Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Advice on recording setup with Church Audio ST11 Cardioid  (Read 2711 times)

Offline symfan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Advice on recording setup with Church Audio ST11 Cardioid
« on: May 06, 2008, 04:43:14 PM »
Today my new set of Church Cards arrived (yah!  ;D) and end of the month I'm going to use them for my first live recording with them. I want to get it right and some advice would be welcome. I've been taping gigs for about two years now, so I'm not completely new. But the cards are!

My gear: church ST-11 Cards - STC-9000 - iRiver H340.

Positioning
I'm going to record in a good sounding venue, with a capacity of 2.000 people. I'll be standing and I can choose my position.
Is it wise to place myself in front of a speaker stack or is center in front of the mixing desk a better position? And how far away would be a good spot? I know the venue and where it sounds good. But what is the best spot for these mics?

Mounting
Going for stealth so I'm mounting them on a dark cap. Or maybe on my glasses (but that is too visible, I think). On a cap should they be on the sides pointing a little left and right if I stand dead center? (so point them directly at the speakers?) Or would it be better to point them straight forward?
Makes it a lot of difference wether you put them under or on the cap?

Testing in advance
And is there a way to test the recording settings? I'd be disapointed it if the recording would be saturated or distorted. And I realise that with the mics mounted on a cap I can't be looking down at the recording level all the time. I can put on my stereo at home, but that comes no where near the volume during a real live gig.

A lot of questions, but I'm hoping on some advice here.
BTW the venue is the 013 theatre in the Netherlands, anyone with experience there on board?

Marcel
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 04:48:49 PM by symfan »

nameloc01

Re: Advice on recording setup with Church Audio ST11 Cardioid
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 06:34:39 PM »
Triangulate yourself from the stacks (on the floor) points those "cards" toward the source of the sound...probably be outwards and slightly up.be very,very,very still. Piss thoroughly before you begin recording,and its probably a good idea to not do any heavy drinking prior.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 07:28:50 PM »
Triangulate yourself from the stacks (on the floor) points those "cards" toward the source of the sound...probably be outwards and slightly up.be very,very,very still. Piss thoroughly before you begin recording,and its probably a good idea to not do any heavy drinking prior.

Good advice and dont bring anyone you want to talk to. ;D

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 03:48:04 AM »
BTW the venue is the 013 theatre in the Netherlands, anyone with experience there on board?

I have only been to O13 once, about five years ago.  From what I recall, it basically a U-shaped venue, with a fairly large elevated stage in front, followed by a floor space, then a series of U-shaped "steps", with a bar at the top/back.  VERY noisy near the bar.

As luck would have it, I am going to see a show there this Saturday night.  So I will let you know if anything is different from my memory, and if I find a good sounding spot.

Oh, and be aware:  "Geluidsapparatuur mag niet mee naar binnen worden genomen."  (I am assuming you are Dutch?)

Offline symfan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 02:54:15 PM »

I have only been to O13 once, about five years ago.  From what I recall, it basically a U-shaped venue, with a fairly large elevated stage in front, followed by a floor space, then a series of U-shaped "steps", with a bar at the top/back.  VERY noisy near the bar.

As luck would have it, I am going to see a show there this Saturday night.  So I will let you know if anything is different from my memory, and if I find a good sounding spot.

Oh, and be aware:  "Geluidsapparatuur mag niet mee naar binnen worden genomen."  (I am assuming you are Dutch?)

Yep, I'm dutch indeed.  And that's the venue, though there is no u-shape. It goes straight up. I know the 013 very well. Problem is what the best spot would be to record with my new mics. I've taped a couple of shows there already, but my other mic is in one piece (no seperated mics) and soundwise that would make a difference. I think I'll do the triangular position. And my friends will have to be quiet for some time (nice for a chance  ;D)
If you find a good spot, I'd appreciate if you point it out. I'm thinking about the center and then on the first row with steps (free reception).

BTW I'll be there when Asia plays

Offline powermonkey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 05:10:23 PM »
Regarding testing levels, there isn't really a way to do it getting a comparable volume. You can test that everything works, but probably best to use the support band for a quick level check.
Church Audio CA-11s, CA-14 Cards, CA-14 Omnis, Peluso CEMC-6

CA 9200 preamp
FEL BMA-1 Preamp

Edirol R09
Edirol R09HR
Sony M10
Edirol R44

My live recordings.... HERE:

https://www.facebook.com/Liverecordings1

and/or

https://soundcloud.com/liverecordings-1

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 09:51:25 PM »

Perfect. ;)

Really good advice. Except for the drinking part  ;D
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Hahninator

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Rockin' the ATL
    • Linkin Park Live
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 06:43:44 AM »
When I tape with these, I clip them on my hat facing directly forward. For two shows I've had them directly pointed at the stacks and I'm very pleased with the results. It doesn't make THAT much of a difference whether you have them slightly turned to the side or not. Try a few different results and see what you like best.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com