Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: jb3 external power II...  (Read 73022 times)

Offline bagtagsell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
Re: jb3 external power II...
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2005, 01:02:03 PM »
i'd prolly snatch up one if leegedy wasnt making some demo units to be tested of his VR box

competition sucks for everyone but the consumer (j/k).
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

jimmc

« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2005, 12:23:43 AM »
Well my little DIY project for the day was to build a VR like lee's.  But I got to thinking about powering my jb3 with stuff I had around the house.  I use to power my JB3 with an SLA>Radio Shack Car Adaptor with mulit voltage setting set on 4.5.  I began thinking why wire a board when I can just hack this thing.  So here is my latest solution.  It runs on a Walmart Lion battery.

Parts:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F009%5F001%5F002%5F004&product%5Fid=273%2D1811
(I had the older model with a wheel like selector)
Walmart Lion battery
Power cable from Lion battery
butt connectors
wire striper

Open up the car adaptor.  Cut the read and black wires attached to the cigarett plug (Cut them as close to the cigaret plug as possible).  Strip off 1/2 and inch on insulation.  Hack the lion cable, cut it as close the tip as possible.  The tip opposite of the one that plugs into the battery.  Use a butt connector to connect the red wires from the cable and the red wire from the car adaptor.  Do the same with the black.  Screw the car adaptor back together and you are ready to go to town.  If you dont use the Lion battery form walmart you can use RC batteries, but but use a female connector.  Its really easy.

I took my dremel and hollowed out the old cigaret molding, so it protects my butt connectors.  Just b/c I could.

Bagtagsell,
I just finished doing the mod that you described a few pages back (page 4) and just wanted to give
you a HUGE + Friggin' T for posting this !!!!!!!
It only took about 15mins to do, and it worked like a charm.
Also, just to let everyone know, the power adapter that is in the pics on page 4, is being discontinued, so I was able to buy it on clearance for $9.95.
Also, the specs for the adapter I bought were that it was a 1.2amp adapter. I think this is probably the minimum that will work. Yesterday, I had a sony car lighter adapter just collecting dust at home, so I tried to hack that instead of buying one. It was a 4.5v w/ 1amp, but it didnt work.  It scrolled through the Creative screen, then to the EAX screen, but that is as far as it went, then it turned off and repeated the same thing over and over. W/ the 1.2 amp adapter, it fired right up just like it had AC power or the internal batts.
Total cost in parts was ~$15.  $9.95 for the adapter, and $3.95 for the adapta-plug to fit the JB3.
Pretty awesome since the JB3 replacement batts are ~$60/each now.
Oh, I am using the Wally World 9v batt if I didnt already mention it.  Now to do some testing tomorrow w/ the Wally World batt fully charged to see what the record time length is.
My JB3 batt issue is no more!!!!!!
Again... Huge +T.
Jim :)

I just finished testing the Wal-Mart 9v connected to my JB3 via bagtagsell's mod.
Here is the setup that I ran:
Sharp MD-MT15 (headphone out) > UA-5 (rear analog in jacks, optical out) > JB3 (optical in @ .wav 44.1 kHz)
The Wal-Mart 9v was charged straight from the package to full charge.

I made 7 recordings using this setup. I also powered the JB3 off and on 4 times during the test. IR Remote setting was "off", backlight was off and headphone volume was zero. Here are the lengths of the tracks.

Track 1:  2hrs 50mins - Wal-Mart 9v showed 3 of the 4 lights still lit on the meter after the recording was done.
Track 2:  2hrs 50mins - Wal-Mart 9v showed 3 of the 4 lights still lit on the meter after the recording was done.
Track 3:  2hrs 24mins - Wal-Mart 9v showed 2 of the 4 lights still lit on the meter after the recording was done.
Track 4:  1hr  30mins - Wal-Mart 9v showed 2 of the 4 lights still lit on the meter after the recording was done.
Track 5:  2hrs 25mins - Wal-Mart 9v showed 2 of the 4 lights still lit on the meter after the recording was done.
Track 6:  2hrs 40mins - Wal-Mart 9v showed 2 of the 4 lights still lit on the meter after the recording was done.
Track 7:  2hrs 02mins - Wal-Mart 9v showed only the RED light on the meter after the recording was done.
Total record time:  16hrs 41mins.

Not sure how much longer it would have run w/ just the red light showing on the 9v batt.  I stopped the test as soon as I noticed the meter was down to just the red light.

Anyway, I had no idea it would last this long while recording. I think that is way more than I will ever need, but nice to know its there if I need it.
Hope this is helpful to everyone.  Feel free to ask any questions if I wasnt clear enough. Cant wait to field test this setup.
Jim
Thanks again to everyone who has added to this topic.  :)

Offline aberg

• Needs to get out more...
  • Team Canada
« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2005, 09:09:53 AM »
So what are you powering your UA-5 with then? Another 9v? Look into one of leegeddy's junction boxes, or wire up that adapter so you can have to outputs... run both your jb3 and ua-5 off the same batt...

jimmc

« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2005, 12:25:47 PM »
So what are you powering your UA-5 with then? Another 9v? Look into one of leegeddy's junction boxes, or wire up that adapter so you can have to outputs... run both your jb3 and ua-5 off the same batt...

I own 2 of the Wal-mart 9v batts. One runs the UA-5, the other the JB3.

