Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audio Upgrade Advice  (Read 1503 times)

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
Audio Upgrade Advice
« on: December 07, 2005, 03:28:28 PM »
I want to upgrade my audio playback.  I have a multi-channel home theater system that is adequate for my home theater (and occasional multi channel audio) needs.

My first question is:  Should I be thinking of a separate system for 2 channel audio listening, or can I upgrade some aspect of my current system to improve audio playback?  Eventually I will probably go with a separate system because high end multi-channel systems are beyond my financial means as well as beyond my needs.

Current System:

Toshiba 4960 > Harmony Audio DIP > Yamaha HTR-5590 AV Receiver > Whatmough Magnum Series Home Theatre Speaker System & Yamaha Sub-Woofer.

I purchased the receiver and speakers on Audiogon.  The receiver is rated 100 W x 6.  I use a digital coax cable to input the 24/96 signal from the DIP to the receiver's DAC.  The speakers were inexpensive (400 for front (2), surround (2), and center (1)).  They perform as well as you expect for inexpensive home theatre speakers.  For video and multi channel audio I use a separate Samsung DVD player.

Options I'm Considering:

1. New Speakers.  Everybody says speakers are the most important component.  A pair of higher quality speakers is an obvious choice.  I have a modest budget.  Can I get speakers for under $1,000 that will really improve the sound of the rest of my current playback system?  Also, do I replace my current mains and use the new pair for both home theatre and listening.  Or else, do I use the new pair for audio only (with the B speaker output on my receiver) and keep the existing speakers for home theatre?  I'm not too thrilled with the idea of setting up another pair of speakers next to my current mains.

2.  Benchmark DAC-1.  I like this option, but it probably makes more sense to upgrade the speakers first.  I'm thinking of two possible uses for the Benchmark DAC.   First, I can run it with my current system. Instead of using the on-board DAC in the receiver I would run:

4960 > DIP > DAC1> Reveiver (analog in)

My other use is more long-term, as I move towards a separate system for 2-channel audio.  The Benchmark has a variable gain control and can be used without a separate pre-amp.  I have an old Carver M400a power amp that I purchased new in 1984 that I can use to power a system.  The Carver has lots of power (200 W/channel) and sounds pretty good.  Of course, I'd need speakers and eventually would upgrade the amp.  I probably can't afford to get new speakers and the DAC right away, but I think this would be a pretty nice (relatively low budget) 2 channel playback system:

4960 > DIP > DAC1 > M400a > speakers

Other Options:

I'm trying to think of a way to take advantage of the Carver power amp with my current receiver's pre-amp section and new speakers.  Unfortunately, the receiver does not have a pre-amp level output.  It has a zone 2 output that appears to be a pre-out (made for controlling playback in another room) that I can use with the Carver.  However, according to my owners manual, the zone 2 out can only be used with analog inputs.  So, I'd be stuck using the on-board DAC on the 4960 and could not use the DIP if I tried this.

I also thought that maybe I could use the Whatmough main speakers with both the receiver and the M400.  I would buy the DAC and set up the DAC > M400 system.  Then I would find a switch that allows me to choose which source powers the speakers.  This option seems less practical because I'd still be using the low quality speakers.  I also suspect that the switch would add noise to the system.

Any other ideas?  Any suggestions for speakers that I should audition?

http://db.etree.org/lds490
Open: Studio Projects C-1s-> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> Addonics Pocket EX
Stealth: AT 831 -> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> IBM Microdrive

Offline Daryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Audio Upgrade Advice
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 03:54:16 PM »
I would get new speakers first.  The DAC in my opinion is like changing icing on top of a cake from vanilla to slightly more vanilla, while chaging speakers will have a much greater impact on the overall presentation of the reproduced sound.  There are literally hundred's of options on the 'gon for under 1000 that would sound great.  Everyone here will tell you to go get Von S's, but I would encourage you to listen or at minimum read reviews before purchasing.  The great thing about buying from audiogon on the used market, is that if you feel you could do better or just want to make a change, you won't lose much if any $$$. 

I am not farmiliar at all with your current system, in fact I don't believe I have heard of the manufacturer for that matter, so I cannot say as to what demension of improvement you will get.

I would replace the two main towers to start with, and move up the audio ladder from there.  If the zone 2 deal truly is a pre out under a different monicker, you could connect the pre to a decent 2 channel amplifier and run the mains through there.  This would probably be your best bet quite honestly. 

What is it that you do not like about your current system?

What kind of music do you listen to and more importantly, what charchteristics of the entire presentation are you striving to achieve?

D~
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com