Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ISO a good pre/da box...but i dont know what is out there.  (Read 3207 times)

Offline dunebug81

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
ISO a good pre/da box...but i dont know what is out there.
« on: February 10, 2006, 01:20:58 AM »
Sony just released a new version of sonic stage that will allow recordings made digitally (optical) to be converted into wav.  So im thinkin I should pick up a small preamp / a-d converter...if there is such an animal.  I run DPA mics into a coresound battery box but i can modify the cables to run into anything.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
Re: ISO a good pre/da box...but i dont know what is out there.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 01:32:39 AM »
http://taperssection.com/index.php?board=46.0

Budget?
Open or stealth?
Recorder?  (And are you willing to change recorders?)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 01:58:22 AM »
http://taperssection.com/index.php?board=46.0

Budget?
Open or stealth?
Recorder?  (And are you willing to change recorders?)

$200-$500, stealth, Sony HIMD recorder and no i dont want to change recorders.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 02:30:02 AM »
My two offerings:

<1> DPA MMA6000 preamp (no outboard ADC - use your MD).  May not be real easy to switch from the (I assume) 1/8" stereo mini plug to 2 x microdot connectors, so you may be best of selling the mic/batt box kit and replacing it with new mics w/ microdot connectors + the preamp.

<2> Keep your current mics / batt box and replace your MD with the Edirol R-1 (a bit out of budget after adding a CF card - and I know you said you wanted to keep the recorder, but this is a great option)

I suspect others will chime in...
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 02:49:31 AM »
My two offerings:

<1> DPA MMA6000 preamp (no outboard ADC - use your MD).  May not be real easy to switch from the (I assume) 1/8" stereo mini plug to 2 x microdot connectors, so you may be best of selling the mic/batt box kit and replacing it with new mics w/ microdot connectors + the preamp.

Its actually a 3 pin mini xlr (male) on each mic that run into 2 females that terminates into a 4 pin mini xlr (female) that goes into the battery box.  out of the battery box comes the 1/8" into the MD.  I guess I should get some new mics since one of the died on me last year and have only been using one mic since.

<2> Keep your current mics / batt box and replace your MD with the Edirol R-1 (a bit out of budget after adding a CF card - and I know you said you wanted to keep the recorder, but this is a great option)

I suspect others will chime in...

I really dont want to ditch my recorder just yet.  it looks as if sony is going to attempt to breathe some new life into their MD line.  I guess I'll have to make the switch to something if sony does let it die.

I tested the line in tonight and turned the gain up to 30/30 and it only went about 40% of the level meter.  When I run mic in i have it set at 12-14/30 and thats at about 90% of the level meter.  So if i run line in ill need something to boost the input into the MD.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Offline rsimms3

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 06:17:17 PM »
You mentioned the optical input, sounds like you want an AD20.  I stealth with one.  The mod to remove the XLRs is easy or if you don't want to mod you can get the cable, but then you will have an additional cable to carry besides the optical cable not to mention the mics.
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 03:01:02 AM »
You mentioned the optical input, sounds like you want an AD20.  I stealth with one.  The mod to remove the XLRs is easy or if you don't want to mod you can get the cable, but then you will have an additional cable to carry besides the optical cable not to mention the mics.

I was looking for a 2 in 1 piece of gear.  I think I may get that battery box/pre that DPA makes for the 4060s.  Its $400 bux which doesnt leave room in the budget for a A/D convert but I can always buy that later.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Offline TheWildKindness

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Archivist Records
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 11:22:10 AM »

I was looking for a 2 in 1 piece of gear.  I think I may get that battery box/pre that DPA makes for the 4060s.  Its $400 bux which doesnt leave room in the budget for a A/D convert but I can always buy that later.

Why not just pick up a UA-5...you can usually find one on the board for about $200 - $250. Also check Ebay..I just picked up one for $190.
For Sale: (BM2p+ mod) UA-5 & 20 GB JB3 - http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=127307.0

Stealth: AT831's > SP-SPSB-1 > JB3

Open: (BM2p+ mod) UA-5 > JB3

Extras: Sharp MD-DR480

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 12:14:47 PM »

Why not just pick up a UA-5...you can usually find one on the board for about $200 - $250. Also check Ebay..I just picked up one for $190.

That thing looks cool but is pretty much unstealthable.  There is no way I could get that into the HOB with all their stupid security.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com