Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PS2 > ?? > R09  (Read 2837 times)

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "Ugh, is that digi noise?"
PS2 > ?? > R09
« on: May 28, 2007, 08:50:24 PM »
I'm looking to shrink down my rig before festival season. Currently, I'm running my PS2 > XLR(M)-XLR(M) > XLR(F)-RCA(F) > 1/4(M)-RCA(f) > RCA-1/8 to get into my R09. The line transformers in the mix seem to work, but the setup is over 7" long!! There has to be a smaller setup.

I have this cable, but it's not working between my PS2 and R09. I imagine I need some kind of line transformers - what do I need?

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • it's recreational
Re: PS2 > ?? > R09
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 11:33:20 PM »
I have this cable

Maybe try another cable like the one you already have.  I've used a similar cable between a ps2 and an r-09 and it worked good for me.  I have also seen at least 1 ps2 that has been modded w/ the xlr's removed and had a 1/8 instead.

Offline tenesejedd

• Taperssection Member
  • Never trust a woman who wears her pants too tight
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 11:54:13 PM »
I have this cable

Maybe try another cable like the one you already have.  I've used a similar cable between a ps2 and an r-09 and it worked good for me.  I have also seen at least 1 ps2 that has been modded w/ the xlr's removed and had a 1/8 instead.

you do need a line booster in the chain, otherwise you won't have a strong enough signal to record. Hosa makes line boosters, do a search for them on the hosa website. It is an xlr>1/4. You may need a variety of interconnects to get it to 1/8"
Avantone CK-1>Busman T-Mod FR2-LE
Edirol R-1

I see you scissoring me with your eyes...

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 06:22:28 PM »
I have this cable

you do need a line booster in the chain, otherwise you won't have a strong enough signal to record. Hosa makes line boosters, do a search for them on the hosa website. It is an xlr>1/4. You may need a variety of interconnects to get it to 1/8"

It depends on what type of music is being recorded and what mics are used.  I went ps2>r-09 with no problem at all for Joe Bonnamasa.  Had to set the gain pretty high on the r-09, around 25 IIRC, but it worked and sounded fine.  I'd at least try that first before spending $$ on xformers.  I don't think it would work too good on acoustic or quiet sources, though.

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 09:44:29 PM »
I've run a cable like you show between my Naks and the R-09 and it worked (Naks run on wierd batteries, so I don't need the PS/2).  Naks are known to have low output, and I had to use "mic in" with high sensitivity I believe.  I've got a Church ST-9100 preamp on the way, and this is one of the ways I plan to use it.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Taperssection Member
  • "Ugh, is that digi noise?"
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 06:48:58 PM »
Does anyone know if this will go from lo-z to hi-z?

I'd like to add that gain stage before the audio hits the R09.

These are the adapters I'm using now, and it's just too big:

F>F XLR Coupler (x2)
M XLR > Transformer > RCA F (x2)
1/4 Phono > RCA female (x2)
RCA > 1/8 (Similar) (x1)

That works great. Line level from the PS2 - It's just monsterous - about a foot long. Would the above transformer work with the previously mentioned Hosa cable? Or would it not perform the lo-z hi-z transformation?

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 08:29:08 PM »
I don't think you need transformers here.  Without rambling on about volts/ohms/amps, I think lo-Z mics can go into a Hi-Z preamp OK.  The problem comes if you try to run Hi-Z mics into a Lo-Z input.  That's what I've read, and the reasons make sense.  Try it... the proof is in the pudding.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com