Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Headphone Suggestions  (Read 3670 times)

Offline hhf32

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Headphone Suggestions
« on: March 07, 2006, 09:59:48 PM »
I'm looking to pick up a pair of headphones for under $100. I will be using them for playback on a portable cd player and or my receiver at home. I have been leaning towards the Grado SR 80's but would love to get some other suggestions too. 
AKG 461's>digimod UA5>JB3

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: Headphone Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 10:14:43 PM »
Most natural sound is from 'open-air' headphones as opposed to using closed type "cans", but these give you NO isolation from outside sounds so use for all day wearing comfort and pleasure in quieter spaces. 

Sony seems the best for producing phones with low ohms that play loud enough on portable gear.  My favorite is (now vintage) Sony MDR-F1, but recently Sony upgraded their open audiophile-quality type phones to new models that seem based on the F1, but with much higher frequency ability. 

I have yet to try, but look at ~$125-$150 street price MDR-SA 1000 as a good bet in an open phone with 8-80,000 cycle frequency ability that is least costing of newer MDR-SA line of headphones that includes the 1000, 3000, and 5000 models.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 08:29:22 AM »
Grado SR-60 - open headphone
Sony MDR-V6 (or 7506)- closed headphone

There's many others out there, check out: www.headphone.com
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline hhf32

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 04:14:05 PM »
Thanks for the input. Now gloco, why the sr-60 over the sr-80 recommendation? I've heard mixed reviews about the sr 80's being powered by portable devices, is that why?

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 06:04:35 PM »
If you're going to go the Grado route I think the best option would be the Alessandro MS-1.  To my ears it sounds much more natural than the SR-60 or SR-80.

http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html

Offline George

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 07:28:52 PM »
Thanks for the input. Now gloco, why the sr-60 over the sr-80 recommendation? I've heard mixed reviews about the sr 80's being powered by portable devices, is that why?

Some people feel that the sr80's need an amp to really shine.  I found the treble tightened up a bit as well as the bass.  I guess it's a matter of best bang for the buck, the leap from the 60's to the 80's isn't that big, so some people frown upon the 80's.  The sr60's are a slammin headphone, i've been listening to them with my iriver h-140 and my rio karma and both devices do a great job of driving them.  As Nick pointed out, the MS-1's are often looked at the best thing to get since they are more neutral sounding than the Grado lineup.  The MS-1's are basically a fine tuned sr80/sr125, many head-fiers swear by them.  I'd probably go with those right now, although, I haven't heard them yet.

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 07:45:45 PM »
Ear canal phones might not be the first choice for at-home listening, but for the price, the Etymotic ER-6 are hard to beat.  I've got a pair of ER-6, Grado SR-60s, and Sennheiser 600s, and while the 600s are the 'phones I pull out most often at home, the Etymotics are the first choice at the gym, while taking public transportation, etc.  If I had to own just one pair for $100, it would be the ER-6.

FYI - I got mine before an ER-6i existed, so I can't make that particular comparison.  I have compared the SR-60 vs. 80, and I find the 60s to be much more neutral, even when powered by a Headroom Supreme.  If I was going to get an amp and upgraded Grados from the 60s, I'd spring for the 125s, or check out those Alessandros.

- Jason

Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline B

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 07:34:02 PM »
the Sony MDR-7506 headphones are freakin great for 100 bucks.  my pair has treated me well for about two years now - no problems - all tunes.

Offline ambo

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2006, 09:44:20 AM »
Check out the FS on head-fi.org. For unamped, Grado or Allesandro are you're best bet. Sony 7506 are great monitoring headphones  and closed, so you can use them for recording as well. Sound is not as good as open grados, senns etc... but can be driven easily without an amp. I got a pair of used Senn SP25-1 on head-fi for $120 last year and if you can find these they are great for monitoring and listening-closed, easy to drive and gradoish in sound.

BobW

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2006, 10:51:39 AM »
As a Team Sennheiser Cans represenatative, I'd say you need HD-280s
and if you can go up to the 580's, you'll be very pleased for years.

Give them a listen !

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2006, 10:56:10 AM »
I hadn't realized that a pair of HD-580s can be had for $150 (at least from B&H with free shipping).  Now that's what I call a steal for headphones of that sound quality.

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline George

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2006, 02:27:02 PM »
I hadn't realized that a pair of HD-580s can be had for $150 (at least from B&H with free shipping).  Now that's what I call a steal for headphones of that sound quality.

- Jason

Agreed, but hhf32 may want to avoid them if he's looking for a portable headphone.  The 7506's (or MDR-V6) are a great headphone too, they give you a little isolation too unlike the Grado's, and are very efficient.

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline hhf32

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2006, 07:34:02 AM »
I just wanted to say thanks for all the help and +T's all around. I ended up going with the Grado SR80's. I was kind of limited as to where to buy as $80 of what I was going to spend was in a mall gift certificate. Cambridge Soundworks carried the Grado's as well as some Senns and Koss Portapro. Most of my listening with them will be at home, so I wasn't too concerned with isolation.
  The Grado's are definitely some nice sounding headphones. I've been very happy with them so far.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2006, 07:56:49 AM »
i'll put the $19 Sennheiser 201s up against just about anything suggested here.
definetely look into them.  what the hell...they are so cheap, they make for a great beater pair at least.

Offline shruggy1987

• Taperssection Member
  • Team Ithaca
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2006, 12:21:37 AM »
i need a new beater pair...my AKG K 55's just crapped out on me and are too expensive to replace for my uses for them.
hmm
SP LSD2 > bm2 UA-5 (coax out) > M-Audio Microtrack
SP LSD2 > bm2 UA-5 > MacBook Pro

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com