Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need new small omnis  (Read 1162 times)

Offline nicegrin

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
Need new small omnis
« on: December 28, 2023, 08:30:51 AM »
Hey guys!

Long time since I bought some new mics. Need some soild omnis I can use for stack taping loud rock stuff with.
Small and portable. Budget up to $1500.
Had these in the past but need something ideally better.

*Sennheiser MKE2 - OK but overloaded easily
*Countryman b3s - Nice but had issues with overloading despite mod.
*Nevaton MCE400s - Great sounding but matching was an issue and also build quality not great but of the 3 I liked these the most sonically. Very "round" sound and not as harsh as DPA 4061s, so something sonically similar to these would be great.

What are the best options these days? And also what powering options to consider?

Thanks!

« Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 08:32:31 AM by nicegrin »
Toy Box:

MICS:

Omnis:  6xNevaton MCE400s, Countryman b3s (modded), MM HLSOs (4.7K mod), Aevox in ear MK2s, CA-11s
Cards:   Schoeps MK4s with Schoeps CMRS, Milab VM-44 Links, SP CMC-8,  AT853, Sennheiser MKE 104, MM HLSC-1s, ECM-717
Hypers: AKG CK93s (modded), SP CMC-8, AT853, Audix 1280s (Church actives).

INBETWEEN: Naiant Tinybox (CMR mod), Naiant Tinybox (p48 mod), Naiant PFA, CA-9100, CA Ugly, Denecke PS-2 mini, MM-MBM, MM-CBM, SP SPSB-8, custom nuetrik XLR to TRS cables, 5 pin to 5 pin extension cable. 

DECKS: A10, M10, R05, Tascam DR-05, R09-HR , MT2, Sharp MS-H702, MZ-R 70.

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Need new small omnis
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2023, 09:06:25 AM »
I’m surprised you say the Sennheiser mke2 overloaded easily.

Were they powered with 9 volt battery box?

Were they the MM knockoffs?

I use sennheiser mke2 mke1 mke platinum on the loudest stacks with a 9 volt battery box and there is absolutely zero distortion.

Offline nicegrin

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2023, 10:04:44 AM »
I’m surprised you say the Sennheiser mke2 overloaded easily.

Were they powered with 9 volt battery box?

Were they the MM knockoffs?

I use sennheiser mke2 mke1 mke platinum on the loudest stacks with a 9 volt battery box and there is absolutely zero distortion.

Yes MMs. And yes powered by a standard 9v BB like SPSB-11 or similar.

Toy Box:

MICS:

Omnis:  6xNevaton MCE400s, Countryman b3s (modded), MM HLSOs (4.7K mod), Aevox in ear MK2s, CA-11s
Cards:   Schoeps MK4s with Schoeps CMRS, Milab VM-44 Links, SP CMC-8,  AT853, Sennheiser MKE 104, MM HLSC-1s, ECM-717
Hypers: AKG CK93s (modded), SP CMC-8, AT853, Audix 1280s (Church actives).

INBETWEEN: Naiant Tinybox (CMR mod), Naiant Tinybox (p48 mod), Naiant PFA, CA-9100, CA Ugly, Denecke PS-2 mini, MM-MBM, MM-CBM, SP SPSB-8, custom nuetrik XLR to TRS cables, 5 pin to 5 pin extension cable. 

DECKS: A10, M10, R05, Tascam DR-05, R09-HR , MT2, Sharp MS-H702, MZ-R 70.

Offline breakonthru

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2023, 10:10:47 AM »
with that budget you could get DPA 2006s which arent really small but are high quality omnis. they do however use the same elements of the 4061 which you described as "harsh" (first time ive heard that - i always thought the consensus was that 4061 are neutral, perhaps too revealing?)

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2023, 01:42:39 PM »
with that budget you could get DPA 2006s which arent really small but are high quality omnis. they do however use the same elements of the 4061 which you described as "harsh" (first time ive heard that - i always thought the consensus was that 4061 are neutral, perhaps too revealing?)
the "book" on 4061's is neutral, however, their high output may show up as harsh depending on pre-amp/battery box etc. I love mine, but we don't use them  >:D      yet      >:D

edit to respond to voltronic:
My statement was not comparing 4061 to 4060, my comparison is AKG ck22|460 pre-amps (bodies) vs DPA 4061 -where the DPA's are 6 DB "hotter" in output signal than the AKG's.
either way, 4061 are great sounding and very neutral IMO.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 02:59:57 PM by rocksuitcase »
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2023, 02:41:20 PM »
the "book" on 4061's is neutral, however, their high output may show up as harsh depending on pre-amp/battery box etc. I love mine, but we don't use them  >:D      yet      >:D

The 4061s are not "high output" at all. In fact, the 4061 is the lower-output / less sensitive version of the 4060. Maybe what you're hearing is that the standard short grids on the capsule have a 12 kHz bump in response to increase speech intelligibility when worn as a lav under clothing. You can easily correct this with EQ, as I do with all of my recordings made with these mics.

Otherwise, there is neutral as you can get and handle high SPL with ease.

Here's an old folder of samples I made with concerts I recorded using them. All had compensating EQ in the treble.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/auvka6syq8jgopr/AAArGSLuwKHxTmim80n6vFIDa?dl=0
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2023, 03:50:08 PM »
DPAs

I stupidly sold mine, and wish I had them back for a stealthier rig for stack tapes. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2023, 05:12:46 PM »
DPA 4061.  Can EQ them to whatever response you want IME.   Or if not wanting to EQ, just remove the short grids entirely for less high frequency boost above 10khz if that's what you are looking for.  The long grids are usless IMO, except you can pop the screens out and then sand them down to the same length as the short grids for use as spares (no need to replace the screens).. or sand them down farther for less high frequency boost than the short grids provide.  Once you sand them down far enough it becomes equivalent to using no grid.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline SMsound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2023, 08:52:36 PM »
The new 4060 CORE can take more SPL's than the old ones.

The old logic was to get 4061's not 4060's so you wouldn't overload on loud sources (4061 has a worse noise floor). But with the new CORE model 4060/4061 specs, this often isn't necessary. I corresponded with DPA engineers who say nowadays they sell 4061's for bodypacks that can't take a hot signal (so the 4061 basically acts like a pad), but if your recorder can take a hot signal like a MixPre or Zoom F3 or whatever, then 4060's are fine on many loud sources like inside the lid of the piano. Maybe loud shows are even louder, not sure.

waves -> bits

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2023, 09:37:52 AM »
That's true.  Reduced distortion and higher max SPL with CORE versions.

But since the request specifies "stack taping loud rock stuff" 4061 is probably the right choice.  Noise floor won't be an issue at all there.  It's quiet acoustic stuff with church mouse audiences in especially quiet rooms where 4060 outperforms 4061 in typical taper use.

The practical issue other than that may be output level. 4060 is considerably more sensitive than 4061 and its higher output level at high SPLs can sometimes overdrive small preamps that may have weak batteries and recorders which lack sufficient headroom.  The flip side of that is less gain is required, so a battery box rather than preamp may suffice.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.105 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com