Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: For 20 bucks, would this work?  (Read 3400 times)

Offline bconnolly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
For 20 bucks, would this work?
« on: January 02, 2006, 11:06:06 PM »
I don't really open tape but I'm often in situations where I am able to for various reasons so I'd like to get together an open-tape rig.  With that in mind, I need a microphone bar to mount on a light stand and I found this on BHPV:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=286149&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

It's AKG so I know it's solid but I'm wondering if it'll work for basic DIN configs?  I don't plan on doing X/Y or anything fancy.  Just DIN and A/B configs so I figure this one would work.  I just wanted some of your opinions before I place my order.

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So much music, so little time.
Re: For 20 bucks, would this work?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 11:14:41 PM »
that's probably the most common t-bar you'll see tapers using. You can do just about every config with it, and it is easy to mod if you need more vert spacing.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline dgodwin

• AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 11:20:11 PM »
There's also a few for sale in the yard sale.  Heck, mine's for sale, and it's not even listed in my fs thread. 

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 11:23:07 PM »
Well slap my ass and feed me creamed corn.  Actually, no, don't do that.  Do the opposite: Tell me if this stand would work:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=5583&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Here's hoping I win the eBay auction on for the UA-5 so I can run AKG C1000S > UA-5 > MT 24/96.  That'd be a nice lil' rig

Offline Diamond_D

• Taperssection Member
  • Who's not honoring me now?
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 12:01:47 AM »
that stand should be solid, but if you're looking for something cheaper, check out something like this from this seller (no affiliation). They had a bunch of sizes. I bought a 10' one last year for about $35 with shipping, and it's worked out great. You might need an adapter for the top though, it's got a 1/8" male screw end, most taping stuff has a 3/8".
SP-C4's > Canare Star Quads > UA5 (bm2p+) > H120

"Drums, Guitars, and Death. They finally got it right."
        Beavis & Butthead

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 11:57:15 AM »
Well slap my ass and feed me creamed corn.
LMAO
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 01:29:20 PM »
Since I already have this thread kicking around, can someone set me straight on shock mounts for the AKG C1000S?  All of the shock mount specifications in the archive thread are for tiny mics and the C1000S is over an inch wide.  What do people use for wider diameter mics?  I have the mic clips that they came with but I'd really like to cradle them in some mounts so I don't have to deal with stand-bumping so much.

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 01:33:42 PM »
The only shocks I ever found that would work are the AT8415s and the Sabra Som SSMs.

FWIW, the C100Os are internally shockmounted. You should be fine with just the standard clips that come with the mics.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006, 01:40:54 PM »
FWIW, the C100Os are internally shockmounted. You should be fine with just the standard clips that come with the mics.

But.... But... I don't want to look like a rube in front of the other tapers.  "Go home you mic-clipping loser."  That is what they will say to me as I duct tape my stereo bar to a broom handle with tears in my eyes.

I guess you are right, though.  When I was putting batteries in the mics I noticed that the mic itself was independently suspended in the body.  I'll look into those two you mentioned, though.

EDIT:

The Sabra SSM-1's and the AT8415's are the same price at bhphotovideo but the AT8415's seem to have a sturdier build quality.  Does that sound accurate?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 01:46:16 PM by mojomonkee »

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006, 02:06:28 PM »

But.... But... I don't want to look like a rube in front of the other tapers.  "Go home you mic-clipping loser."  That is what they will say to me as I duct tape my stereo bar to a broom handle with tears in my eyes.

I guess you are right, though.  When I was putting batteries in the mics I noticed that the mic itself was independently suspended in the body.  I'll look into those two you mentioned, though.

EDIT:

The Sabra SSM-1's and the AT8415's are the same price at bhphotovideo but the AT8415's seem to have a sturdier build quality.  Does that sound accurate?

If they're the same price, definitely go with the ATs. The Sabras will work, but they're rather flimsy, and coupled with the weight of the c1000s they're not sturdy at all.

Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2006, 02:14:38 PM »
If they're the same price, definitely go with the ATs. The Sabras will work, but they're rather flimsy, and coupled with the weight of the c1000s they're not sturdy at all.

That's what it looked like to me... the plastic rings look pretty flimsy indeed.

I went ahead and ordered the 8415's and the AKG stereo microphone bar from BH.  Hopefully I'll win this UA-5 auction that's ending in a few hours and the light stand auction that ends later today.  Then I'll be snug as a bug in a Persian rug.

It'll be nice to be able to run C1000S (not great, but they'll work for now) > UA-5 > MT 24/96 in open taping situations.  It's just nice to have... options.  Ya know?

Offline T.J.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2006, 04:12:08 PM »

i've used both and would prefer the ATs too. the ATs are a lot easier to use IMO. wrapping the bands around my mics with the sambras became a pain in the ass. one benefit of the sambras is how compact they are. you can take them apart easily and fit them in a pencil case while the ATs take up more space in a gear bag.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.301 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com