Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Salamander Audio Racks?  (Read 2676 times)

Offline moellenium

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
Salamander Audio Racks?
« on: November 07, 2008, 06:53:37 PM »
Anyone out there using any A/V furniture from Salamander?  I'm looking to put together my first higher end rack and these seem like a good place to start.  I'll probably pick up the Archetype 5.0 in cherry and go from there.  It looks like they have a lot of options for add ons in terms of hiding cables and general aesthetic.  Here's a link if you want to check it out:

http://www.buildsalamander.com/archetype/archetype.jsp?modelbase=a5

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm open to them.  I would prefer to hear about pieces that I can add onto later and I'm looking to spend about $500 to begin with.  I'm looking for an attractive wood rack to house the following:

Denon AVR-3802 Receiver
Tascam DVRA1000 DSD DVD Deck
AR Dual 604 Turn Table
15" Macintosh Powerbook Titanium
2 1TB G-Drive Firewire Hard Drives (I'll probably end up adding more of these as I have been archiving all of my DATs and CDs to apple lossless the last year)
A new amp to be added next month
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 04:09:26 PM by moellenium »

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
Re: Salamander Audio Racks?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 11:30:31 PM »
I feel like this could be a good DIY project.  Someone here did a very similar rack with boards and threaded copper rods.
mics & cameras

Offline jimmyrow

• Uploader Slowpokerus
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 190 Years of Athletic Mediocrity
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 02:43:36 AM »
I have had the EXACT archetype rack you are looking at for many years now.    It is a beautiful and functional piece of furniture.   You will be very pleased!!
I just can't find the time to write my mind the way I want it to read.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 06:06:28 AM »
I feel like this could be a good DIY project.  Someone here did a very similar rack with boards and threaded copper rods.

That was Moke. Thought pics might be in the DIY thread on the Team boards but it wasn't so it must have it's own thread. Impressive results and even with the copper pipe sleeving over the threaded rods, the whole project was considerably cheaper than the Archetype kit. Of course if you don't have the tools to cut the pieces for DIY, the kit is the way to go.

< found the thread complete with some pics of the build and some close-ups of some of the hardware, it was hiding in the playback forums: http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,104644.0.html >
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 06:17:02 AM by flipp »

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 10:57:25 AM »
There are actually a lot of threads on the audio forums for building this exact type of rack. Check the forums & look for flex rack.

http://www.audiogon.com/index.html

http://www.audioasylum.com/index.html
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 06:59:44 PM »
I'm thinking of selling mine (which is a Target) for super cheep!

http://noahbickart.fastmail.fm/RigPics/

-Noah
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline moellenium

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 10:32:21 PM »
I ended up going with the Archetype 5.0 in black, so it matches my TV stand and speakers.  I'll probably upgrade to the cherry shelves, or make my own (I've just started getting into carpentry, having built an oak bar with my roommate last year) and sell the black ones when I put some serious cash into building a listening room in the next year or two.  The rack and the wiring accessories will be here on Wednesday, I'll post some pics when I have it up and running.  Thanks for the suggestions and links to posts.  I'd throw you all tickets if I could.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com