Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Neil Young's Pono music player hits kickstarter  (Read 16048 times)

Offline bobstammers

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
Mics        : Naiant AKG CK63 Actives, DPA 4061, SP-CMC-25, CA11c, CA11 IIo,CA14c, CA14o, CAFS, AT933 (4.7k)
Pre         : Tinybox, PIPSqueak, CA9100, Ugly II pre, CA Ugly II 3 wire pre
Batt Box : MM-CBM-Mini
Decks     : H340 rockboxed, R09HR, M10 x 2

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Neil Young's Pono music player hits kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 05:11:13 PM »
I might have grabbed one for $200. $300 is borderline since I haven't heard any first hand reports on how it sounds. $400 is just too much for something I won't use that often. Most of my headphone listening is done at home in front of my computer or at the office. For $200 I'd consider one for plane trips, on the bus, etc. For $400, I'll live with my phone.

The fact that it plays FLAC is HUGE. I have a ton of stuff from HDtracks. If I had to re-buy everything I wouldn't even consider it.

Hopefully the price goes back down after a little while.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 05:32:17 PM »
I think I would get this instead.  Can use dual 128 gig cards, and will eventually be ale to use dual 512 gig cards.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1032833-REG/fiio_x_5_portable_high_resolution_music.html
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline dhora

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 06:48:23 PM »
I think the most interesting part of this is to see if this makes more people use flac.

From the kickstarter FAQ:
Is PonoMusic a new audio format? What about PonoMusic quality?

No. We want to be very clear that PonoMusic is not a new audio file format or standard. It is an end-to-end ecosystem for music lovers to get access to and enjoy their favorite music in the highest resolution possible for that song or album. The music in the PonoMusic.com Store is sold and downloaded in industry standard audio file formats.

The PonoMusic.com Store uses FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) audio format as its standard, for compatibility, although the PonoPlayer can play most popular high-resolution music formats from other sources. PonoMusic has a quality spectrum, ranging from really good to really great, depending on the quality of the available master recordings:

• CD lossless quality recordings: 1411 kbps (44.1 kHz/16 bit) FLAC files
• High-resolution recordings: 2304 kbps (48 kHz/24 bit) FLAC files
• Higher-resolution recordings: 4608 kbps (96 kHz/24 bit) FLAC files
• Ultra-high resolution recordings: 9216 kbps (192 kHz/24 bit) FLAC files
AT853h,o, AT831c > AT831 (SP-CMC-2) > SP-SPSB-1 > JB3
Shows on the Archive: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Dave%20Hora%22

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 07:00:58 PM »
I'm a big fan of Neil's music, but IMO this is a misguided project funded by the labels so they can re-sell old releases in an unnecessary format. I know that Neil feels in his heart that it's the right thing to do, but I'd like to see if he could ABX these files from the 44.1/16 files. I have done ABX testing and cannot tell the difference.

Here is an old article, but still relevant to the subject. It has links to a few papers where double-blind testing showed that listeners could not perceive any difference between higher resolution files and 44.1/16.

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 08:07:51 PM »
This is a big fail so far, if the name wasn't bad enough it's too expensive and too ugly!  What were they thinking when they came up with the shape and colors of the thing, had to have been designed by committee   :facepalm:

Looks like 'ole' Neil is gonna let us down on this unless the name and form factor changes along with a price drop before it's actually released.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 08:42:45 PM »
I am glad it's flac based but there are to many other alternatives on the market in the same price range - I don't see this going anywhere other than offering another hires PCM Webstore (maybe some new catalogs will be avail in hires PCM - such as Neil's) - the player is vaporware imo.

You can get apps (such as the Onkyo Player) that play back hires FLAC and even DSD files back on an iphone or andriod phone - and even interface them with a portable Headphone amp such as the sony PHA2 ($550) and get full quality of the DSD or hires PCM.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 08:44:50 PM by H₂O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline coloartist

• Trade Count: (13)
  • MGoldey -"you can shove those mics up your ass
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 09:08:32 PM »
The shape of the player is ridiculous . Who wants a triangular player to fit in your pocket?
mk4>Kwon/din a/din>kc5>cmc6>kindkables XLR>788T
mk22>Kwon/NOS>kc5>cmc6>kindkablesXLR>788t                                                     
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       
Samsung Backlit LED 55">Pioneer Elite SC-27>Snell Acoustics E.5  Series

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 08:49:19 AM »
I have the Fiio X3...it's been a very underwhelming experience sadly.  Based on multiple reviews, I hoped that it would blow the Rio Karma out of the water.  Nope.  Not even close.  It's simply lackluster.  Far too sterile for my tastes. Ironically, in reviews people describe the sound signature as warm and then I saw the frequency response...it's pretty flat.  Plus, the controls are awful.  I really wish the Rio Karma chipset was re-used in a high end player.  That sucker sounded incredible.

Oh, the X3 is being returned today.  Guess I'll just settle for a iPod classic  :-\
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 02:02:46 AM »
Here's a recording of Neil at SXSW explaining his background and philosophy for developing Pono:
http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=289435279&m=289465657

Honestly, if this gets the common person to understand 24/192 and the difference between it and a 256k mp3, it will be worth it.  If it makes artists be sure to record masters at 24/192 instead of 24/48, it will be worth it. 
To be successful, I'm sure they'll need to evolve the product and the specs, but if they offer a webstore competing with itunes or amazon where I can download an album at 24/192, I'll use it.  For sure.
Not sure that I'll buy a Pono player though.

I guess I thought it was a new format or standard before listening to his explanation.  And kind of funny that tapers were at the forefront of this stuff years before this gets released to the masses.

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 09:18:52 AM »
One of the main problems with commercial music nowadays is the way it's mastered, not the way it's listened to.  I can't remember the last time I ripped a commercial music file into my DAW and it wasn't fairly close to being a solid block.  So what if I listen to a POS master file at 24/192!  It's one of the many reasons I prefer listening to live stuff we record over the commerical shit the 'pros' put out.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 11:53:21 AM »
I'm a big fan of Neil's music, but IMO this is a misguided project funded by the labels so they can re-sell old releases in an unnecessary format. I know that Neil feels in his heart that it's the right thing to do, but I'd like to see if he could ABX these files from the 44.1/16 files. I have done ABX testing and cannot tell the difference.

Here is an old article, but still relevant to the subject. It has links to a few papers where double-blind testing showed that listeners could not perceive any difference between higher resolution files and 44.1/16.

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

+1 all around.

This is DOA in my book.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 12:20:43 PM »
Apparently the triangular shape was to enable use of large output capacitors, at least from the picture on the Kickstarter. 

It could be using Prism light beam dispersion to deliver the full spectrum of sound.

Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 05:02:54 PM »
Apparently the triangular shape was to enable use of large output capacitors, at least from the picture on the Kickstarter. 

It could be using Prism light beam dispersion to deliver the full spectrum of sound.

That wuz my first thought, too...... :P :yack: :spin:
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 05:37:52 PM »
Endorsed by Jack White in the Kickstarter video.  Considering his Intense Volume War approach to producing records they could have left out his celebrity endorsement.

A peek inside...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com