Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA-5 optical connection possibly broken?  (Read 5192 times)

Offline Dutchman1101

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Needs to get out more...
UA-5 optical connection possibly broken?
« on: May 22, 2005, 05:48:57 PM »
First I must say I new to this and am a total newbie. I just noticed that there is a red light that illuminates from the optical out slot when the power is on. Is there supposed to be a light in the optical in too? Also this might be paranoia but the optical out slot looks different then the optical in slot. Is that like that on anyone else’s UA-5. Like I said before this one is a paranoia question, but I just bought this thing and I'm worried there might be something wrong. Now I must say I have tested this thing out a couple times and it has sounded fine. I would post pics but my digital camera is broken. Thanks in advance  :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 09:45:25 PM by Dutchman1101 »

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
Re: UA-5 optical out/in light question
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 06:05:49 PM »
The light is what carries the signal, and should only be from the out.

The jacks are the same, like you said you're paranoid.

Be sure to leave the little plastic plugs in the optical jacks when you are not using them. You don't want anything getting in there.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline Dutchman1101

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 06:21:01 PM »
The jacks are the same, like you said you're paranoid.

JAson

Thanks for the info. They look the same in terms of the shape but when I look harder at the slots my out looks a little different. Not as clean, like the little metal ring is broken. I don't know maybe that’s the way it is supposed to be because it's the out. Look harder and see if yours is like that. Thanks again.

Offline Dutchman1101

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 09:18:33 PM »
Can someone with a ua-5 maybe take some close up shots of their optical connections so I can see what's up? Like I said before I would gladly post what mine look like but my camera is out of commission. I did e-mail Doug at Oade to ask him what he thinks. Hopefully it’s just me worrying about nothing and not something I have to get fixed. The thing is only a month old.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
Re: UA-5 optical connection possibly broken?
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 12:21:25 AM »
Does this image from the Edirol website help?

Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Dutchman1101

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 07:26:38 AM »
I appreciate the attempt but what I'm for is a close up with those little black things out of the optical slots.

Offline dklein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 09:56:24 AM »
You're probably worrying about nothing.  Besides which, you're not likely to be using the inputs.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Dutchman1101

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 10:45:15 AM »
You're probably worrying about nothing.  Besides which, you're not likely to be using the inputs.

Thanks for the pic!!! It looks to me that yours looks like mine. I probably was worrying about nothing but if any one else can post another close up pic I would really appreciate it. Like I said before I paid allot of money for this thing and am kinda worried. Maybe I should lay off the crack  ;)

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 12:44:14 PM »
if any one else can post another close up pic I would really appreciate it.

Give it a rest man - don't wear out your welcome!
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Dutchman1101

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2005, 01:01:20 PM »
if any one else can post another close up pic I would really appreciate it.

Give it a rest man - don't wear out your welcome!

I appreciate your help but what kind of comment is that. I not trying to start shit but dude uncalled for. I just paid like $600 for this thing and it’s not like there aren’t a shit load of people with these things on here. I figured why not get another look and give it up.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2005, 01:25:19 PM »
what are you looking to clarify? 

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2005, 01:32:45 PM »
I'm a bit confused too. If it sounds fine, what else is there to worry about. Besides, even if you do go out and tape a show and it doesn't turn out, it's not the end of the world.

Did you forget to take your Lithium?

MIKE B
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Dutchman1101

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2005, 02:21:03 PM »
what are you looking to clarify? 

What I'm trying to clarify is why the inner metal ring in the out optical connection looks different from the in. Looking at the picture above that looks like it is normal. All I was trying to figure out if there’s a problem or not.

Did you forget to take your Lithium?

MIKE B

I did  ;)

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2005, 01:22:34 AM »
I appreciate your help but what kind of comment is that. I not trying to start shit but dude uncalled for. I just paid like $600 for this thing and it’s not like there aren’t a shit load of people with these things on here. I figured why not get another look and give it up.

I'm not trying to start anything up - you asked for a close up pic.  I pulled out my camera, shot, cropped and posted an image for you.  How much better is it gonna get?  I understand you're a nervous newbie but what more were you looking for?  A better angle?  I doubt that anyone else is gonna see the point of posting another picture of the same thing.  It's tough out there in taper land but I mean you no harm  ;)
KM 184 > V2 > R4

Offline Dutchman1101

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2005, 09:45:30 AM »

I'm not trying to start anything up - you asked for a close up pic.  I pulled out my camera, shot, cropped and posted an image for you.  How much better is it gonna get?  I understand you're a nervous newbie but what more were you looking for?  A better angle?  I doubt that anyone else is gonna see the point of posting another picture of the same thing.  It's tough out there in taper land but I mean you no harm  ;)

I hear ya man. I really do appreciate the fact you did take that pic for me. From the pic yours looks like mine. I was at work yesterday and was going off memory on what it looked like. I got home and matched it up and honestly they look the same. Like I said I do appreciate your help and no hard feelings. Thanks again.

Harrison

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com