Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stereo At a Big Shed??  (Read 3334 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Stereo At a Big Shed??
« on: November 09, 2009, 01:10:33 PM »
I was just reading another thread where someone was talking about doing M/S at a bigger shed.  That caused me to wonder, is the PA usually mixed for stereo at the bigger venues?  Seems to me that they'd probably be more of a mono mix considering the majority of the audience is in the prox of one or the other of the PA stacks.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Stereo At a Big Shed??
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 01:26:51 PM »
I've seen a true stereo PA (where certain channels onstage are panned to one side or the other) once, and it was at an outdoor festival that accommodated maybe 6k at the main stage. I went back after the first act and chatted with the sound guy and he did it because the area was small enough he could toe in each stack about 10-15 degrees and you would have to be up front and to a side to completely miss the other stack. Even then, he only did hard panning with cymbals/drums and slight panning with vocals/instruments.

Not saying they aren't out there, but from my experience I haven't heard any real stereo at a big shed, just dual mono.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline dgale

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 05:32:27 PM »
Seems like the GD had some level of stereo to their PA mix (?) 
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 05:51:40 PM »
Most touring acts that play in sheds have stereo systems.  I know Dave Matthews Band was one exception although I heard that they have recently changed to a stereo rig.   Obviously, the sign of a good engineer is someone who can use the benefits of stereo but also maintain even coverage to as many seats in the house as he can. 

Many times amphitheaters use delay for fill speakers to cover the lawn or VIP areas.  At big festivals, these delay fills are actually flown line arrays.  Almost all of the time, these speakers are putting out a summed mono signal.  As their name implies, the speaker's signal is delayed a few milliseconds to compensate for the distance between the listener and the main stacks.  Ideally, they will both be heard at the exact same time with no phase effects or cancellation.
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 12:23:36 PM »
I was thinking that both phish and WSP were/are stereo?
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 12:45:25 PM »
Uh....yeah....I'd call it quindraphonic on many nights :-)

Seems like the GD had some level of stereo to their PA mix (?)
#Generalstrike for president in 2024

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 12:47:17 PM »
most PA systems big enough to cover an outdoor shed are run in stereo. i'm not sure who or why someone told you they weren't, but they are. these days, mono is the exception, not the rule. perhaps if we were discussing small nightclubs, you might be right, but not when it comes to "real" PA systems.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 01:04:22 PM »
most PA systems big enough to cover an outdoor shed are run in stereo. i'm not sure who or why someone told you they weren't, but they are. these days, mono is the exception, not the rule. perhaps if we were discussing small nightclubs, you might be right, but not when it comes to "real" PA systems.

Are they just not doing much with it then?
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 01:19:32 PM »

meaning that not a lot of panning goes on? i guess it depends on what band/engineer you are talking about. a lot of times there won't be much panning on the individual input channels, but all the effects are in stereo, so you get the stereo effect sound, but the instruments are mixed in mono so that the audience doesn't loose stage left's sound if they are standing on the stage right side. hope that makes sense.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 04:08:35 PM »

meaning that not a lot of panning goes on? i guess it depends on what band/engineer you are talking about. a lot of times there won't be much panning on the individual input channels, but all the effects are in stereo, so you get the stereo effect sound, but the instruments are mixed in mono so that the audience doesn't loose stage left's sound if they are standing on the stage right side. hope that makes sense.

cool, thanks.

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 04:17:27 PM »
I was just reading another thread where someone was talking about doing M/S at a bigger shed.  That caused me to wonder, is the PA usually mixed for stereo at the bigger venues?  Seems to me that they'd probably be more of a mono mix considering the majority of the audience is in the prox of one or the other of the PA stacks.

What is coming from the speaker stacks is only one half of the stereo equation.  Even if the PA is mono, you still want to capture the ambiance in stereo and have a proper image image upon playback.  My point is, it shouldn't really matter if the venue is broadcasting in stereo, you should still consider it stereo.  The placement of you mics should still be made the same way, as you are trying to capture everything acuratly with two mics, so upon playback with two speakers, you get the image right.  Forget about what is coming from the PA system, think about how it will playback over your speakers.  That is where the "image" matters...

What is coming from the speaker stacks is only one half of the stereo equation.  Playback is the other. Even if the PA is mono, you still want to capture the ambiance in stereo and have a proper image upon stereo playback.  The placement of your two mics should consider both the scene you are trying to capture as well as the playback environment.  If logic tells you to point the mics straight at the speaker stack, I don’t blame you.  This approach might provide great music-to-crowd ratio, but at the expense of lifelike imaging.  Forget about what is coming from the PA system, think about how it will playback over your speakers.  That is where the "image" matters...   The distance between the venues two pa stacks is how the mic configuration should be calculated.  It really doesn’t matter to me at all if the material is panned between the two stacks.  my $0.02

EDIT:revised thoughts...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 11:40:22 PM by Javier Cinakowski »
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com