Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: stealth taping -- rain  (Read 26408 times)

Offline bonghitwillie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: stealth taping -- rain
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2019, 09:00:56 PM »
having your mics under a poncho changes the tonal quality (for the worse). almost impossible to eq out. i know from experience. alot of times the cover over the stage extends out into the audience a little. that is the best place to be.

ThePiedPiper

« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2019, 09:04:16 PM »
I use these and have had nice results. Just my 2 cents.

https://www.ebay.com/i/232770611611?chn=ps&var=532283265586

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2019, 02:23:57 PM »

Finger condoms! Mics sound ok through those?

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2019, 12:02:06 AM »

Might need the real deal for some mics.  Size matters.   ;D

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2019, 02:50:51 AM »

Might need the real deal for some mics.  Size matters.   ;D

the other day i was at the drug store and the girl behind the counter said "wow arent those a little... big?"

i just sniffed like ralph ferley and said "well little girl, not everybody out there is packing large diaphragm equipment"
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

ThePiedPiper

« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2019, 04:52:14 AM »

I recorded TOTO / Kansas through one hell of a storm and these little things did the trick.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2019, 04:37:35 AM »
Go Pro Sennheiser MKE2 elements.They have an MKE2 capsule (4.5mm diameter) behind a 10mm protective diaphragm.The diaphragm is glued on top, with a small gap between it and the underlying capsule.The coupling is very well done, with a thin "damping layer" as well.
If you want waterproof indestructible capsules, these are what you need.
As I mentioned in another post, these mics run a bit "hot" so best to use a battery box and put them line in for loud shows.
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2019, 06:51:56 AM »

I recorded TOTO / Kansas through one hell of a storm and these little things did the trick.

These have some powder on the inside, right? Do you use the protection inside out?
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline pillowman

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.openingtime.lima-city.de
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2019, 12:20:08 PM »
interesting input to this topic from mr ThePiedPiper ...
like to read more about, ... would be awesome to learn more about this
because the festival season is just knockin' on the door  :shrug:
cu
pillowman
RECORDERS: Sony PCM-A10 / 3x Sony PCM-M10 / TASCAM DR-2d / Sony NH 600 / Sharp MD-MT180(H) / Sony MZ-R35
MICS: LINE AUDIO CM3, AT853c, ATU853c, hc  (4.7k mod) / Sony ECM-717 / 3x Sennheiser ME104
BBox's: Denecke PS-2 / SP-SPSB-9 / SP-SPSB-10 / SP-SPSB-20 / Soundman A3

trading page: www.openingtime.lima-city.de

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2019, 12:48:00 PM »
Not stealth but open.. One reason I converted my open-taping 8 microphone multichannel rig to all miniature DPA (except a single Naiant X8S) is not having to worry about the environmental impacts of field use damaging the microphones- the impact of dust, humidity and rain primarily.  I only need to concern myself with the short term sonic issues of minimizing rain droplet noise and keeping the windscreens from becoming saturated.  The 4098 and 4061 microphones I'm using in this rig are the legacy versions, so I'm not sure they achieve the same IP58 rated resistance to dust, moisture, and immersion of the newer CORE versions (see below), yet the 4061 pair which that rig evolved around have survived total immersion for at least an hour.. while still recording.. believe it or not without appreciable audible effect!

Story on that (which I've posted elsewhere at TS, years ago)- Before I trusted exposing the 4061 pair to rain I used to occasionally put finger cots over them and their miniature windscreens.  I did that because due to the wide omni spacing I was using it was impractical to use either a single huge-diameter stand umbrella, or to try an mount individual tiny umbrellas over each microphone.  This seemed a good solution to effectively "water-proof" the microphones and indeed it kept the mics dry in several heavy rain situations, yet once at an outdoor festival in Northern Florida I had run back to camp, and while away from the rig the only non-taper-friendly act of the festival took the stage requiring all stands to be lowered to chair height.  The sound guy and other tapers helped lower my rig, including lowering the hinged telescopic arms at the end of which were the 4061s in taped-sealed finger cots, so that the arms no longer extended out horizontally but instead hung on either side of the stand pointing straight down. During that set a heavy rain storm moved in and copious amounts of water ran down the folded telescopic arms and made its way past the seeming tight tape-seals of the finger cots, slowing filling them with water until they formed miniature water balloons with the microphones inside. The recorder was buried in the recording bag, placed inside a thick plastic garbage bag, with cables routed so as to form a drip-loop, and carried on recording.  I expected the microphones to be completely waterlogged, requiring a night packed in desiccant to be operational the following day, yet they were not only operational, the recording didn't even seem to suffer for it (it did of course suffer from the mics being lowered close to the ground, below a row of chairs, separated only by a few inches).  That evening I gave them a distilled water swizzle cleaning and let them dry out completely overnight.  The recorder was buried deep in its bag inside a thick plastic garbage bag and carried on recording.  They are still going strong now ~10 years later.  To me this served as good, if unwanted proof of their environmental toughness.

Copied from the DPA website-

4. How durable is the CORE by DPA technology?
DPA miniature microphones are used in a wide range of environments, some rougher than others. For this reason, we go a long way to ensure that they have the durability that our users have come to expect. Durability and robustness are inherent in the mechanical design of the mics, which is aimed at minimizing the impact of exposure to heat, cold, tension, water, sweat, and dust, to mention a few.

This durability is achieved through a number of defense mechanisms. Water-repellant nano-coating of the cover and housing, hermetic sealing of the sensitive amplifier at the core of the microphone, and dual gold plating of the diaphragm ensure maximum stability and performance under the toughest environmental conditions.

