Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Advice for close taping in a small club  (Read 5779 times)

Offline laptaper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Advice for close taping in a small club
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2007, 10:46:35 AM »
Can't clamp anything.  Per bar management my rig needs to be low profile, i.e., people at the table behind me shouldn't be able to see it.  Personally I agree - while I don't want loud chatter going into my mikes (and it's the band who has the problem with this on the recordings, not I), I don't want other people to feel they have to shut up just for my recording.  I'm not paying any more than they are and it tends to build resentment that can ultimately backfire.  I don't even know if my idea of a simple tabletop stand will be allowed, since the mikes will be visible where my stealthies aren't.  Me, I'm just hoping someone doesn't dump a drink all over them.

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2007, 11:08:12 AM »
Ah, that sucks.  I recommend you talk this ensemble into another venue to take care of the nearly unwinnable issue's you're facing at this place...
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline darkfunk

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2007, 11:12:02 AM »
with such a cooperative band i'd be thinking multitrack (esp. if they have piano)...sorry if thats sacrilege!  ambient stereo pair is always the better part of my mix but it's nice to have some post-production mixing options when working in 'acoustically challenged' spaces. 

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2007, 11:35:02 AM »
Can't clamp anything.  Per bar management my rig needs to be low profile, i.e., people at the table behind me shouldn't be able to see it.  Personally I agree - while I don't want loud chatter going into my mikes (and it's the band who has the problem with this on the recordings, not I), I don't want other people to feel they have to shut up just for my recording.  I'm not paying any more than they are and it tends to build resentment that can ultimately backfire.  I don't even know if my idea of a simple tabletop stand will be allowed, since the mikes will be visible where my stealthies aren't.  Me, I'm just hoping someone doesn't dump a drink all over them.

Seriously, give the ideas I PM'd you about a go.  It will reduce the chatter.. enough to satisfy the band?  Won't know 'till you try, but you can't get any lower profile than that.  Or maybe try taping your 4061's to the front edge or corners of the table (you might tape the wires to the underside of the table with the mic grids just barely sticking out past the front edge from underneath).  Very low pro and drink protected too.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com