end up with the ua-5.

It was a quote very similar to this that made me decide to take the UA-5.... and I am quite happy with it!

~Pfife
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2003, 02:51:16 PM »

a notable differnece.. well some people would say yes, other might not, it is a good thing to have matched pairs, but it simply means that they have sequencial serial numbers, and they will probably come with certificate saying that, and they have the same polar pattern alll that junk..  i almost went from my akg 391's to oktavas, but i didn't like the lowend they had with them, but they did sound very nice for the price.. i just decided the 391's sounded better, and what i wanted for their price..

peace.
matt
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2003, 03:37:33 PM »

a notable differnece.. well some people would say yes, other might not, it is a good thing to have matched pairs, but it simply means that they have sequencial serial numbers, and they will probably come with certificate saying that, and they have the same polar pattern alll that junk..

Not necessarily true - a matched pair means that they've been measured against each other to see if they have the same frequency response graphs, etc. - i.e. that they perform identically, or as close to identically as possible. With an unmatched pair, you might luck out and get a pair that might as well be matched, or you might not, and get a pair that sounds like shit. Depends on a) how well you can hear,  b) how much you care, and c) how much you pay. :) A matched pair will frequently have sequential serial numbers, but not always. It's more likely because the conditions, parts and assembly are supposedly most similar at the time of manufacture, but there are folks whose matched pairs aren't anywhere near each other...
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com