With the introduction of CORE by DPA technology, DPA's miniature and subminiature microphones have been tested* against the international standard IEC 60529:2013 edition 2.2: “Degrees of protection provided by enclosures (IP Code)” resulting in a IP58 rating:

First digit: Solid particle protection = class 5
Ingress of dust does not interfere with the functionality of the microphone and will produce no permanent harmful effects.

Second digit: Liquid ingress protection = class 8
Submersion of the microphone into one meter of water for three hours will produce no permanent harmful effects. Note that the frequency response and sensitivity will be naturally affected by the water during submersion.

All DPA d:screet™ , d:fine™ and d:vote™ series microphones with CORE by DPA technology are IP58 certified.

*The test was carried out by Force Technology, a third party, certified institute in Denmark.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Copied from http://www.dsmt.com/resources/ip-rating-chart/

Ingress Protection (IP rating) and what it means
The IP Code (or International Protection Rating, sometimes also interpreted as Ingress Protection Rating*) consists of the letters IP followed by two digits and an optional letter. As defined in international standard IEC 60529, it classifies the degrees of protection provided against the intrusion of solid objects (including body parts like hands and fingers), dust, accidental contact, and water in electrical enclosures. The standard aims to provide users more detailed information than vague marketing terms such as waterproof.

The digits (characteristic numerals) indicate conformity with the conditions summarized in the tables below. For example, an electrical socket rated IP22 is protected against insertion of fingers and will not be damaged or become unsafe during a specified test in which it is exposed to vertically or nearly vertically dripping water. IP22 or 2X are typical minimum requirements for the design of electrical accessories for indoor use.

*Explanation of the letters IP is given in IEC 60529 (Ed. 2.1), clause 4.1

First Digit: Solids
The first digit indicates the level of protection that the enclosure provides against access to hazardous parts (e.g., electrical conductors, moving parts) and the ingress of solid foreign objects.

Level   Object size protected against   Effective against
0   Not protected   No protection against contact and ingress of objects
1   >50mm   Any large surface of the body, such as the back of the hand, but no protection against deliberate contact with a body part.
2   >12.5mm   Fingers or similar objects.
3   >2.5mm   Tools, thick wires, etc.
4   >1mm   Most wires, screws, etc.
5   Dust Protected   Ingress of dust is not entirely prevented, but it must not enter in sufficient quantity to interfere with the satisfactory operation of the equipment; complete protection against contact.
6   Dust Tight   No ingress of dust; complete protection against contact.

Second Digit: Liquids
Protection of the equipment inside the enclosure against harmful ingress of water.

Level   Object size protected against   Effective against
0   Not protected   –
1   Dripping water   Dripping water (vertically falling drops) shall have no harmfull effect.
2   Dripping water when tilted up to 15°   Vertically dripping water shall have no harmful effect when the enclosure is tilted at an angle up to 15° from its normal position.
3   Spraying water   Water falling as a spray at any angle up to 60° from the vertical shall have no harmful effect.
4   Splashing water   Water splashing against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effect.
5   Water jets   Water projected by a nozzle (6.3mm) against enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects.
6   Powerful water jets   Water projected in powerful jets (12.5mm nozzle) against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects.
7   Immersion up to 1m   Ingress of water in harmful quantity shall not be possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under defined conditions of pressure and time (up to 1 m of submersion).
8   Immersion beyond 1m   The equipment is suitable for continuous immersion in water under conditions which shall be specified by the manufacturer. Normally, this will mean that the equipment is hermetically sealed. However, with certain types of equipment, it can mean that water can enter but only in such a manner that it produces no harmful effects.
[/b]
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline furburger

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2019, 03:31:39 PM »
if you don't mind looking like an idiot (which of course I've never had a problem with)...a wide brimmed hat or two ball caps, one brim over each ear, has always worked for me.

and put the 'ghetto rain coat' (garbage bag with 3 holes) on BEFORE starting the recorder....if those are too crinkly, find a soft rain poncho that makes little noise.
-------------
people who are fans of the music, they LOVE what I document and capture...people who are fans of themselves....not so much.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2019, 09:57:19 PM »
The word from Bruce Myers *regarding the 406x series (paraphrased, but asked of him multiple times, and answered directly to me):
To clean them, immerse them in distilled water, swizzle them to remove contaminants, shake them out, plug them in to assist in drying.

They'll be deaf until they're dried out. So make sure that you have that kind of lead time built into any equation.

*edit - adding clarity

plugging in wet mics is terrifying to me

i miss bruce, was always so accessible

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2019, 10:17:41 AM »
..plug them in to assist in drying.

plugging in wet mics is terrifying to me

I expect plugging them in will neither hurt, nor expedite the process by much.

The current cleaning recommendations published on the DPA website outline the same process described by Bruce, with the exclusion of plugging them in.  The extent to which plugging them in expedites dying is related to waste heat from power dissipation through the microphone, which is rather miniscule. Consider how long the battery in a battery box lasts powering a pair, which is an indication of how low the power draw is. 

In most cases, as soon as you shake out the water from the grid/housing the microphone will operate correctly.  Water is kept from entering the capsule itself by way of static pressure in combination with the size of the super tiny holes in the face of the small rectangular gold element inside the housing.  Creating a low humidity environment around them by packing them with desiccant packs or rice after shaking them out / patting them dry is good practice to make certain they are completely dried.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline opsopcopolis

« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2019, 10:40:36 AM »
Welp, looks like I'll be stealthing in the rain tonight. Wish me luck :shrug:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com