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #94 on: January 08, 2005, 01:09:09 PM »
Dang,
I can't win for trying.
I returned the adapter from best buy that only did 1000 mah
Bought a new one from wallyworld that does 2000 but it claims
12 vdc input only and they did not have any other adapters that had over 1000 mah
then that one. SO I buy it bring it home. Screwed up on the tip polarity again
and the lithium dies. Bring out the other lithium and still no juice.
At this point I can't wait to see this bumblee VR get into production phase.
I tried the ratshack adapter and the thing went POP, upon opening up it had the distinct
smell of something going poof. I must have something crossed but I don't know what.
white to white black to black is pretty simple. Mess up on the tip just reverse it, and try again.  For something so simple I sure in the hell am doing a great job of bungling it.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2005, 07:43:06 PM »
Dang,
I can't win for trying.
I returned the adapter from best buy that only did 1000 mah
Bought a new one from wallyworld that does 2000 but it claims
12 vdc input only and they did not have any other adapters that had over 1000 mah
then that one. SO I buy it bring it home. Screwed up on the tip polarity again
and the lithium dies. Bring out the other lithium and still no juice.
At this point I can't wait to see this bumblee VR get into production phase.
I tried the ratshack adapter and the thing went POP, upon opening up it had the distinct
smell of something going poof. I must have something crossed but I don't know what.
white to white black to black is pretty simple. Mess up on the tip just reverse it, and try again.  For something so simple I sure in the hell am doing a great job of bungling it.

get a multi meter, save yourself a lot of trouble
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2005, 01:29:35 PM »
get a multi meter, save yourself a lot of trouble
qft
just being cheap for something I might use 6 mths from now again.
Trying to look around for a friend who will let me use theirs.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline fozzy

« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2005, 04:57:08 PM »
i use mine all the time surprizingly best $10-15 i have spent.

RS part # 22-218  $15.49

i think i got one very similar for $8 at harbor freight tools

Offline sethro

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2005, 09:02:00 PM »
Sunday afternoon fun

I forget which jb3 power thread I posted on before, but it seems like this one is getting the most traffic now.  My idea is to hack apart an internal battery, take out the cell, attach wires to the internal leads, run them out the back of the battery casing with a plug on the end which fits a 3.6v battery. 

I was waiting for inspiration until the battery I got with my jb3 died. I almost sent it back to Creative for warranty replacement.  They wouldn't take back just the battery, I would have had to send my whole unit in, no telling how long that would take.  With more Swing Set shows coming up I wasn't going to risk it, so I brought out the soldering gun and multimeter. ;D

It took alot of tinkering but I got a 3.6v NiMh battery to power up the device through an internal port.  The battery is 4000mAh which is better than twice the capacity of the stock batteries (as far as I can tell).  For $24 this battery is about 1/4 the cost per mAh as those through Creative.

I plan to test how long the battery will last and other variables such as putting in/taking out other internals from the other port with the custom one in, as well as running it till it dies to see if it will shut down gracefully and save the data it has recorded before shutting off.

The next challenge is how to recharge 3.6v.  My best solution so far is to make two of these packs (each consist of three 1.2v cells) and wire them with two leads out.  One 3.6v and the other 7.2v.  Then I should be able to use a generic RC recharger from Radio Shack to send 7.2v in.  Although, leegeddy's junction box could sure come in handy here if one of the out puts could be 3.6v. 

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #99 on: January 10, 2005, 12:18:11 AM »
someone needs to test this puppy with the ua5->jb3  since both of you guys are running v3...

i will hum(bum)blee offer my services   ;) ;D

the VERY first BBP VR-JBOX has been shipped to razorback. tested it on the bench: Vin was +/-12v, V1out=5.01v, V2out=input. 
have fun with it and hope it minimizes the bulk of your power supply.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #100 on: January 10, 2005, 12:40:23 AM »
+T marc, cant wait for mine ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #101 on: January 10, 2005, 01:41:46 AM »

thanks bean.

your jbox is sitting on my desk. now get off your arse and send those rc packs :)

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #102 on: January 10, 2005, 02:50:19 AM »

thanks bean.

your jbox is sitting on my desk. now get off your arse and send those rc packs :)

marc

hehe, suite :)

i know, hopefully it shouldnt be too much longer :'(
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline fozzy

« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2005, 10:20:14 AM »
succesfully ran (sans busted optical cable) the JB3 w/ a hosa ODL-276 and modSBM1 off 2 7.2v RC packs.  1st night Radiators, 2nd night Radio broadcast.

JB3 @ 5v - via hacked RS voltage regulator
SBM1 @ 6v - via 1.2a homemade LDO 6v circuit
hosa @ 9v - via homemade bost circuit
all mounted into an altoids tin w/ hardwired input and outputs.

2 packs gets me in the neighborhood of 9 hours.  and I can charge 2 packs in 45 minutes.

This week i plan on re-making the above to see if i can get it into a smaller package. 

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2005, 10:52:15 AM »
the VERY first BBP VR-JBOX has been shipped to razorback. tested it on the bench: Vin was +/-12v, V1out=5.01v, V2out=input. 
have fun with it and hope it minimizes the bulk of your power supply.

marc

SCHAWEET!   Ill test this as soon as I get it...and post results on here...THANX a TON marc!!!

Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com